Face of Mary Jane Kelly
Latest topics
» Mary Jane Kelly at Salvation Army Sunday service
Yesterday at 13:50 by Maybea

» Improper Methods Used by Waxworks
Thu 18 Dec 2014 - 0:44 by Mr Hyde

» Kitty Ronan's Real Name - Edith Dresch
Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 16:23 by Karen

» Walter Dew's Retirement
Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 16:22 by Karen

» John Rowlands Threatens a Woman
Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 16:21 by Karen

» John Alexander Fitzmaurice
Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 16:19 by Karen

» Inspector Thomas Roots
Mon 15 Dec 2014 - 20:51 by Karen

» Charles Pateman, Missionary who knew Kelly and Eddowes
Sat 13 Dec 2014 - 13:21 by Maybea

» The Thrawl Street Mission House
Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 14:47 by Maybea

» Mary Jane Kelly in The War Cry?
Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 13:40 by Maybea



You are not connected. Please login or register

 »  »  » 

Details of Nichols' Murder and Inquest

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

11 Re: Details of Nichols' Murder and Inquest on Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 7:48




Mr. Baxter resumed the inquest at the Working Lads' institute, Whitechapel-road, on Monday, relative to the death of Mary Ann Nicholls, the victim of the Buck's-row tragedy, on Friday morning, Aug. 31.
Dr. Llewellyn, recalled, said he had re-examined the body and there was no part of the viscera missing.
Emma Green, who lives in the cottage next to the scene of the murder in Buck's-row, stated that she had heard no unusual sound during the night.
Thomas Ede, a signalman in the employ of the East London Railway company, said he saw a man with a knife on the morning of the 8th.
The coroner was of opinion that this incident could have no reference to the present inquiry, as the 8th was the day of the Hanbury-street murder. He would, however, accept the evidence.
Witness then said: On Saturday, the 8th inst., at noon, I was coming down the Cambridge-heath-road, and when near the Foresters' Arms I saw a man on the other side of the street. His peculiar appearance made me take notice of him. He seemed to have a wooden arm. I watched him until level with the Foresters' Arms, and then he put his hand to his trousers pocket, and I saw about four inches of a knife. I followed him, but he quickened his pace, and I lost sight of him.
Inspector Helson, in reply to the coroner, stated that the man had not been found.
Witness described the man as 5ft. 8in. high, about 35 years of age, with a dark moustache and whiskers. He wore a double-peaked cap, a short dark brown jacket, and a pair of clean white overalls over dark trousers. The man walked as though he had a stiff knee, and he had a fearful look about the eyes. He seemed to be a mechanic.
By the Jury: He was not a muscular man.
Walter Purkess, manager, residing at Essex wharf, deposed that his house fronted Buck's-row, opposite the gates where deceased was discovered. He slept in the front room on the second floor, and had heard no sound, neither had his wife.
Alfred Malshaw, a night watchman in Winthorpe-street, had also heard no cries or noise. He admitted he sometimes dozed.
The Coroner: I suppose your watching is not up to much?
The Witness: I don't know. It is 13 long hours for 3s., and find your own coke.
By the Jury: In a straight line I was about 30 yards from the spot where the deceased was found.
Police-constable John Thail stated that the nearest point on his beat to Buck's-row was Brady-street. He passed the end every 30 minutes on the Thursday night, and nothing attracted his attention until 3:45 a.m., when he was signalled be the flash of the lantern of another constable (Neale). He went to him, and found Neale standing by the body of the deceased, and witness was dispatched for a doctor. About ten minutes after he had fetched the surgeon he saw two workmen standing with Neale. He did not know who they were. The body was taken to the mortuary, and witness remained on the spot. Witness searched Essex wharf, the Great Eastern railway arches, the East London railway line, and the District railway as far as Thames-street, and detected no marks of blood or anything of a suspicious character.
By the Juror: When I went to the horse-slaughterer's for my cape I did not say that I was going to fetch a doctor, as a murder had been committed. Another constable had taken my cape there.
By the Coroner: There were one or two working men going down Brady-street shortly before I was called by Neale.
Robert Baul, 30, Forster-street, Whitechapel, carman, said as he was going to work at Cobbett's-court, Spitalfields, he saw in Buck's-row a man standing in the middle of the road. As witness drew closer he walked towards the pavement, and he (Baul) stepped in the roadway to pass him. The man touched witness on the shoulder and asked him to look at the woman, who was lying across the gateway. He felt her hands and face, and they were cold. The clothes were disarranged, and he helped to pull them down. Before he did so he detected a slight movement as of breathing, but very faint. The man walked with him to Montague-street, and there they saw a policeman. Not more than four minutes had elapsed from the time he first saw the woman. Before he reached Buck's-row he had seen no one running away.
Robert Mann, the keeper of the mortuary, said the police came to the workhouse, of which he was an inmate. He went, in consequence, to the mortuary at five a.m. He saw the body placed there, and then locked the place up and kept the keys. After breakfast witness and Hatfield, another inmate of the workhouse, undressed the woman.
The police were not present? - No; there was no one present. Inspector Helson was not there.
Had you been told not to touch it? - No.
Did you see Inspector Helson? - I can't say.
Was he present? - I can't say.
You cannot describe where the blood was? - No, sir; I cannot.
How did you get the clothes off? - Hatfield had to cut them down the front.
A Juryman: Was the body undressed in the mortuary or in the yard? - In the mortuary.
The Coroner: It appears the mortuary-keeper is subject to fits, and neither his memory nor statements are reliable.
James Hatfield, an inmate of the Whitechapel workhouse, said he accompanied Mann, the last witness, to the mortuary, and undressed the deceased. Inspector Helson was not there.
Who was there? - Only me and my mate.
What did you take off first - An ulster, which I put aside on the ground. We then took the jacket off, and put it in the same place. The outside dress was loose, and we did not cut it. The bands of the petticoats were cut, and I then tore them down with my hand. I tore the chemise down the front. There were no stays.
Who gave you instructions to do all this? - No one gave us any. We did it to have the body ready for the doctor.
Who told you a doctor was coming? - I heard someone speak about it.
Was anyone present whilst you were undressing the body? - Not as I was aware of.
Having finished, did you make the post-mortem examination? - No, the police came.
Oh, it was not necessary for you to go on with it! The police came? - Yes, they examined the petticoats, and found the words "Lambeth workhouse" on the bands.
It was cut out? - I cut it out.
Who told you to do it? - Inspector Helson.
Is that the first time you saw Inspector Helson on that morning? - Yes; I arrived at about half-past six.
Would you be surprised to find that there were stays? - No.
A Juryman: Did you not try the stays on in the afternoon to show me how short they were? - I forgot it.
The Coroner: He admits his memory is bad.
Witness: Yes.
The Coroner: We cannot do more. (To the police): There was a man who passed down Buck's-row when the doctor was examining the body. Have you heard anything of him?
Inspector Abberline: We have not been able to find him.
Inspector Spratley, J division, stated he had made inquiries in Buck's-row, but not at all of the houses.
The Coroner: That will have to be done.
Witness added that he made inquiries at Green's, the wharf, Snider's factory, and also at the Great Eastern wharf, and no one had heard anything unusual on the morning of the murder. He had not called at any of the houses in Buck's-row, excepting at Mrs. Green's. He saw the Board school keeper.
The Coroner: Is there not a gateman at the Great Eastern railway? - I thought we should have had him here.
Witness: I saw him that morning, but he said he had heard nothing.
The witness added that when at the mortuary he had given instructions that the body was not to be touched.
The Coroner: Is there any other evidence?
Inspector Helson: No; not at present.
The foreman thought that had a reward been offered by the Government, after the murder in George-yard, very probably the two later murders would not have been perpetrated. It mattered little into whose hands the money went so long as they could find out the monster in their midst, who was terrorising everybody, and making people ill. There were four horrible murders remaining undiscovered.
The coroner considered the first one the worst, and it had attracted the least attention.
The foreman intimated that he knew a gentleman who would be willing to give 25 pounds himself, and he hoped that the Government would offer a reward. These poor people had souls like anybody else.
The coroner understood that no rewards were now offered in any case. It mattered not whether the victims were rich or poor. There was no surety that a rich person would not be the next.
The Foreman: If that should be, then there will be a large reward.
The inquiry was adjourned until Saturday.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly London Newspaper, September 23, 1888, Page 8

