Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen

Links

Gallery

Winslow Denies Ripper Was Caught

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Winslow Denies Ripper Was Caught

Post by Karen on Fri 16 Apr 2010 - 2:58

"JACK THE RIPPER."

Dr. Forbes Winslow issued the following with reference to the "Jack the Ripper" murders, interest in which was revived by the published statements of Sir Robert Anderson and Mr. George Kebbell: -

"I beg to challenge the observations which have appeared during the last few days relative to the announcement that "Jack the Ripper" was captured. If there is anyone who should know as to this I claim to be that person. The last murder committed was Alice Mackenzie, on July 17, 1889. On August 30 of that year I obtained a clue which I carefully worked up. I traced the man from lodging to lodging; in fact, where he had stayed the night of the individual murders. I had feathers from the hats of the woman which he left in the individual lodgings which were handed to me by the proprietors of the rooms. I had a pair of Canadian snow-shoes he left behind him at some lodgings, which were stained with blood. I knew his haunts, his ways of living, and his habits. He was a religious homicidal mono-maniac. Every Sunday morning he was to be seen on the steps of St. Paul's Cathedral. I took the police into my confidence. I offered to catch the man provided they would render me the assistance I asked. The red-tapism surrounding Scotland Yard prevented their doing this. I was told by them that my clue was a very good one, but as a public body they could not help a private individual in his investigations. I warned them of what I should do. Receiving no help as requested, I published my clue. From that time to the present day no more "Jack the Ripper" murders have been committed. Though I did not actually capture the man, my intervention and action frightened him away. I have in my possession the actual letter sent me by "Jack the Ripper," the same writing as Sir Robert Anderson alludes to being found under the arches, and which the police rubbed off. One of the force identified the writing on my letter as being the same to which I am alluding. It was a keen disappointment to me that the police did not act in co-operation with me. I cannot, however, allow the statement to be made that he was ever captured. What became of him after I had frightened him away remains a mystery which never will never be fathomed.

Source: Hawera & Normanby Star, Volume LVII, 14 June 1910, Page 2

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top