» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen

Links

Gallery

Facsimiles Of Ripper Letters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Facsimiles Of Ripper Letters

Post by Karen on Tue 2 Mar 2010 - 22:18

The following facsimiles of Jack the Ripper letters appeared in the Te Aroha News of December 1, 1888:

[img][/img]

Source: Te Aroha News, Volume VI, Issue 321, 1 December 1888, Page 3

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Facsimiles Of Ripper Letters

Post by Karen on Mon 13 Jun 2011 - 15:05

WHITECHAPEL MURDERS.
"JACK THE RIPPER."
EXTRAORDINARY LETTERS.

One of the most extraordinary things in connection with the mysterious outrages in London lately was the receipt of several letters signed "Jack the Ripper," purporting to have been written by the murderer. The "Central News" says: - On Thursday week the following letter, bearing the E.C. postmark, and directed in red ink, was delivered to this agency: -

25th September, 1888.

Dear Boss, - I keep on hearing the police have caught me, but they won't fix me just yet. I have laughed when they look so clever and talk about being on the right track. That joke about Leather Apron gave me real fits. I am down on _______, and I shan't quit ripping them till I do get buckled. Grand work the last job was. I gave the lady no time to squeal. How can they catch me now? I love my work, and want to start again. You will soon hear of me with my funny little games. I saved some of the proper red stuff in a ginger beer bottle over the last job to write with, but it went thick, and I can't use it. Red ink is fit enough, I hope. Ha! ha! The next job I do I shall clip the lady's ear and send to the police-officers, just for jolly. Wouldn't you? Keep this letter back till I do a bit more work, then give it out straight. My knife's so nice and sharp; I want to get a chance. Good luck. Yours truly, JACK T. RIPPER.

Don't mind me giving the trade name. Wasn't good enough to post this before I got all the red ink off my hands. Curse it; no luck yet! They say I am a doctor now. Ha! ha!

The whole of this extraordinary epistle is written in red ink, in a free, bold, clerkly hand. It was, of course, treated as the work of a practical joker, but it is singular to note that the latest murders have been committed within a few days of the receipt of the letter, and that apparently in the case of his last victim the murderer made an attempt to cut off the ears, and that he actually did mutilate the face in a manner which he has never before attempted. The letter is now in the hands of the Scotland Yard authorities.
The "Central News" says: - A postcard, bearing the stamp "London E., Oct. 1," was addressed to the "Central News" office; the address and subject matter being written in red, an undoubtedly by the same person from whom the sensational letter already published was received on Thursday week. Like the previous missive, this also has reference to the horrible tragedies in East London, forming, indeed, a sequel to the same letter. It runs as follows: -

I was not codding, dear old boss, when I gave you the tip. You'll hear about Saucy Jack's work tomorrow. Double event this time. Number one squealed a bit; couldn't finish straight off. Had not time to get ears for police. Thanks for keeping last letter back till I got to work again. JACK THE RIPPER.

The card is smeared on both sides with blood, which has evidently been impressed thereon by the thumb or finger of the writer, the corrugated surface of the skin being plainly shown upon the back of the card. Some words are nearly obliterated by a bloody smear. It is not necessarily assumed that this has been the work of the murderer, the idea that naturally occurs being that the whole thing is a practical joke. At the same time the writing of the previous letter immediately before the commission of the murders on Sunday was so singular a coincidence that it does not seem unreasonable to suppose that the cool calculating villain who is responsible for the crimes has chosen to make the post a medium through which to convey to the press his grimly diabolical humour.

ANOTHER LETTER FROM THE WHITECHAPEL MURDERER.

The Central Press has received the following letter, bearing the E.C. post-mark, written in red ink, in a round hand, apparently by a person indifferently educated. At the foot is a rude drawing of a sharp-pointed knife, measuring three inches and the handle one: -

Dear Boss, - Since last splendid success, two more, and never a squeal. O, I am master of the art. I am going to be heavy on the gilded ______ now. We are. Some dutchess will cut up nicely. You wonder how. O, we are masters; no education like a butcher's. No animal like a nice woman. The fat are best. On to Brighton for a holiday, but we shan't idle. Splendid high-class women there. My mouth waters. Good luck there. If not, you will hear from me in the West End. My pal will keep on at the East a while yet. When I get a nobility _____ I will send it on to C. Warren, or perhaps to you for a keepsake. It is jolly.

GEORGE OF THE HIGH RIP GANG.

Red ink still, but a drop of real in it.

Below are facsimiles of some of the communications from "Jack the Ripper."

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Source: Auckland Star, Volume XIX, Issue 279, 26 November 1888, Page 5

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down