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

12 Re: Details of Nichols' Murder and Inquest on Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 7:51


Coverage Of Mary Ann Nichols' murder in the Police Illustrated News:


Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

13 Re: Details of Nichols' Murder and Inquest on Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 8:23


A good deal of excitement has been aroused in Whitechapel by the murder of a woman, whose dead body was found by a policeman in the early hours of Friday morning, lying in the pathway of Buck's-row with the throat cut and with wounds in the abdomen. The woman has been identified as Mary Ann Nicholls, aged forty-two, who has for a few years been living apart from her husband, a printer's machinist. She was so poor that it is believed that robbery could not have been a motive for the crime. As yet no clue whatever has been found as to the murderer, and the mystery is increased by the fact that within the last twelve months two other women of ill fame have been murdered within 300 yards of the spot. The police believe that all three crimes are the work of one and the same man.

Source: The Guardian, September 5, 1888, Page 1307

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

14 Re: Details of Nichols' Murder and Inquest on Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 8:48



Like a good many others, I have taken my turn at trying to discover the murderer of the poor woman in Hanbury-street, Spitalfields.
Don't for a moment suppose that I have been hunting for the "leather apron." I will leave half tipsy women and reporters in search of sensation to look after him. If all the men who wear leather aprons and knives, and have ugly faces, and walk noiselessly because their boots are worn out, and attempt occasionally to blackmail women, are to be arrested as murderers, we shall have nearly all the station-houses in the district filled with journeymen cabinetmakers - good, bad, and indifferent.
Firstly, then, after careful inquiry, I find there is nothing whatever to indicate that the same man killed her as killed Mary Ann Nicholls. There was almost unquestionably a bayonet wound in Mary Ann Nicholls's body, and many other signs pointed directly to her brutal assassination having been the work of one or more drunken soldiers. It was clear, moreover, that the attempt to murder Mary Ann Nicholls was not the desire for plunder. Robbery had nothing to do with that murder.
Annie Chapman, on the other hand, was killed for the sake of three bogus rings she wore. Her throat was cut and her rings wrenched off first, and if then her brutal murderer ripped her up, it was probably because the details of Mary Ann Nicholls's death were in his mind and he felt an impulse to imitate them.
I know the districts in which these two murders have been committed exceedingly well. There are in it any number of low lodging-houses, where men and women get beds for the night at rates varying from threepence to sixpence. In arrangement they are all alike. There is a large kitchen, or general room, in which a big fire is kept up, and which is filled with seats, a long deal table, and a few pegs on which to hang things. This room is always well-lighted; a man covered with blood, as the murderer of Annie Chapman must have been, could not enter such a place without being seen.
Upstairs the various rooms are fitted with little narrow beds, probably about two feet or two feet three inches wide, placed close to each other. In each room there is a police notice up, notifying the number of people who may occupy the apartment. These rooms are invariably nearly full. Their occupants are the sharpest-eyed people in the world. A man covered with blood could not enter there without being noticed.
But he could not pass the door, in the first place, without being seen, for at it a man always sits or stands to note the outgoers and to take money of the incomers; and he is lynx-eyed enough, in all conscience. Nobody covered with blood could pass him unseen.
Having, then, gone all over the ground carefully, I have come to these conclusions: -
Firstly, that the man who killed Annie Chapman is a man who lives habitually in one or more lodging-houses.
Secondly, that he is at this moment well known to the keeper at least of that house, if not to one or two of the inmates as the murderer.
Thirdly, that he is not far away from the scene of the crime, and that he has no pecuniary means of escape.
Fourthly, that he had nothing whatever to do with the Mary Ann Nicholls murder, and simply killed Annie Chapman for the sake of her rings.
Fifthly, that a police notification to the effect that concealers of the murderer, after a certain date, would be indicted when discovered as accessories after the fact, and that a reward of 200 pounds would be given for news of the murderer, would produce this scoundrel in a very short time.
Sixthly, that the man whom Taylor saw with blood on his hands is not likely to be the man who is wanted. The murder was committed much earlier - at least two hours - than is commonly supposed, and the murderer got to shelter very soon afterwards - before daylight broke, at any rate.
Seventhly, that the murder is owing in large part to the very inefficient police protection of the district. In going about the streets, I saw only one or two policemen when I ought to have passed a dozen, at least. And I wondered not that Annie Chapman had been killed, but that many more had not been done to death in like manner.


