Parnell Commission Inquiry

Post by Karen on Wed 27 Feb 2013 - 22:24

Ninety-fourth Day of Proceedings - Tuesday, June 25, 1889

THIS DAY'S NEWS.
PARNELL COMMISSION.

DID EGAN VISIT KILMAINHAM?
DR. KENNY CONFRONTED BY LE CARON.

DRAMATIC INCIDENT IN COURT.

At the commencement of the proceedings this morning matters were very dull. Dr. Kenny, who was examined last week, presented himself for cross-examination by the Attorney-General. The preliminary questions related to Dr. Kenny's introduction to political life. He declared that he knew Mr. Egan as a very strong Nationalist. He had declared in his examination-in-chief that Mr. Egan never visited prisoners in Kilmainham Jail, and he now adhered to that statement. The Attorney-General produced the books, which bore the name of Mr. Egan as having been a visitor to Boyton, Brennan, and other political prisoners. Thus confronted, Dr. Kenny declared he did not believe the signature genuine, and that he thought it was placed there by Egan's friends, who were always fond, in those days, of joking with the authorities.

A PLOT TO HOODWINK THE POLICE.

Proceeding, Dr. Kenny said that he did not believe certain newspaper reports to the effect that Mr. Egan was in Ireland in 1881. The Attorney-General produced a copy of the Dublin Express, in which Mr. Egan's name appeared as one of those present at a Land League meeting; but the Doctor adhered to his conviction. Yet another link which seemed to support the theory of Egan's presence was adduced by the Attorney-General. This was a letter said to have been written by Egan to a friend in America at the time of the arrest of Mr. Parnell. Here Dr. Kenny explained that he believed, though he would not say so positively, that all this was simply a plot to hoodwink the police. "If we want to hoax them," he said, with a smile, "we know how to do it."
Subsequently, Mr. Reid interfered, observing that he wished to simplify matters. He was instructed to say that his clients were informed Mr. Egan was in Dublin for a brief period in 1881.
"Well," observed Dr. Kenny, very decisively, and amidst some laughter, "I am positively convinced I am right, and they are wrong."

THE DOCTOR AND THE MAJOR'S FACE.

However, the President interfered, observing that he thought the point sufficiently laboured, and Dr. Kenny's information, upon which he based his conviction, of little value.
Next came a reference to Le Caron, who has sworn the Doctor and Mrs. Kenny entertained him in Ireland, drove him on a jaunting-car to Kilmainham, and otherwise hospitably treated him. The Doctor declared that he could not recollect anything of this, or having seen Le Caron. If he was confronted by him he could say whether he had seen him or not, for he had a good memory for faces.
"Is Le Caron here?" asked the Attorney-General, in his most solemn tone.
"Yes," mildly replied Mr. Soames.
"Let him stand forward, then," the Attorney-General commanded.
Le Caron, who had been sitting on the Times' side of the Court, in a secluded corner near the curtains, stepped quickly forward. His face was very flushed, as he folded his arms and peered curiously up into the Doctor's eyes. The Doctor scanned his countenance for a moment, and turning in the box, threw down the pen with which he had been toying, and observed, with a contemptuous shrug, "I would never let a man with that face into my house."
Subsequently the Attorney-General asked for a definition of that exclamation.
"What exception do you take to the face?" asked the Attorney-General.
"The face speaks for itself."
"As what?"
"Well, as that of a man I would not select as a friend."
"As what?"
"The face (glancing at Le Caron, who had gone back to his corner) is as false as a man ever wore."

THE DOCTOR'S TESTIMONIAL TO FARRAGHER.

Then came references to the man Farragher, the Land League clerk, who gave evidence for the Times. The Doctor alleged in evidence in chief that Farragher "was discharged from the Land League on suspicion, amounting to positive certainty, of purloining stamps."
"But did you not give him a testimonial in March, 1888?" asked the Attorney-General
"I did," was the reply; "but at that time the transaction had escaped my memory." (Laughter.)
"Did you not say that he was an honest, hard-working man?"
"Yes, but I must say that the whole thing escaped my memory, and I was not positive as to his identity."

HOW THE MANIFESTO WAS TAKEN OUT OF JAIL.

The signatures to the "No Rent" Manifesto cropped up next. Dr. Kenny asserted that it was notorious that Mr. Davitt and Mr. Egan never themselves appended their names to the document. It seems that the manifesto was taken out of the jail by the Doctor. He now explained that he found it in his pocket one day when he left the jail after visiting the suspects professionally, but he could not say who put it there. He explained that he had in his employ a man named O'Leary, who acted as a nurse to Boyton when he was ill in jail. That person might have found letters in his pocket. (Laughter.) "Now, tell me, Dr. Kenny, did you not take pride in having invented the "Underground Post"?"
"No, I did not."
"Is it not a fact that you invented the "Underground Post"?"
"No; I declare I did not." (Laughter.)
The Attorney-General accordingly made another departure. He produced the books of the League, and went through them very minutely, the Doctor stating that he was unable to explain several items inserted as having reference to an expenditure in defence of prisoners.
This formed the subject of Dr. Kenny's cross-examination when the Court adjourned for luncheon, the Doctor having informed the Court that possibly - though he could not be certain - he ordered the removal of the Land League books from the offices to Mr. Maloney's just before the suppression of the League.

DR. KENNY'S CORRESPONDENCE WITH EGAN.

After luncheon Dr. Kenny was further examined as to the whereabouts of the books. He gave it as his opinion that one book, the grant book, which they considered one of the most important in connection with the League, was given to Mr. Maloney. As to the taking of the books to Liverpool, and the men who conveyed them thither, he could not give any explanation. Then came the departure of Mr. Egan, of which Dr. Kenny knew nothing. After Egan left Ireland he and witness communicated occasionally at an address which Egan gave. The Attorney-General was anxious to discover whether Dr. Kenny did not address letters through a lady resident in Hammersmith. Upon this point Dr. Kenny was at first a trifle doubtful, but in the end he said he might have sent letters to Egan through this channel.
Then the Attorney-General turned to a letter which he presumed was written by Dr. Kenny to Egan. Witness admitted that the letter was one which he might have written, but he could not admit that he did write it unless he saw the original.
(The report will be continued.)

AT AN END IN FOUR WEEKS.

The Special Commission inquiry is (so the London Correspondent of the Manchester Guardian) expected to come to an end in about four weeks. There are not many more witnesses to call for the defence. Mr. Sexton will be among these. Mr. Davitt will make an independent statement of some length, and then submit himself for cross-examination. The speeches of Mr. Lockwood and Mr. Reid will be brief, and then it will be left to the Attorney-General to do his worst in summing-up. The Times advisers are not anxious to present a supplementary or rebutting case. They think they have done enough already, but they will probably ask to have some witnesses, including Le Caron, brought up again.

THE CRONIN MURDER.
THE EXTRADITION OF BURKE.
[REUTER'S TELEGRAM.]

NEW YORK, June 25. - President Harrison has signed the papers requesting the extradition of Burke from Canada.

The Exchange Telegraph Company is in a position to state that the Lord Chancellor has not created Mr. Ronan, one of the legal representatives of the Times in the Parnell Commission, a Queen's Counsel. The appointment has been made by Lord Ashbourne, the Irish Lord Chancellor, and relates only to the Irish Bar. Mr. Ronan has also quite recently been called to the English Bar.

Source: The Echo, Tuesday June 25, 1889, Page 2

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top