Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen

Links

Gallery

Welsh Woman Writes Ripper Letters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Welsh Woman Writes Ripper Letters

Post by Karen on Wed 13 Mar 2013 - 16:05

"JACK THE RIPPER" AT PENRHIWCEIBER.

Miriam Howells, the wife of James Howells, labourer, Penrhiwceiber, was charged that she on the 16th inst, feloniously and maliciously sent letters threatening to kill Elizabeth Magor and Margaret Smith. P.S. Luther Rees (Penrhiwceber) stated that he received the letters produced from the persons to whom they were addressed.
- The clerk of the court read the letter received by Mrs. Magor as follows: -
"Dear Mrs. Boss, - I mean to have your life before Christmas. I will play a _________ of a trick with you old woman. I played a good one on the last, but this will be better. Ain't I clever? - Believe me to remain yours for ever, Jack the Ripper. Beware." He also read the letter sent to Mrs. Smith: -
"Dear Miss Boss, - Before Sunday night I mean to have your life. I shall be upon you without your thinking. I will play a better trick with you than I did with the last one, and that was clever. - Yours truly, Jack the Ripper. Beware." The officer said he saw prisoner on Friday night last, and told her about these two letters. He said, "What in the world did you write those two letters for?" and she replied that she meant no harm, and only did it for a lark, and hoped nothing would come of it. She admitted writing the letters, saying Polly Peak posted one, and David Davies posted the other, and that they were all together, and had the Echo on the table before them. Prisoner now hoped the magistrates would look over it. If she had thought it was coming to that, she never would have done it. Mr. Rhys said it was most unwomanly. He did not know how to speak too strongly of such conduct. At the request of Supt. Thomas, prisoner was remanded for a week. She was admitted to bail in one surety of 50 pounds.

Source: Aberdare Times, 24 November, 1888, Page 4

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top