Source: The Echo, Monday September 10, 1888

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

15 Re: Details of Nichols' Murder and Inquest on Thu 27 Oct 2011 - 1:26


THE YEAR 1888.

The list of calamities at home and abroad in 1888 is a heavy one, and some startling crimes have been recorded. The body of Mr. Archibald M'Neil, a London journalist, was found on the beach at Boulogne under circumstances which pointed to murder, on the 6th of January, after the unfortunate gentleman had been mysteriously missing for some three weeks. Over a million deaths were occasioned by the overflowing of the Yellow River in China just after the new year. On the 4th of January the Bolton Theatre was destroyed by fire. Surgeon Major Cross was hanged at Cork on the 10th for the murder of his wife. A fatal fire occurred in Houndsditch on the 20th; and on the 4th of the month following a serious riot occurred in the Spanish copper mines at Rio Tinto. Thirty-one persons lost their lives through a cyclone in Illinois on February 19th, and on the 27th 27 persons were killed by a steam-ferry explosion in San Francisco Bay. The Banquet Theatre was burned down on March 20th, 50 people perishing in the flames. Two hundred people met with an awful fate in New York on the 12th of the same month in a terrific snowstorm. Earthquake shocks were experienced in North Wales on April 12th. On the 16th the steamer Vena was run down off the Goodwins, 12 persons being drowned. The Grantham Theatre was destroyed by fire on the 22nd, and on the 28th 12 lives were lost through a collision off the Isle of Wight. Admiral Rider accidentally fell from Pimlico Pier on April 30th, and when he was recovered life was found to be extinct. On May 14th a colliery accident brought five persons in the Ogmore Valley, in Glamorganshire, to an untimely end. Mrs. Wright was murdered by daylight in her own dwelling, in Canonbury, on the 16th; Walter Webb was knocked on the head on the 22nd by the convict Jackson in Strangeways Gaol, the murderer afterwards effecting a sensational escape, and remaining, despite the hue and cry, unarrested for many days; and on the 24th a young man was stabbed to death by one of a gang of roughs in Regent's Park. Severe thunderstorms were experienced over England and Scotland on May 19th. On the 30th six shopwomen in the Edgware-road were burned to death as a result of the careless throwing down of a lighted match. A tragic explosion occurred on the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad earlier on in the same month, 30 passengers being injured and eight killed outright. In June heavy and disastrous outbursts of lightning and thunder broke over the south and west of England; and a church in Galicia was also struck by the electric current during divine service, many persons being more or less hurt. A swarm of locusts 12 miles long and six broad devastated part of the Algerian province of Constantine on June 13th. A great strike occurred in Pennsylvania on the 3rd of July, a sad fatal fire in the De Beers Mine at Kimberley on the 11th, and a dreadful volcanic eruption in Japan killed over a thousand people on the 29th. A collision off Table Island between two steamers caused the drowning of a hundred persons on August 14th, and a firework fatality of a painful character took place at Wandsworth on the 3rd; while on the evening of Bank Holiday a serious railway collision at Hampton Wick occasioned the deaths of six persons and injury to twenty-three others. Elland's Bank at Kettering suspended payment on August 3rd, and the murder at Surbiton on the 26th of Major Hare by his son, and the subsequent suicide of the latter created quite a shock in the neighbourhood. The same date witnessed the tragic end of the career of Mr. Simmons, the aeronaut at Maldon. On the 31st of this month Mary Ann Nichols was found foully murdered in Whitechapel; on the 8th of the month following another woman of the unfortunate class was discovered hacked to death in East London; on the 30th two other female corpses were found under horrible circumstances; and on the 9th of November yet another of these revolting crimes was perpetrated in the same neighbourhood, the victim being, as in some former cases, mutilated in a most fiendish manner. The atrocities roused the most profound feeling of alarm, and rewards were offered and promises of pardon held out to accomplices, but despite all this, and the strenuous endeavours of the police and local vigilance committees, the inhuman wretch or wretches concerned contrived to evade arrest, the crimes in each case being accomplished in such a manner as to leave no trace of the culprit.
An earthquake at Patras wrought much havoc to property, and caused the loss of several lives on September 9th, and destructive floods took place in Austria and Bavaria during the month; there was a fatal railway accident near Dijon on the 5th, and 80 lives were sacrificed by a collision on the 13th off Port Luz, in the Canaries. Serious inundations occurred in Switzerland and France on and about the 4th of October; a petroleum ship exploded with a terrific report in Calais Harbour on the 16th, killing four persons, while on the 10th a terrible catastrophe took place on the Lehigh Valley Railway, 61 poor people being killed and over 100 others injured. The mutilated trunk of a female was found in a vault of the new Police Office buildings being erected on the Thames Embankment on the 2nd, and afterwards an arm belonging to the body and other remains were discovered, but the mystery as to who the person was was not unravelled. Off the Isle of Wight a collision took place on November 4th, and a number of lives were lost; and during a heavy gale four brave lifeboats-men were drowned near Yarmouth. Several persons were killed by a naphtha explosion at Bristol on November 21st. On December 8th, a railway train, being ferried across the Haarlem river in America, was destroyed by fire, but fortunately all the passengers escaped. A serious collision occurred on December 8th on the Thames between the General Steam Navigation Company's Hawk, bound for Hamburg, and a collier from the north. Fifty passengers and the crew of the Hawk were saved by the captain running his vessel ashore in the fog, but from the collier a stowaway was drowned.

