» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen

Links

Gallery

Charles Latham (New Suspect)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Charles Latham (New Suspect)

Post by Karen on Wed 6 Nov 2013 - 20:08

Over on the Casebook: Jack the Ripper forums they have accused another man of being Jack the Ripper. This poor fellow's name is Charles Latham and he was charged at the Old Bailey for having killed a woman. This does not mean he is Jack the Ripper. The person who proposes this suspect claims that Charles Latham was a meat cutter or butcher and was 30 years of age.

Well the only butcher named Charles Latham was this man. Unfortunately, he was born in Cheshire and is living in Cheshire during the 1881 Census.

1881 census transcription details for:  Edge Terrace, Ashton Upon Mersey
National Archive Reference:
RG number:     RG11
Piece:     3504
Folio:     97
Page:     3    
Reg. District:     Altrincham
Sub District:     Altrincham
Parish:     Ashton upon Mersey
Enum. District:    
Ecclesiastical District:    
City/Municipal Borough:    
Address:     Edge Terrace, Ashton Upon Mersey
County:     Cheshire
Name     Relation     Condition     Sex     Age     Birth Year     Occupation , Disability     Where Born
LATHAM, Henry     Head     Married      M     47     1834     Carpinter
    Ruabon, Denbighshire, Wales
LATHAM, Emma     Wife     Married      F     44     1837    
    Manchester, Lancashire
LATHAM, Charles     Son     Single      M     18     1863     Assist Butcher
    Altrincham, Cheshire

LATHAM, Emma     Daughter     Single      F     16     1865    
    Timperley, Cheshire
LATHAM, Albert E     Son     Single      M     13     1868    
    Timperley, Cheshire
LATHAM, Louise     Daughter     Single      F     11     1870    
    Timperley, Cheshire
LATHAM, Alfred B     Son     Single      M     9     1872    
    Brooklands, Cheshire

Here is a link to the trial held on July 2, 1888 at the Old Bailey. Notice that the sentence states:
GUILTY of murder, but, being insane at the time he committed the act— Ordered to be detained during Her Majesty's pleasure. This means being imprisoned forever, so he was not released to commit the murders of Nichols, Eddowes, Stride, Chapman, Kelly, Tabram.

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=def1-635-18880702&div=t18880702-635#highlight

Last edited by Karen on Thu 12 Dec 2013 - 0:06; edited 1 time in total

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Charles Latham (New Suspect)

Post by Karen on Wed 6 Nov 2013 - 22:52

Here are a few newspaper articles about the Somers Town murder, in which Charles Latham killed his live-in wife by cutting her throat with a knife. This report states his age as being 38 years and describes him as being an assistant to costermongers.

MURDER IN SOMERS TOWN.

A murder was committed on Saturday night by Charles Latham, aged 38, nicknamed "Nob," who obtained a precarious living by assisting the costermongers in the Market-place, Somers Town.
He has been confined in the insane ward of the St. Pancras Workhouse several times, suffering from delirium tremens. A fortnight since he was again under the care of the parochial authorities, and after a week's detention
was once more fetched out by his brother. He had seemed strange in his manner all the week, and on Saturday evening went home to tea at 53, Drummond-crescent, where he occupied the back kitchen with a woman named Mary
Newman, with whom he has lived sixteen years. After staying there some time he ran out through Churchway into Chalton-street. Here there is a butcher's shop kept by a man named Corbett. From this stall Latham snatched a knife, and ran
back home. The landlord, Joseph Butcher, hearing a scuffle and peculiar noise, went to the room, and on opening the door saw Latham kneeling on the woman, using the knife to cut her throat. Butcher tried to pull him off, but Latham hurled him
across the room, and made his escape out of the house. The landlord, seeing blood issuing from the woman's throat, raised an alarm. A constable who was patrolling close by, ran to the house, and seeing the state of affairs, sent for a cab and conveyed
the woman to the University College Hospital, where she was admitted and attended by Dr. Holden, the house surgeon. She survived, however, only a few minutes. In the meantime two other constables, hearing what had occurred, went to the Coffee-house Tavern
in Chalton-street, where they found Latham drinking with some companions. They took him into custody and conveyed him to the Somers Town Police-station, Platt-street, where he was charged with cutting and wounding, and afterwards with the capital offence. The deceased
woman was the mother of two children - a girl aged 13, and a boy of 5-1/2 years. Inspector Charles Austin, in charge of the Somers Town Station-house, Platt-street, had the children removed to the workhouse, and after examining the premises had the door of the room securely
fastened. After being charged on Saturday night, the Prisoner did not seem to feel his position, and in answer to Dr. Thompson, the divisional surgeon, said he was very sorry he had hurt his old woman, but she was always nagging at him and going with other men.
He was not at all upset, and spoke as if he had merely given her a black eye. When asked if he had had anything to drink during the day, he answered "only eight half-pints." An inquest will be held in due course.

