» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen

Links

Gallery

Liverpool Husband threatens to "Rip" wife

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Liverpool Husband threatens to "Rip" wife

Post by Karen on Fri 11 Jan 2013 - 8:37

At the Liverpool Police Court, a tall, strong looking labourer was brought up on a warrant charged with wounding his wife, Rebecca, on the 20th ult. The prosecutrix stated that she was married to the prisoner about three months ago, and both of them went to live with his mother in Cabbage Hall. Five weeks ago they took a little house of their own in Knowsley street. At 11 p.m. on Sunday, the 20th ult., the prisoner came home in drink and entered the bedroom with a knife in his hand. Going up to witness he exclaimed, "I'll show you how they do the Londoners. I'll rip you from the bottom of the stomach to the top, right through the ribs." Then taking off his drawers he tied them round her neck and said, "I'm going to finish you and be hung for it," immediately afterwards making a plunge at her neck with the open knife. Witness put up her hands to save her neck and received three severe cuts on her right wrist, each about an inch long. She broke away from him and rushed into the street with only her chemise and shawl on, and had to remain all night at a neighbour's. The following day witness obtained a summons against him, and on returning home found that prisoner had sold the furniture and locked up the house. Meeting her the same night in Hygeia street, he swore at her and said, "I'll do the same to you as "Jack the Ripper." If I can't do that I'll do the same as Corrigan did to his mother, sponge the blood and give it to you to drink. If I get clear I'll be a pal of "Jack the Ripper." While he said this he held an open knife in his hand, and was not intoxicated. Witness ran scared into a shop, afraid of the threatened violence. During their three months of married life the prisoner had several times assaulted and stabbed her, and she was in fear of losing her life. - The Bench decided to bind the prisoner over in his own recognisances of 20 pounds for six months.

Source: The Thames Advertiser, Thursday April 25, 1889

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top