Links

Gallery

Miss Wentworth of Boston Attacked

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Miss Wentworth of Boston Attacked

Post by Karen on Tue 22 Jan 2013 - 21:19

BOSTON'S CRANK.
A Man Who Pretends to Be "Jack the Ripper."

BOSTON, Mass., Nov. 23. - Captain "Jim" Lombert of the East Boston police does not sleep any more of nights, and says he will never slumber until the fiend who prowls the streets at midnight and threatens innocent women with bodily harm is captured and locked up.
The unknown terror has haunted the dimly lighted thoroughfares for over a week. Sunday night he accosted Mrs. Montgomery and her sister near the ferry, as they were returning from evening church services. To them he brandished a stiletto, and made violent threats of doing harm. They screamed so hard that he ran away and was lost in the darkness near the Cunard wharf. Monday evening he again showed himself and his stiletto to Miss Marsh, near the terminus of the Boston, Revere Beach and Lynn railroad, causing her to flee into the ferry house for protection. Early Tuesday morning he appeared to Mrs. O'Leary and her two grown up daughters at Winthrop Junction, as they were bringing up driftwood to kindle the morning fire. To these three women he showed no weapon, but simply told them that he would kill them if they did not give him food. They dropped their wood and ran.
All the females describe their would be assailant as a tall, dark man about 50 years of age. His clothing is seedy and his eyes are as bright as the dagger he carries. On this clew Captain Lambert has had his men out scouring the whole district, but with no results.
And the returns are not all in yet. Tuesday evening Miss Eleanor Wentworth of Chelsea street was going home from a visit to her sister, who lives at the South End, and just as she turned into Chelsea street a man came up behind her and put his hand on her shoulders. Miss Wentworth is a courageous girl and instead of running she turned and asked the man who he was and what he wanted. The reply was paralyzing. He said:
"I am 'Jack the Ripper,' the Whitechapel fiend. They have driven me out of London, but I will get my quota of victims here. I came over on a Cunarder last week. I begin my work now. Prepare to die." Then he gave a mad laugh and ran away.
It took all the camphor and ammonia in the house to enable Miss Wentworth to tell her story when she got home.

Source: The New York Press, Sunday Morning, November 25, 1888, Page 16

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top