Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen

Links

Gallery

The De Jong Case

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The De Jong Case

Post by Karen on Sun 28 Mar 2010 - 11:41

De Jong Case.

Well informed of the side Hbld learns that the father of Miss Juett in the course of next week in Amsterdam will come at the invitation of Justice, in order to make statements about the scam of PD. st. 100, which de Jong is perpetrating against the Sun. This case will soon be in court. Extradition to the British Government is not possible, beacause de Jong is a Dutch national. But however he can, even in England be convicted for fraud committed against the Netherlands courts. Meanwhile, the brother of Miss Juett was interrogated by a reporter. The reporter's recounts include Mr. Juett is a young man of 20 years, the only brother of the missing woman. He was passionately attached to his sister and is apparently suffering by what happened. He makes a very pleasant impression and printed in cultured English. Yes, it is a very sad story, which brings me to Holland. I have never been here and the first experience with one of your countrymen it was not really pleasant. Well, I understand that not all Dutchmen are so, it's one of the species similar to de Jong and also helps us to identify villains. My poor sister! She had dreamed of such a happy life with De Jong! Your sister knew him long? The first meeting occurred in November 1892. My sister's vocation is to read to sick people in the hospital at Middlesbrough. De Jong had arrived there on an English ship, which he was a stewart. When the customs men arrived on board, they found him with a large quantity of cigars, which they thought he wanted to smuggle home. He said that those were cigars for personal use and were a good means to alleviate asthma, which he suffered so badly. He has willingly paid the duties and seemed to have no lack of money and he also knew that we were not rich. My father is a contractor for the construction of tunnels of the great railway companies, it pays well, but are we not rich. De Jong remained long with you? No, he soon went back in as a stewart for British India. After her engagement, my sister resigned as a nurse and came home. During his absence she received repeated letters from him from Calcutta. When did he come back? In April of this year. He the said that he earned the money and the small capital he had inherited, he mentioned 7000 in gold, a hotel, the hotel Sluis Arnhem in Holland, that he had bought and that he thought that after his marriage to both settle there. But how did your father allow his daughter to marry without showing regard about his prospective son-in-law's information? My father was always busy, I too, am in the same case, we have our work often far from Maidenhead and also we had not the least reason to distrust de Jong. He let us see letters with the stamps of the Holland Consulate in London, where his identity was established, and which has reported was put down its capital. He showed a gentleman in everything. He often borrowed money from your father? Certainly not, it is claimed, but is false. Did your sister in her many letters talk about her husband? Not a word! None of those letters reported anything about the affairs of her husband, not a word she spoke of him. We found it silly, because my sister was always so open with us, but from these letters there was indeed no reason for us to entertain any suspicion. We are now convinced that de Jong read every letter that she wrote, and everything showed that we did not like him, so the letters came from different places, which was not a surprise to us, since he had told his young wife that they will visit several places before setting in his hotel. We were addressing our letters to the Hotel Sluis at Arnhem. After the 15th of July we heard nothing of my sister, until August 16 when de Jong appeared to meet with us. He told us in bitter tears that he and his wife had stayed in Wiesbaden in the Bath Hotel, which we later found did not exist. During their stay there de Jong and my sister made many trips by boat, often accompanied by an American who also stayed in that hotel. The American had courted my sister. She had liked to speak with this man, because he spoke English much better than de Jong and then one fine morning, when De Jong woke up, she had disappeared, taking a sum of f 1000, partly owned by him. A maid in the hotel had told him that the lady with the American was gone. De Jong was, as I say, a sad soul, and said he returned to the mainland to find the American and my sister still with him. He also brought all the letters and communications that we had sent to the hotel Sluis, and the portrait of his deceased mother who we have now learned was his stepmother. My sister was always with him and the testimonials, that they had been in the hospital at Middlesbrough. He then killed a few hours with us. Later we found that the day he was with us, he had come from London, where he was in the same hotel where he stayed after his marriage with my sister and was now staying with another woman who certainly was Miss Schmitz. You believed this story? No, we were now suspicious. For what reason do you think he married your sister? Why I do not, it certainly was not for the money. I repeat, that he knew that we were not rich. We believe that he is someone who has a mania to make women unhappy or put them out of the way to overcome something. A kind of Jack the Ripper? Something of that kind. Yesterday the investigation by the state police in the woods he put on Craailoo. The police were this time a group of 30 men, all employed or unpaid policemen, and divided themselves into different groups. One group of three searched the water in the forests of Bredius, Kortmerrust and Flevorama, another group looked at the Naarderstraat Cemetery and St. John's Cemetery (as far as possible, since one obviously can not go digging where it is undesirable) and pulled most of the forest on the south side of the Laarderweg and the adjacent strips of land. Some results are not obtained.

Source: Leeuwarder Courant, van 4 October, 1893

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top