Source: Hornsey and Middlesex Messenger, Friday December 28, 1888

Last edited by Karen on Sun 1 Jul 2012 - 12:45; edited 1 time in total

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

16 Re: Details of Nichols' Murder and Inquest on Sun 1 Jul 2012 - 12:44



On Saturday Mr. Wynne E. Baxter, coroner for the South-East division of Middlesex, opened an inquiry at the Working Lads' Institute, Whitechapel-road, into the circumstances relating to the death of a woman, who was most foully murdered early the previous morning by some unknown person or persons. The first witness was Edward Walker, of 15, Maidwell street, Albany-road, Camberwell, who deposed that to the best of his belief deceased was his daughter, Mary Ann Nicholls, but he had not seen her for three years. He recognised her by a little mark she had on her forehead when a child. His daughter was married 22 years ago to William Nicholls, a machinist, who was still alive; they had been living apart for seven or eight years. Deceased was forty-two years of age. In answer to the Coroner witness said, previous to June, 1886, deceased lived at his house, but in consequence of her intemperate habits they did not agree, and she left to try to better herself. When she was last confined her husband "took on" with the young woman who came to nurse her, and that was the cause of the separation. The Lambeth parish authorities had summoned the husband for the non-maintenance of the children, but the summons was dismissed because it was proved that deceased was living with another man. Deceased was an inmate of Lambeth Workhouse last April, and she went from there to a situation at Wandsworth. - P.C. Niel, 97 J, deposed that as he was proceeding down Buck's-row, Whitechapel, going towards Brady-street, early on Friday morning, he noticed a figure lying in the street. He crossed the row and found the body was that of a woman. She was lying outside a gateway, nine or ten feet high, which led to some stables. There were houses from the gateway eastward, whilst a Board School occupied the westward. By the aid of his lamp, the place being very dark, he detected blood oozing from a large wound in the throat. The woman was lying on her back with her clothes disarranged; her arm was quite warm from the joints upwards; her eyes were wide open; and her bonnet was lying by her side close to her left hand. Witness dispatched a constable, who was passing Brady-street, for Dr. Llewellyn, and also sent another policeman, who was in Baker-street, for the ambulance. When the doctor arrived he found the woman was dead and ordered her removal to the mortuary, which order was executed as soon as the ambulance arrived. Inspector Spratley came to the mortuary, and, while taking a description of the deceased, turned up her clothes and found that she was disembowelled. This had not been noticed before. No money was found, but there was an unmarked white handkerchief in her pocket. In answer to the Coroner witness said there was a pool of blood in Buck's-row just where deceased's neck was. Witness that night had never been far from the spot, and he walked through Buck's-row half-an-hour before he discovered the body. At that early time in the morning there are a number of people passing along Whitechapel-road, and anyone could easily make good his escape along there. In reply to a juryman, witness said he did not see a trap in the road at all that morning. The first to arrive on the scene after he had discovered the body were two men who worked at a slaughter-house opposite. They said they knew nothing of the affair, and they had heard no screams. Witness had previously seen them at work about a quarter past three, or half-an-hour before the discovery.
Mr. H. Llewellyn, surgeon, spoke to being called to Buck's-row about four o'clock on Friday morning, and to finding deceased dead. She had severe injuries to her throat. There were no marks of any struggle or of blood, as if the body had been dragged. An hour later he made a fuller examination of the body at the mortuary, and discovered that the abdomen was very extensively cut; there were several incisions running across the abdomen, and there were three or four similar on the right side running downwards. Two or three inches from the left side was a deep wound running in a jagged manner. The incised wound in the neck was eight inches long and completely severed all the tissues down to the vertebrae. All the injuries had been done by the same instrument, which must have been a long-bladed knife, moderately sharp and used with great violence. The inquest at this stage was adjourned until Monday.
Upon the inquiry being resumed, Inspector J. Spratling, J Division, deposed to taking a description of deceased's body whilst it lay stretched on the ambulance at the mortuary, Old Montague-street. He saw the intestines were exposed by injuries to the lower part of the body, and he then sent for Dr. Llewellyn. He noticed no blood marks on deceased's legs. Witness returned to the mortuary on Friday morning about noon, when he found the body stripped, and the clothes lying in a heap in the yard. There was amongst the clothes a flannel petticoat belonging to the Workhouse, and some pieces of it bearing the words, "Lambeth Workhouse, P.R." (Prince's road), had been cut out by Inspector Helson with the object of identifying the deceased. There was blood on the upper part of the dress body, on the ulster, and also on the front of the chemise. The walls and streets immediately surrounding the spot where the body was found had been carefully examined, but nothing relating to the crime could be discovered. None of the people living in Buck's-row whom witness had seen, heard anything unusual on the night in question. In answer to a juryman witness stated, that undoubtedly the woman was murdered with her clothes on.
Henry Tompkins, of Coventry-street, Bethnal Green, a horse slaughterer in the employ of Mr. Barber, stated that he was working in the slaughterhouse, Winthrop-street, adjoining Buck's-row, from eight o'clock on Thursday night till twenty minutes past four on Friday morning. He generally went home after leaving work, but that morning he had a walk. A police constable passed the slaughterhouse about a quarter past four, and told the men there that a woman had been murdered in Buck's-row. They then went to see the dead woman. Besides witness, two other men named James Mumford and Charles Britten, worked in the slaughterhouse. Witness and Britten had been out of the slaughterhouse previously that night, namely, from twenty minutes past twelve till one o'clock, but not afterwards till they went to see the body. It was not a great distance from the slaughterhouse to the spot where the deceased was found.
Detective Inspector Helson gave evidence corroborative of the testimony of Inspector Spratling. In his opinion the murder was committed on the spot where the body was found.
P.C. Mizen spoke to receiving information of the case from a carman, who was passing by the corner of Hanbury-street, and Baker's-row about a quarter to four on Friday morning.
Charles A. Cross, carman, employed by Messrs. Pickford and Co., said when he was going to work early on Friday morning along Buck's-row, he found the body of a woman. Another man came up and witness called his attention to the body. They did not move the woman, but witness told P.C. Mizen that a woman was lying in Buck's-row "either dead or drunk."
William Nicholls, printer's machinist, living in Coburg-road, Old Kent-road, identified deceased as his wife, who separated from him eight years ago last Easter. Witness denied that he took up with a nurse when his wife left him, and said she had no occasion to separate from him.
Emily Holland, married, of Thrawl-street, Spitalfields, an acquaintance of deceased's, spoke to seeing deceased about 2:30 on Friday morning staggering along Osborne-street into Whitechapel-road. Deceased was drunk, and said she was going to get some money to pay for her lodgings. The inquest was then adjourned for a fortnight, and it was arranged that the jury should inspect the clothes of the deceased at the mortuary.


