» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen

Links

Gallery

Police Constable Joseph Allen

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Police Constable Joseph Allen

Post by Karen on Sat 26 May 2012 - 19:12

Another interesting name in this article is Amelia Palmer.

BETHNAL GREEN MAN'S SUICIDE.

At the London Hospital, on Wednesday, Mr. Wynne E. Baxter held an inquest on the body of William James Love, 24, a railway labourer, of 77 Coventry Street, Bethnal Green, who shot himself on Friday last.
A brother said the deceased had met with two accidents lately. On the last occasion he smashed his finger and had been in great pain and low spirited. He had no love trouble, and the witness was not aware that he had a revolver.
Amelia Palmer, a widow, said the deceased had lodged with her for nine years. He had not been able to do any work for two months. On Friday he went out for a walk, and returned and went to bed. Someone from his club came to see him, and, after he had gone, the witness heard a noise like the closing of a tin box, and then the deceased groaned. Her son went upstairs and found the deceased bleeding from the eye.
Police-sergeant Graydon and Constable Allen proved finding a six-chambered revolver in the bed, one chamber having been discharged.
Joseph Green, of the Mile End Rifle range, proved selling the deceased the revolver and 25 cartridges for 5s. 9d. at 6:15 on Friday evening.
The Coroner: Did he say what he wanted it for?
The Witness: He said that the night before he had been set upon by some roughs in Coventry Street, and that they sprained his collar-bone and broke his finger.
The Coroner: Then the inference is that he bought it for the purpose of shooting anyone if he was attacked again. Very nice I am sure.
Dr. Hugh Lett, house surgeon, said that the deceased died the next morning. He must have held the revolver right against the orbit of the eye when he fired.
The coroner remarked that there must have been some reason for the act which had not transpired.
Sergeant Graydon said that he had made inquiries and found that the story of the attack was quite untrue.
The jury returned a verdict of "Suicide whilst of unsound mind."

Source: The Mercury, Saturday March 30, 1901

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Police Constable Joseph Allen

Post by Karen on Sun 27 May 2012 - 9:17

LONDON BUFFALO HUNT.
Policeman Pluckily Stops Runaway Animal's Mad Career.

The neighbourhood of Euston Station was enlivened on Wednesday night by the spectacle of an Indian buffalo careering through the streets pursued by a yelling crowd.
The animal, which was being conveyed to the station for transport by rail, broke loose from its keeper, and galloped madly along the neighbouring thoroughfares. Within a few minutes a crowd of several hundred persons joined in the pursuit.
After careering along Drummond-street, the buffalo swerved round into Seymour-street, making straight for a barricade which surrounded a portion of the roadway under reconstruction. It continued its dash down Lancing-street and Churchway.
Here Constable Allen courageously grappled with the buffalo single-handed, forcing the animal's head to the ground by its horns. An exciting struggle ensued, in which the animal's keeper, who came to the constable's assistance, was thrown to the ground and received a cut above the eye.
The buffalo once more regained its liberty, but was quickly secured, and after being tied by the ring in its nose to a passing van, was hauled ingloriously back to Euston Station and safely boxed.
The incident was not without humour, for one man, who attempted to capture the animal by catching hold of its tail, was injudiciously hung on to by several persons anxious to assist. The man's hold gave way, with the result that the whole of them fell backwards into the roadway.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly News, May 5, 1912, Page 5

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen on Sun 27 May 2012 - 9:24

A SOUTH END EPISODE.
Distracted London Builder Runs Away from a Police Court Summons.

A builder named Walter Foskett should have attended at the Guildhall last Monday to answer a charge of cruelty to a horse. He failed to do so, and was summoned to attend next day. Again he failed to answer, and it was reported that he had been arrested at Southend-on-Sea.
He was yesterday charged on a warrant.
The Alderman: Why did you not attend?
Defendant (with considerable emotion): To tell you the truth, sir, I have been so depressed owing to the trouble in the building trade and war that I lost myself and went to Southend, and remember no more until I was dragged out of the water and charged at the police station.
Constable Allen: That is so. He threw himself into the sea, and was charged with attempted suicide.
Evidence as to the cruelty having been given, Alderman Sir John Baddeley discharged the defendant on the payment of 29s. costs.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly News, November 8, 1914, Page 5

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen on Sun 27 May 2012 - 9:32

MAGISTRATE AND CARRIER.

At the Guildhall police-court yesterday, before Mr. Alderman Hanson, Frederick Norris, a carman, and Robert Butcher, a horsekeeper, both in the employ of Mr. R. Cornell, carrier, 2, Mysore-road, S.W., were charged with cruelty to a horse - the former by working it while in an unfit condition, and the latter by causing it to be worked. - Police-constable Allen said he stopped Norris driving this animal, which was very lame. He stated that Butcher sent him out with it, and the latter declared that he thought it was "all right." - Veterinary evidence showed that the horse must have been working in pain.
The Alderman: Are the defendants known?
- Bodman (the gaoler): I don't know either of these two, but other horsekeepers of Mr. Cornell's have been here for cruelty and fined.
- The Alderman: Then I wish I had Mr. Cornell here. I should send him to prison for a month. Butcher, you will be fined 5 pounds and 18s. costs, and I think Mr. Cornell ought to pay it. Norris will be dismissed.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly News, November 19, 1905, Page 2

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down