» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen

Links

Gallery

Pearson's Academic Records

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pearson's Academic Records

Post by Karen on Wed 8 Apr 2015 - 19:45

Finding a few more papers that I had ordered on Dr. Pearson, in particular, his academic success:

3rd November, 1876.

In presence of Messrs. Keiller, Douglas and Balfour (Physicians); Littlejohn, Wilson, and Bell (Surgeons);    Appeared Messrs.

John Richard Oliver         St. Woolwich
Joseph William Christie    St. Stirling
James Graham Jefferson  St. Lisburn
Alfred William Pearson     St. Brierley Hill
Edward Bass Reckitt       St. Wainfleet

who being examined on their skill in Anatomy, Surgery, and Pharmacy, was found duly qualified to practise these arts, and received Diplomas, having paid the usual fees to the Treasurer.

Signed Henry Littlejohn
3rd November, 1876

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Pearson's Academic Records

Post by Karen on Wed 8 Apr 2015 - 20:13

No.DateName of CandidatePlace of BirthAnatomyPhysiologyChemistryBotanySignature of Examiner
May 3
Samuel Arthur Stoddard KennedyStewarton, Ayrshire656550Henry D. Littlejohn
""""707055"
802"John Hay HoneymanThurso, Caithness605550Henry D. Littlejohn
""""555550"
803"Charles Erskine WyerPeeblesExemptExempt50Henry D. Littlejohn
""""ExemptExempt50"
804"Alexander GunnLobster, Caithness505055Henry D. Littlejohn
""""505060"
805"Joseph Henry Richard Wallace LucasLiverpoolExemptExempt60Henry D. Littlejohn
""""ExemptExempt50"
"
Alfred William Pearson
Kingswinford, Staffordshire
Exempt
Exempt

Henry D. Littlejohn
"
"
"
"
Exempt
Exempt

"
807"Hugh WilliamsAnglesea55
Henry D. Littlejohn
It is quite interesting to see that upon being re-examined, Dr. Pearson improved his grade in Chemistry from a 55 to an 80, coming out first in his class and being exempted from the Anatomy and Physiology portions of the examination. This man was not only intelligent, but competitive as well.

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Pearson's Academic Records

Post by Karen on Mon 13 Apr 2015 - 19:47

I received the following information from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh:

Thursday 11th May 2006

Dear Karen

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Alfred William Pearson. I have now carried out a comprehensive search of our historical records.

Although never a Fellow of The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, I can confirm that our records show that this gentleman received the Licentiateship of this College, via the "Double Qualification" scheme, in 1876.

The "DQ" evolved from the College Diploma, a separate qualification from Fellowship. It was introduced in the 1770's, and was standardised and renamed "Licentiateship" in 1815. It was initially a means for examining country surgeons, but very often it was used as a cheaper means of acquiring a medical qualification to a university degree. The "Double Qualification" followed the Medical Act of 1858 and provided Licentiateship of both this College and The Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh.

I have enclosed:

* Pearson's entry into our Register of Candidates who have Passed the First Professional Examination, which includes his marks in the core subjects of Anatomy, Physiology and Chemistry. Incidentally, you will see his examiner was Henry Duncan Littlejohn, a hugely significant name in Edinburgh history, and the city's first Medical Officer of Health.

*Pearson's entry into our handwritten College Records and Licentiates' List for 3rd November 1876, the day he officially received his diploma.

* Pearson's entry into the provincial Medical Directories for 1881 and 1917, the first and last directory that we have in which he appears.

He is obviously also listed in UK Medical Registers for each year of his career, in which (following the aforementioned 1858 Medical Act) each doctor had to be registered in order to practise in this country.

Alfred William Pearson's last appearance in the Medical Register was in the 1920 edition (copy enclosed), but I have included his entries in the voluntary Medical Directories as they generally contain more information about the entrant.

I have also included a list of further resources for historical researchers, some of which may be of use to you. As we strongly suspected, our private records have no images of Pearson. However, if you are not already aware of it I should draw your attention to the following website, which outlines another researcher's work on this family, and includes a small picture of Alfred William Pearson.

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/stevesgenealogy/pearson/dr_alfred_william_pearson.htm

There are also contact details should you wish to get in touch with the person behind this website. I can't see any problem with your sharing the information you have obtained from us, but we would ask that they contact the College Library before reproducing any items we have supplied, as appropriate clearance and acknowledgement is required in such cases.

In the meantime, thank you for your interest in The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and may I take this opportunity to wish you the very best of luck with your future research.

Kind regards
Name withheld

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top