The funeral of the unfortunate woman, Mary Ann Nichols, who was murdered in Buck's-row on Friday last, took place on Thursday. The arrangements were of a very simple character. The time at which the cortege was to start was kept a profound secret, and a ruse was perpetrated in order to get the body out of the mortuary where it has lain since the day of the murder. A pair-horsed closed hearse was observed making its way down Hanbury-street, and the crowds, which numbered some thousands, made way for it to go along Old Montague-street, but instead of it doing so it passed on into the Whitechapel-road, and, doubling back, entered the mortuary by the back gate, which is situated in Chapman's-court. No one was near besides the undertaker and his men, when the remains, placed in a polished elm coffin, bearing a plate with the inscription, "Mary Ann Nichols, aged 42, died August 31st, 1888," was removed to the hearse and driven to Hanbury-street, there to await the mourners. These were late in arriving, and the two coaches were kept waiting some time in a side street. By this time the news had spread that the body was in the hearse, and people flocked round to see the coffin, and examine the plate. In this they were, however, frustrated, for a body of police, under Inspector Helston, of the H Division, surrounded the hearse and prevented their approaching too near. At last the procession started towards Ilford, where the last scene in this unfortunate drama took place. The mourners were Mr. Edward Walker, the father of the victim, and two of her children. The procession proceeded along Baker's-row, and past the corner of Buck's-row into the main road, where policemen were stationed every few yards. The houses in the neighbourhood had the blinds drawn, and much sympathy was expressed for the relatives.
Up to a late hour last night no arrest had been made in connection with the murder.

Source: The Mercury, Saturday September 8, 1888, Page 2

N.B. Later in the evening on the day this article appeared in The Mercury, the murder and mutilation of Annie Chapman would occur in Hanbury Street.

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

17 Re: Details of Nichols' Murder and Inquest on Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 6:36



On Saturday Mr. Wynne E. Baxter resumed the inquest upon the body ofsn Mary Ann Nicholls, aged 47, the victim in the Buck's-row murder, one of the series of Whitechapel tragedies. The inquiry was held at the Working Lads' Institute.
Signalman Eades was recalled to supplement his previous evidence to the effect that he had seen a man named John James carrying a knife near the scene of the murder. It transpired, however, that this man is a harmless lunatic who is well
known in the neighbourhood. The Coroner then summed up. Having reviewed the career of the deceased from the time she left her husband, and reminded the jury of the irregular life she had led for the last two years, Mr. Baxter proceeded to point
out that the unfortunate woman was last seen alive at half-past two o'clock on Saturday morning, September 1, by Mrs. Holland, who knew her well. Deceased was at that time much the worse for drink, and was endeavouring to walk eastward down Whitechapel.
What her exact movements were after this it was impossible to say; but in less than an hour and a quarter her dead body was discovered at a spot rather under three-quarters of a mile distant. The time at which the body was found cannot have been far from
3:45 a.m., as it is fixed by so many independent data. The condition of the body appeared to prove conclusively that the deceased was killed on the exact spot in which she was found. There was not a trace of blood anywhere, except at the spot where her neck
was lying, this circumstance being sufficient to justify the assumption that the injuries to the throat were committed when the woman was on the ground, while the state of her clothing and the absence of any blood about her legs suggested that the abdominal
injuries were inflicted whilst she was still in the same position. Coming to a consideration of the perpetrator of the murder, the Coroner said: It seems astonishing at first thought that the culprit should have escaped detection, for there must surely have been
marks of blood about his person. If, however, blood was principally on his hands, the presence of so many slaughter-houses in the neighbourhood would make the frequenters of this spot familiar with blood-stained clothes and hands, and his appearance might in that way
have failed to attract attention while he passed from Buck's-row in the twilight into Whitechapel-road, and was lost sight of in the morning's market traffic. We cannot altogether leave unnoticed the fact that the death that you have been investigating is one of four
presenting many points of similarity, all of which have occurred within the space of about five months, and all within a very short distance of the place where we are sitting. All four victims were women of middle age, all were married, and had lived apart from their
husbands in consequence of intemperate habits, and were at the time of their death leading an irregular life, and eking out a miserable and precarious existence in common lodging-houses. In each case there were abdominal as well as other injuries. In each case the injuries
were inflicted after midnight, and in places of public resort, where it would appear impossible but that almost immediate detection should follow the crime, and in each case the inhuman and dastardly criminals are at large in society. Emma Elizabeth Smith, who received her
injuries in Osborn-street on the early morning of Easter Tuesday, April 3, survived in the London Hospital for upwards of 24 hours, and was able to state that she had been followed by some men, robbed and mutilated, and even to describe imperfectly one of them. Martha Tabram
was found at three a.m. on Tuesday, August 7, on the first-floor landing of George-yard buildings, Wentworth-street, with 39 punctured wounds on her body. In addition to these, and the case under your consideration, there is the case of Annie Chapman, still in the hands of
another jury. The instruments used in the two earlier cases are dissimilar. In the first it was a blunt instrument, such as a walking-stick; in the second, some of the wounds were thought to have been made by a dagger; but in the two recent cases the instruments suggested by the
medical witnesses are not so different. Dr. Llewellyn says the injuries on Nicholls could have been produced by a strong bladed instrument, moderately sharp. Dr. Phillips is of opinion that those on Chapman were by a very sharp knife, probably with a thin, narrow blade, at least six
to eight inches in length, probably longer. The similarity of the injuries in the two cases is considerable. There are bruises about the face in both cases; the head is nearly severed from the body in both cases; there are other dreadful injuries in both cases; and those injuries, again,
have in each case been performed with anatomical knowledge. Dr. Llewellyn seems to incline to the opinion that the abdominal injuries were first, and caused instantaneous death; but, if so, it seems difficult to understand the object of such desperate injuries to the throat, or how it comes
about that there was so little bleeding from the several arteries, that the clothing on the upper surface was not stained, and, indeed, very much less bleeding from the abdomen than from the neck. Surely it may well be that, as in the case of Chapman, the dreadful wounds to the throat were inflicted
first and the others afterwards. This is a matter of some importance when we come to consider what possible motive there can be for all this ferocity. Robbery is out of the question; and there is nothing to suggest jealousy; there could not have been any quarrel, or it would have been heard.
I suggest to you as a possibility that these two women may have been murdered by the same man with the same object, and that in the case of Nicholls the wretch was disturbed before he had accomplished his object, and having failed in the open street he tries again, within a week of his failure, in a more
secluded place. If this should be correct, the audacity and daring is equal to its maniacal fanaticism and abhorrent wickedness. But this surmise may or may not be correct, the suggestive motive may be the wrong one; but one thing is very clear - that a murder of a most atrocious character has been committed.
The jury, after a short consultation, returned a verdict of "Wilful murder" against some person or persons unknown. A rider was added expressing the full coincidence of the jury with some remarks made by the coroner as to the need of a mortuary for Whitechapel.

