» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen

Links

Gallery

Robert Stephenson in Newspapers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Robert Stephenson in Newspapers

Post by Karen on Wed 4 Dec 2013 - 14:08

I am not sure that the following Robert Stephenson's are THE Robert D'Onston Stephenson, but I thought that I would include them here:

Re: Messrs. Robert Stephenson and Co., of Darlington (County Durham)

NEW ENGINES FOR THE RHYMNEY.

The directors of the Rhymney Railway Company have just placed an order for ten locomotive engines with Messrs. Robert Stephenson and Co., of Darlington. The work will be put in hand at once, and it is understood that it will take about three months to complete the contract.

Source: Weekly Mail, 11 December 1909, Page 3

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Robert Stephenson in Newspapers

Post by Karen on Wed 4 Dec 2013 - 14:09

The following could explain why Robert Stephenson disappeared many years after the Ripper case. Could he have had ties to Scotland? After all, Roslyn Chapel/Castle is in Scotland.

FATALITY AT THE DOCKS. - The coroner's inquiry into the circumstances attending the death of Robert Stephenson, of Glasgow, second engineer of the s.s. Comrade, whose body was on Thursday found in the East Dock, having been missing since March 29th, was held on Friday.
The widow and two daughters had come from Glasgow to identify the body. P.C. Williams said that at 3 a.m. on March 29th he saw a man lying on the pavement in Fabian-street. He flashed his light on him and he said, "All right, officer, I've only had a little beer." The man, who did not seem intoxicated,
immediately got up, and witness accompanied him to the East Dock entrance. That was the one whose body the jury had viewed. Dr. Morgan deposed that there were no marks of violence on the body, and a verdict of "found drowned" was returned, the jury adding the opinion that deceased was not under
the influence of drink at the time.

Source: Cambrian, 4 May 1900, Page 8

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen on Wed 4 Dec 2013 - 14:11

The following details an assault case involving a man named Robert Stephenson. Could he have been a member of a dramatic company?

Cross-Summons for Assault. - "Our Boys" in Trouble. - Charles Johnson and Robert Stephenson, members of the dramatic company which recently visited this town, summoned W.A. Thomas for assaulting them, and Thomas preferred a cross charge against Stephenson for an assault. - Evidence was gone into
at some length to prove that Johnson and Stephenson had created an obstruction by placing a large furniture van right opposite Thomas's shop. On Thomas remonstrating, blows followed, and there was a general fracas - blood flowing freely. Mr. Hiram Davies, formerly a member of the Local Board, was called as a witness,
as well as the police. After a long hearing, the magistrates dismissed all the cases.

Source: Llangollen Advertiser, Denbighshire, Merionethshire, and North Wales Journal, 28 August 1885, Page 2

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally on Thu 5 Dec 2013 - 3:54

I think he ended up somewhere near Portsmouth, Karen. He's buried near there too.

Wally

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 5 Dec 2013 - 23:37

How did Roslyn D'Onston end up in buried in Portsmouth? Is that the Portsmouth in Hampshire?
Mike Covell wrote:There was, however, an article published on 28 March 1849 in The Times that named a Thomas Piles, a seaman of the Sidon steam frigate, as one of two sailors convicted at Portsmouth Borough Police Court of smuggling tobacco.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally on Fri 6 Dec 2013 - 5:10

Hi Buono,
 I have absolutely no idea. He seemed to travel about quite a bit. Bit of a nomad. It begs the question 'was he running away from something?'
Why did he move to London in the late 1860's (from Hull) in the first place? He's an interesting suspect for reasons other than the obvious ripper suspicion and seems to want to get away from something?

Wally

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen on Fri 6 Dec 2013 - 15:06

Karen wrote:I am not sure that the following Robert Stephenson's are THE Robert D'Onston Stephenson, but I thought that I would include them here:

Re: Messrs. Robert Stephenson and Co., of Darlington (County Durham)

NEW ENGINES FOR THE RHYMNEY.

The directors of the Rhymney Railway Company have just placed an order for ten locomotive engines with Messrs. Robert Stephenson and Co., of Darlington. The work will be put in hand at once, and it is understood that it will take about three months to complete the contract.

Source: Weekly Mail, 11 December 1909, Page 3
What is particularly interesting about the railway company entitled, "Messrs. Robert Stephenson and Co." in County Durham is that while looking in the 1881 Census, I found a Robert D. Stephenson who was born in Durham. Here he is:

1881 census transcription details for:  35, Front Street, Benfieldside
National Archive Reference:
RG number:     RG11
Piece:     4944
Folio:     109
Page:     38    
Reg. District:     Lanchester
Sub District:     Lanchester
Parish:     Benfieldside
Enum. District:    
Ecclesiastical District:    
City/Municipal Borough:    
Address:     35, Front Street, Benfieldside
County:     Durham
Name     Relation     Condition     Sex     Age     Birth Year     Occupation , Disability     Where Born
STEPHENSON, Hannah     Head     Widow      F     64     1817    
    Shotley Field, Northumberland
STEPHENSON, Robert D     Son     Single      M     34     1847     Quarryman
    Leadgate, Durham

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down