» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen

Links

Gallery

Police Constable Cartwright

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Police Constable Cartwright

Post by Karen on Wed 25 Jul 2012 - 8:57

Police-constable Cartwright is mentioned on page 122 of the book "Jack the Ripper: An Encyclopedia."

WOOLWICH.

THE CHARGE OF INCITING ENGLISH SOLDIERS TO ENLIST IN THE FEDERAL ARMY. - Miles Ellison, who described himself as a commercial traveller, was brought before Mr. Traill on remand, charged with being in the Royal Engineers Barracks for the purpose of inciting the soldiers to desert, and enlist in the Federal Army.
Lieutenant Luard, of the Royal Engineers, was present, and occupied a seat on the bench. Inspector Thompson, of the metropolitan detective force at Scotland-yard, attended, under instructions from Sir Richard Mayne, to watch the case.
Mr. Traill said (addressing the police officer in charge) - This man was remanded last Monday upon a charge of suspicion of having been found in the barracks, and with having endeavoured to induce some of the soldiers to desert and enlist in the Federal army. The evidence was not over clear. Have you since then ascertained any particulars about him?
Cartwright (the officer). - The address he gave was false, and I have been informed that he has been living in a common lodging-house at New-inn-yard. He ought to have appeared at Bow-street on Thursday, in discharge of his recognisances, for stealing a shawl.
Mr. Trail. - He could not do that; he was here locked up. Do you know anything further about him?
Cartwright. - He has left Mr. Hutton's employ some time since; and I have seen his brother-in-law, and he says that ever since he has known him he has always been addicted to drink.
Mr. Traill (to Colour Serjeant Wright). - Have you ascertained anything more?
Wright. - No, sir. I have tried to do so, but cannot find out anything more.
When was he in the barracks? - Saturday night and Sunday night.
Is there no rule as to strangers loitering in the barrack-room? - Yes, sir.
Is it contrary to orders? - Yes, sir, most certainly; but it was quite unknown to me.
Mr. Traill. - Is it a breach of military duty for any soldier to allow it - to take a strange man in to sleep there?
Lieutenant Luard. - Allow me to say, sir, that it is a gross breach of duty, and the man has been punished for it.
Mr. Traill (to Cartwright). - The evidence we have is not sufficient to act upon this charge.
Cartwright. - I have made several inquiries, but cannot learn anything further.
Prisoner. - I should like to have Private Neale called.
Mr. Traill. - What for?
Prisoner. - I wish to ask him some questions upon his evidence the other day. (To Private Neale.) Do you know Page, of the Royal Military Train?
Neale. - Yes.
Prisoner. - Did you meet him and me on Sunday week, the 14th of August, about six o'clock in the evening, at the Sun?
Witness. No.
Mr. Traill. - Were you in his company at all on that day?
Witness. - No; I was not in the company of any private in the Military Train.
Had you seen the prisoner before? - Yes, two or three weeks ago.
Then you had seen him before you saw him on the Friday? - Yes.
What did he say to you about enlisting?
Prisoner (interrupting). - On Sunday afternoon you said to me in barracks that the serjeant suspected you were going to America, and that I was one of the American agents.
Mr. Traill. - What reply did prisoner make to that?
Witness. - I told him that the serjeant suspected him of being one of the American agents, and he said he was not.
Did he offer you any inducement? - He asked if I would go to America, and I said I would if I were discharged.
How was that? - We were in conversation, and he said, "What do you think of the American war; would you go?" I said I did not know much about it, but I would go if I got my discharge.
Did he say, "Will you" or "Would you?" - "Would you like to go?"
Well, what else? - I said I was within two years and three months of having my discharge, and that I should like to go if I could.
How was it asked? In a conversational way, just talking between yourselves? - Yes; that was just how I looked upon it. Just as soldiers might talk amongst themselves, or civilians.
Mr. Trail. - This loose conduct in barracks is the foundation of a great deal that is wrong; and my first impression was that it was something still worse, to find a civilian going to the barracks and sleeping in a soldier's bed.
The Constable Cartwright said that an officer was present to take the prisoner into custody on the charge at Bow-street.
A person from the firm of Messrs. Hutton and Co., for whom the prisoner had been traveller, applied to the magistrates in reference to some samples belonging to the firm; but
Mr. Traill said that was a civil matter.
The prisoner said he would give them up.
Mr. Traill. - With reference to the charge here the prisoner will be discharged. He has done nothing more than act as a drunken man, but whether he has done anything more criminal I have no evidence before me.
The prisoner then left the dock, but was immediately taken into custody by Police-constable 57 F, and conveyed to Bow-street.
The court during the proceedings was crowded with soldiers, who evinced great interest in the matter.

Source: The Evening Herald, Monday August 29, 1864, Page 8

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top