Source: Aberdare Times, 29 September 1888, Page 2

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

18 Re: Details of Nichols' Murder and Inquest on Fri 15 Mar 2013 - 6:36



The inquest as to the death of Mary Ann Nichols, whose shockingly mutilated body was found in a gateway, in Whitechapel, early on the morning of the 31st ult., was resumed on Monday. Not one of the witnesses was able to give any account of the circumstances immediately preceding the murder of the woman.
The inquiry was adjourned till Saturday. The Foreman of the Jury expressed the opinion that if a substantial reward had been offered, with regard to the first murder in the district, the last two murders would never have been perpetrated.
Prosecutor said that at three o'clock that morning he was standing at a coffee stall in Whitechapel, when the accused came up drunk and, in consequence, was refused to be served. He then said to prosecutor, "What are you looking at," and then pulled out a knife and tried to stab witness. Ludwig followed him round the stall
and made several attempts to stab him. A constable came up, and he was given into custody.
Constable 221 H said the prisoner was in a very excited condition, and witness had previously received information that prisoner was wanted in the City for attempting to cut a woman's throat with a razor. On the way to the station prisoner dropped a long-bladed open knife, and on him was found a long-bladed pair of scissors.
Inspector Pimley, H Division, asked the magistrate to remand the prisoner, as they had not had sufficient time to make the necessary inquiries concerning him.
A City constable, John Johnson, stated that early that morning he was on duty in the Minories, when he heard screams of murder proceeding from a dark court in which there were no lights. The court led to some railway arches, and was well known as a dangerous locality. On going into the court he found the prisoner with a prostitute.
The former appeared to be under the influence of drink. Witness asked what he was doing there, when he replied, "Nothing." The woman, who appeared to be in a very frightened and agitated condition said, "Oh, policeman, do take me out of this." The woman was so frightened that she could make no further statement then. He sent the man off
and walked with the woman to the end of his beat, when she said, "He frightened me very much when he pulled a big knife out." Witness said, "Why didn't you tell me that at the time," and she replied, "I was too much frightened." He then went and looked for the prisoner, but could not find him, and, therefore, warned several other constables of the occurrence.
Witness had been out all the morning trying to find the woman, but up to the present time without success. He should know her again. He believed prisoner worked in the neighbourhood.
The magistrate thereupon remanded prisoner.

Source: Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser, 21 September 1888, Page 2

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

19 Re: Details of Nichols' Murder and Inquest on Tue 7 May 2013 - 11:57



Another murder of a most revolting character was discovered early on the morning of the 31st ult. in Whitechapel. As a constable was walking through Buck's-row, Thomas-street, Whitechapel, at about a quarter to four, he found the body of a woman, between 35 and 40 years of age, lying at the side of the street, with her throat cut from ear to ear and her body mutilated in a shocking manner.
She was wearing some workhouse garments, and has been identified as having been in the lying-in ward at Lambeth.
At a quarter to four in the morning Police-constable Neil was on his beat in Buck's-row, Thomas-street, Whitechapel, when his attention was attracted to the body of a woman lying on the pavement close to the door of the stable-yard in connection with Essex Wharf. Buck's-row, like many minor thoroughfares in this and similar neighbourhoods, is not over-burdened with gas-lamps, and in the dim light
the constable at first thought that the woman had fallen down in a drunken stupor, and was sleeping off the effects of a night's debauch. With the aid of the light from his bullseye lantern Neil at once perceived that the woman had been the victim of some horrible outrage. Her livid face was stained with blood, and her throat cut from ear to ear. The constable at once alarmed the people living in the house
next to the stable-yard, occupied by a carter named Green and his family, and also knocked up Mr. Walter Perkins, the resident manager of the Essex Wharf, on the opposite side of the road, which is very narrow at this point. Neither Mr. Perkins nor any of the Green family, although the latter were sleeping within a few yards of where the body was discovered, had heard any sound of a struggle. Dr. Llewellyn, who lives
only a short distance away in Whitechapel-road, was at once sent for and promptly arrived on the scene. He found the body lying on its back across the gateway, and the briefest possible examination was sufficient to prove that life was extinct. Death had not long ensued, because the extremities were still warm. With the assistance of Police-sergeant Kirby and Police-constable Thane, the body was removed to the Whitechapel-road
mortuary, and it was not until the unfortunate woman's clothes were removed that the horrible nature of the attack which had been made upon her transpired. It was then discovered that in addition to the gash in her throat, which had nearly severed the head from the body, the lower part of the abdomen had been ripped up, and the bowels were protruding. The abdominal wall, the whole length of the body, had been cut open, and on either side
were two incised wounds, almost as severe as the centre one. This reached from the lower part of the abdomen to the breast bone. The instrument with which the wounds were inflicted must have been not only of the sharpness of a razor, but used with considerable ferocity. The murdered woman is about 45 years of age, and 5ft. 2in. in height. She had a dark complexion, brown eyes and brown hair, turning grey. At the time of her death she was wearing
a brown ulster fastened with seven large metal buttons with the figure of a horse and a man standing by its side stamped thereon. She had a brown lindsey frock and a grey woollen petticoat with flannel underclothing, close ribbed brown stays, black woollen stockings, side spring boots, black straw bonnet trimmed with black velvet. The mark "Lambeth Workhouse - R.R." was found stamped on the petticoat bands, and a hope is entertained that by this
deceased's identity may be discovered. A photograph of the body has been taken, and this will be circulated amongst the workhouse officials.


