Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen

Links

Gallery

Police Laugh At Dr. Winslow's Efforts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Police Laugh At Dr. Winslow's Efforts

Post by Karen on Tue 4 May 2010 - 15:20

Jack the Ripper.

Through Dr. Forbes Winslow, London would have found a trail of Jack the Ripper, the mysterious assassin, who made his presence felt in Western Europe 20-odd years ago. This track is pointing to Australia and South Africa. The doctor received from a lady in Melbourne a letter, which in some parts, with the omitting of names, the Pall Mall has published. The letter begins by saying that the culprit behind the Jack the Ripper murders departed from England in the latter half of 1889 on a working passenger ship "Murrumbidgee" and arrived in Melbourne. Then tells the story of this man as follows: He was born in Melbourne, Victoria and was educated in a Scotch College. The late Dr. _____ was a friend of his family had taught him in surgery and took him to England. When he returned to Melbourne he married Miss ______ and a good year later the marriage died. The letter goes on that his wife is deceased from natural causes. Shortly after her death did the writer know him. He told her that he was had passed a hard time in London, and that he always bought newspapers which gave detailed accounts of the crimes. She asked why he bought the newspapers and then the letter continued: He said, "I wanted to know how it was in London." Then he began to read me a report of a case against a man named James Canham Read. That man is married and killed several women, finally one, for which he was hanged. When he had read to me, I said: "What a terrible guy." Yes," he said. Suddenly I asked: "What do you know about Jack the Ripper?" - He replied: "Strange that such crimes have ceased suddenly, since I left London." This response struck the writer especially since she knew that he had lived precisely in that part of London, where the crimes occurred. She tried, however, this idea of themselves to sell, but they still came back several times and finally he told her that he had committed the murders. She asked why and at first he said that he had acted in revenge, but softened later and admitted that he had committed the murders for research development. The letter continues again below: I wrote to Scotland Yard and also indicated what I had learned. Sir Robert Anderson wrote me for information, but when I had given it, I heard nothing from him. I thought the police had abandoned this matter and that they no longer wanted to start again. Yet I had the police in Melbourne in 1894, pick up the man. They took him into interrogation and he said that he was in Melbourne in 1890. This proved true, and without him asking where he was in 1889, the police let him go. He has laughed and said, "What fools. I'm the straight man for whom they search the whole world, they had me and let me go." Later, I gave a letter from him to a police inspector, but he laughed at it. I asked him to compare the writing of this letter with that of the Jack Ripper letters, but he did not. Now I have already burned the letter. The letter refers to the name of the man whose first name is actually Jack, and Dr. Winslow says he is now in South Africa.

Source: Utrecht Nieuwsblad, (25-07-1910), Page 1

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top