Source: Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser, 25 May 1888, Page 2

Last edited by Karen on Wed 6 Nov 2013 - 22:55; edited 1 time in total

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen on Wed 6 Nov 2013 - 22:53

This article states his age as being 30 years and describes him as a labourer.

THE SOMERS TOWN MURDER.

At the Clerkenwell Police-court, on Whit Monday, Charles Latham, 30, labourer, was charged before Mr. Bros with the wilful murder of Mary Newman by cutting her throat with a knife at 53, Drummond-crescent, Somers-town, on Saturday. Elizabeth Leigh, wife of W. Leigh, cab driver, said:
I live at 53, Drummond-crescent, St. Pancras, where the prisoner also lived with Mary Newman, who was usually called Mrs. Newman. She took a back room, unfurnished, from me about five months ago, and had occupied it for about three months when the prisoner came to live with her. On Saturday
evening, at about seven, I was at home in the back parlour. While passing through the passage to go to another room, I saw Mary Newman's little girl, about 13 years of age, crying in the passage. I spoke to her, and then ran downstairs to Mary Newman's room. I opened the door and rushed in, and saw the
prisoner kneeling on the woman, who was on the bed. She called out, "Mrs. Leigh, Mrs. Leigh, he is killing me." I called out, "Oh, you murdering villain, you are killing her," caught hold of him by his collar, and tried to pull him off. He looked very wildly at me, but did not speak. He had something small in his hand,
with which he was striking Mrs. Newman on the neck, but I could not see what it was. Her neck was bleeding. I could not pull him from her, so I rushed upstairs and called Mr. Butcher, the landlord, and another man who was there. They ran downstairs, and I went out of the house and across the road, to where the prisoner's
sister lives. I then ran back to the house and saw Mr. Butcher struggling with the prisoner in the kitchen. I then went out again and fetched a policeman. Mr. Butcher and the prisoner and Mrs. Newman all came upstairs together, and Mrs. Newman went into my parlour. Mr. Butcher let the prisoner go, and he left the house. I followed
him into Charlton-street. The policeman whom I had brought had gone into the parlour to see the woman. I don't think he understood what I meant. Afterwards he came out, and I pointed the prisoner out to him, standing at the bar of a public-house in Charlton-street called the Coffee House. There two policemen took him into custody.
I went back to my house and found Mrs. Newman in my parlour, sitting in a chair with a cloth round her neck. She was just alive, and a doctor was attending her. She was removed to the University College Hospital. When asked if he had any questions to put to the witness, the prisoner said: That home belongs to me; my sister took it when
I came out of prison. She knows she did. The witness said that was not so; Mrs. Newman took the room. Mr. J.M. Llewellyn, of 82, Charlton-street, surgeon, said: I was called to 53, Drummond-crescent at about a quarter to eight on Saturday evening. In the front parlour I found a woman being supported on a chair. She was in a dying condition,
smothered with blood. I saw she had several wounds, some incised and some punctured, on the right side of the throat. I bandaged the wounds, sent for a cab, and forwarded her at once to the University College Hospital. Police-constable Batten, 25, YR, said: I was called to the Coffee House public-house, and there saw the prisoner coming out
in the custody of another constable. I then went to 53, Drummond-crescent, where I saw the last witness attending to the deceased, who was sitting in a chair. I called a cab, and took her into the hospital, where she was seen by Dr. Holder. It was about twenty minutes to eight when I arrived there, and she expired about ten minutes after her admission.
The prisoner, who maintained a stolid demeanour throughout, was remanded. It was mentioned that at the next hearing evidence as to the prisoner's mental condition would be offered.

Source: Cardigan Observer, and General Advertiser For the Counties of Cardigan, Carmarthen and Pembroke, 26 May 1888, Page 2

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen on Wed 6 Nov 2013 - 22:53

Charles Latham was charged on remand at the Clerkenwell Police-court with the wilful murder of Mary Newman by cutting her throat at a house in Drummond-crescent, Somers Town. Further evidence was called to show that jealousy had led the prisoner to commit the act. He was again remanded.

Source: Cardigan Observer, and General Advertiser For the Counties of Cardigan, Carmarthen and Pembroke, 9 June 1888, Page 3

EPITOME OF NEWS.

Charles Latham was again remanded at Clerkenwell on Tuesday on the charge of murdering Mary Newman, with whom he had lived at Somers Town.

Source: Aberystwyth Observer, 2 June 1888, Page 6

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down