Mr. Wynne Baxter, coroner for East Middlesex, opened the inquest on the 1st inst. at the Working Lads' Institute, Whitechapel.
Edward Walker, an old man, residing at 16, Maidwood-street, Albany-road, Camberwell, said that he was formerly a smith. To the best of his belief the body at the mortuary was that of his daughter, whom he had not seen for three years. He recognised it by the general appearance, the loss of some front teeth, and a small mark on the forehead, caused when the deceased was a child. She was 42 years old. About 22 years ago she was married to a man named
William Nicholls, who was still alive. He was a printer's machinist. He and the deceased had been living apart for seven or eight years. The witness last heard of his daughter last Easter, when she wrote him the following letter, from a house in Wandsworth in which she had just before obtained a situation as domestic servant:
"I just write to say you will be glad to know that I am settled in my new place, and going on all right up to now. My people went out yesterday, and have not returned, so I am left in charge. It is a grand place inside, with trees and gardens back and front. All has been newly done up. They are teetotallers and religious, so I ought to get on. They are very nice people, and I have not too much to do. I hope you are all right and the boy has work. So good-bye for the present.
- From yours truly, "POLLY.
"Answer soon, please, and let me know how you are."
He replied to this letter, but had not heard from his daughter since. He last saw her alive two years ago, in June, 1886. She was apparently respectable then, but he did not speak to her. It was at a funeral. He was not friendly with her. She lived with him three or four years ago, and after a few words she left him. He did not know what she did afterwards. She was not particularly sober, and that was why they did not agree. He did not think that she was fast. He had no idea of such a thing.
She did not stay out particularly late at night. The worst he had seen of her was her keeping company with females of a certain class. After she wrote to him from Wandsworth he sent a kind letter back to her, but he did not see or hear anything of her until he was called to view the body. He had kept her letter because it was his habit to keep letters. It was not the case that he turned her out of doors. She had no cause to be "like this." He had always had a home for her. She had separated from her
husband because he "turned nasty" over another man. Her husband left her, and took another woman to live with. The deceased had had five children, of whom the eldest, a young man, was 21 years old, and the youngest 8. The eldest was living with the witness, and the other four children with their father. He believed that three or four years ago the deceased lived with a man who kept a smith's shop in York-street, Walworth. He did not know that she had lived with any other man; but on one occasion the parish
of Lambeth summoned her husband for her maintenance. His defence was that she was living with another man. She denied it, but the summons was dismissed. Until he heard of the murder he did not know that she had left the situation at Wandsworth. Just before taking it she was in Lambeth Workhouse. He knew of nothing likely to throw light on the inquiry. He was not aware that she had any enemies. She was always too good for that. Her only fault was being too good.
Police-constable John Neil deposed that he was going down Buck's-row, Whitechapel, from Thomas-street to Brady-street. Not a soul was about. He was round there about half an hour previously, and met nobody then. The first thing he saw was a figure lying on the footpath. It was dark, but there was a street lamp on the opposite side some distance away. The figure was lying alongside a gateway, of which the gate, nine or 10 feet high, was locked. It led to some stables belonging to a Mr. Brown. From the gateway eastward
the houses began, and westward there was a Board school. All the houses were occupied. The deceased's left hand was touching the gate. Directly he turned his lantern on the body he noticed blood was oozing from the woman's throat. She was lying on her back with her hands beside the body, the eyes wide open, the legs a little apart, and the hands open. Feeling her right arm he found it quite warm. Her bonnet was beside her on the ground. Without disturbing the body he called a constable who was passing along Brady-street.
He came, and the witness said to him, "Here's a woman has cut her throat. Run at once for Dr. Llewellyn." He did so, and the witness seeing another constable pass along Baker's-row, sent him for the ambulance. Dr. Llewellyn came in about ten minutes. In the meantime the witness rang the bell at Essex Wharf on the opposite side of the street. A man appeared at a window, and, in answer to a question, said he had not heard any unusual noise. Sergeant Kirby afterwards came and knocked at the door of New Cottage, adjoining the gateway.
Mrs. Green answered from an upper window, and said that she had not heard any unusual noise. When the doctor came he pronounced life extinct. The deceased was then placed on the ambulance and taken to the mortuary. There Inspector Spratling came to take a description of the body, which he found was disembowelled. They found no money on the woman; only a comb, a small piece of looking glass, and a white handkerchief, unmarked. When the witness found the body, there was a pool of blood beneath the neck. He had not heard any noise
that night. On the contrary, the place was unusually quiet, and nothing had aroused his suspicion. It was quite possible for anybody to have escaped through Brady-street or into Whitechapel-road, or through a passage in Queen's-buildings. He never saw the deceased before finding her dead. A quarter of an hour previously he was in Whitechapel-road, where he saw some people apparently going to market, and some women.
Replying to jurymen, the witness added that he examined the place where he found the deceased, and saw no track of blood. It did not strike him that somebody might have brought the body in a trap, with the intention of throwing it on to the adjoining railway line. There was a slaughterhouse near, in Winthorpe-street, and two men who had been working there all night, and whom he knew well, came into Buck's-row while the body was being put on the ambulance. They made no observation. With the exception of a man who had passed down Buck's-row
while the doctor was present, they were the first of the general public to arrive. They had just finished work, and were on their way home. He had seen them and another man at work in the slaughter-house when he passed it, about twenty minutes past three o'clock.
Dr. Llewellyn, 152, Whitechapel-road, deposed that he was called up by a policeman, with whom he went to Buck's-row. He there found the deceased lying on her back with her throat deeply cut; there was very little blood on the ground. She had apparently been dead about half an hour. He was quite certain that the injury to her throat was not self-inflicted. There was no mark of any struggle either on the body or near where it was found. About an hour afterwards he was sent for again by the police, and going to the mortuary to which the body had
been carried found most extensive injuries on the abdomen. At ten o'clock next morning, in the presence of his assistant, he began a post-mortem examination. On the right side of the face was a recent and strongly marked bruise, which was scarcely perceptible when he first saw the body. It might have been caused either by a blow from a fist or by pressure of the thumb. On the left side of the face was a circular bruise, which might have been produced in the same way. A small bruise was on the left side of the neck, and an abrasion on the right.
All must have been done at the same time. There were two cuts in the throat, one four inches long and the other eight, and both reaching to the vertebrae, which had also been penetrated. The wounds must have been inflicted with a strong-bladed knife, moderately sharp, and used with great violence. It appeared to have been held in the left hand of the person who had used it. No blood at all was found on the front of the woman's clothes. The body was fairly well nourished, and there was no smell of alcohol in the stomach. On the abdomen were some
severe cuts and stabs, which the witness described in detail. Nearly all the blood had drained out of the arteries and veins, and collected to a large extent in the loose tissues. The deceased's wounds were sufficient to cause instantaneous death.
Questioned by jurymen, the witness said the deceased was a strong woman. The murderer must have had some rough anatomical knowledge, for he seemed to have attacked all the vital parts. It was impossible to say whether the wounds were inflicted with a clasp-knife or a butcher's knife, but the instrument must have been a strong one. When he first saw the body life had not been out of it more than half-an-hour. The murder might have occupied four or five minutes. It could have been committed by one man so far as the wounds were concerned.

Inspector Spratling, of the J Division, was the first witness examined at the resumed inquest on the 3rd inst. He deposed that about half-past four in the morning he received information in the Hackney-road of the finding of the body. He at once proceeded to Buck's-row, and there saw Police-constable Thain, who pointed out to him the spot where he (Constable Thain) had found the deceased. The witness saw blood stains between the stones. He accompanied the constable to the mortuary and found the body of the deceased on the ambulance in the yard. While
there he took a description of the body, which was subsequently removed into the mortuary and placed on a slab on the floor. In taking a more accurate description of the clothing, he found the injuries to the abdomen. Finding these injuries, he did not proceed farther, but at once sent for Dr. Llewellyn. The doctor arrived shortly afterwards, and made an examination. The body was stripped by the workhouse inmates.
The Coroner complained of this, stating that some official ought to have been present in order that evidence could have been given as to the state of the clothing. Inspector Spratling said he had given no instructions for the body to be stripped.
The witness then proceeded to detail the articles of clothing found upon the deceased. The stays, he said, were of the ordinary size, and were not injured. (The coroner then sent a constable to fetch the stays).
Examination continued: Between five and six o'clock the same morning he directed Constable Thain to examine Buck's-row, and subsequently he (Inspector Spratling) examined it. There were no bloodstains whatever in the street. Afterwards he visited the Great Eastern Railway yard, the embankment, and other places in the vicinity, but found no weapon of any kind. There had been gatemen at the railway yard all night, but they had not heard any unusual noise. By a juror: The nearest constable was in Brady-street, and from time to time he would be within the sound
of the whistle of the constable in Buck's-row. The constable walking the Buck's-row beat would be there about every 20 minutes.
Henry Tomkins, of 12, Coventry-street, said he commenced work in the slaughter-house in Winthrop-street about nine o'clock on Thursday evening, and left off about 4:20 on Friday morning. He generally went home after work, but on Friday morning he and his fellows took a walk. A policeman having told them that a woman had been murdered they proceeded to Buck's-row. They went out of the slaughter-house at 20 minutes past twelve, and returned to work about one o'clock. No one left the yard between one and four o'clock. He believed that the murder was perpetrated
at about four o'clock in the morning. They were very quiet in the slaughter-house from about two o'clock. The gates of the yard were open all night, and anyone could obtain admittance to the slaughter-house; but he saw no one pass except the policeman about 4:15 a.m. He went to Buck's-row and remained there until the body of the deceased was removed to the mortuary.
Inspector Helson, of the J Division, said the deceased had on a long ulster, with large buttons, five of which were fastened. The bodice of the dress was buttoned, with the exception of two or three buttons at the neck. The stays were fastened up, and were fairly tight. The only part of the garments saturated with blood was the dress at the back of the neck; the hair at the back of the head was clotted with blood. There was no evidence of a recent washing of the parts of the body where the wounds had been inflicted in order to remove the blood. There were no cuts
in the clothing; but he believed the murder was committed while the deceased was wearing her clothes. With the exception of one spot in Brady-street, there were no blood stains in the vicinity. Police-constable Mizen gave corroborative evidence.
H. Charles Cross, a carman in the employ of Messrs. Pickford & Co., said he left home about 3:30 on the morning of the murder, and he reached Pickford's at about four o'clock. He went through Brady-street into Buck's-row, and as he was walking on the right hand side of Buck's-row he saw something lying on the other side of the road. It seemed to him like a dark figure. He walked out to the middle of the road, and saw that it was the figure of a woman. At the same time he heard a man coming up the street, in the same direction, and on the same side of the road as himself.
The witness waited until the person he had heard arrived, and then said, "Come a little nearer; there is a woman." He stood at the side of the body and took hold of the deceased's hand. The witness then said: "Why, I believe the woman's dead." The other man felt her heart, and said he believed she was dead. The witness's companion suggested that they should raise her, but the witness declined to do anything until a policeman arrived. The witness then described the position of the body. They found a constable and informed him of their discovery.
After an interval for luncheon,
William Nicholls, printer and machinist, of Coburg-road, Old Kent-road, was examined. The deceased was his wife. He had been separated from her for about eight years. He last heard of her about three years ago, but did not know what she had been doing. By a Juror: Several years ago he had been summoned for not supporting his wife, and pleaded that she had been living with another man. He had had her watched. It was not true that separation was due to his living with her nurse. They had been separated several times before the final separation, and he had forgiven her many times.
Ellen Holland, of Thrawl-street, lodging-house keeper, said the deceased had lodged with her for about six weeks. On the Friday morning she had been kept out late, and was coming home when she met the deceased, about half-past two o'clock, at the corner of Osborne-street and Whitechapel-road. The deceased was coming down Osborne-street by herself, and was the worse for drink. The witness tried to persuade the deceased to go home with her, but she refused. The witness did not know what the deceased did for a living. She was a woman who talked very little about her affairs. The deceased
always seemed very melancholy, as though some trouble was weighing upon her mind.
Mary Ann Monk, an inmate of Lambeth Workhouse, gave further evidence of identification, and the inquiry was adjourned for a fortnight.

Source: Cardigan Observer, and General Advertiser For the Counties of Cardigan, Carmarthen and Pembroke, 8 September, 1888, Page 2

There is little cause for surprise that great and widespread uneasiness should exist at the East-end of London on account of three mysterious and atrocious murders of women belonging to the same class having occurred in the district of Whitechapel within a short period of each other. The frightful atrocity of the murders seems to point to the existence of a gang of thugs, whom the utmost vigilance of the detective police will be required to unearth. The surgeon who examined the body of the latest victim, and who gave evidence at the coroner's inquest, was of opinion that the wounds
were inflicted by a left-handed man, and that the weapon used was a butcher's knife. In the case of the previous victim the numerous wounds found on the body bore traces of having been inflicted by a bayonet. The abounding foreign element in the East-end naturally gives rise to all sorts of wild suspicions.

Source: Cardigan Observer, and General Advertiser For the Counties of Cardigan, Carmarthen and Pembroke, 8 September, 1888, Page 2

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum