Face of Winifred May Davies
Latest topics
» Why Jesus Is Not God
Mon 17 Apr 2017 - 0:09 by Karen

» The Fourth Reich
Fri 14 Apr 2017 - 14:14 by Karen

» Allah, The Real Serpent of the Garden
Tue 7 Mar 2017 - 11:45 by Karen

Sat 4 Mar 2017 - 12:06 by Karen

» Hillary Clinton (Hillroy Was Here)
Fri 28 Oct 2016 - 17:38 by Karen

» Alien on the Moon
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 21:57 by Karen

» Martian Nonsense Repeats Itself
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 18:43 by Karen

» Enlil and Enki
Fri 7 Oct 2016 - 17:11 by Karen

» Israel Shoots Down Drone - Peter Kucznir's Threat
Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 22:55 by Karen

» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen



The Tragedy of the "Titanic"

Go down

The Tragedy of the "Titanic"

Post by Karen on Mon 23 Apr 2012 - 3:37


Men Notable in Society, Politics, Art, and Journalism.




The Titanic was a liner for millionaires, and, after a holiday stay in this country, many wealthy men took passage by her in order to say that they travelled in the biggest ship afloat upon her maiden voyage. Two sets of cabins for the voyage were priced at 870 pounds apiece.
Four passengers alone are said to have been worth 70,000,000 pounds, and upon the vessel were men known to have represented a minimum capital of 120,000,000 pounds.
Beside Colonel J.J. Astor, who was the reputed possessor of thirty millions, Mr. Benjamin Guggenheim owned but ten millions less, and Mr. I. Straus and Mr. G. Widener held capital of at least ten millions each. Other millionaires on board were:

Mr. W. Roebling.............................5,000,000 pounds
Mr. Charles M. Hays........................1,500,000 pounds
Mr. William Dulles..........................1,000,000 pounds
Mr. Emil Taussig.............................1,000,000 pounds
Mr. Frederick M. Hoyt.......................1,000,000 pounds
Mr. Clarence Moore..........................1,000,000 pounds

In addition to these passengers, representing between them over 80,000,000 pounds, there are several others who, if not actually millionaires, were extremely wealthy, and would easily approximate another 20,000,000 pounds.
Biographies of Colonel J.J. Astor, Mr. Isidore Straus, and Mr. George D. Widener will be found in a neighbouring column.
Other rich men who travelled by the Titanic were Mr. J.B. Brady, Mr. Howard Case, Mr. J.B. Cummings, Mr. T.P. Franklin, Mr. Hermann Klaber, Mr. D.W. Marvin, Mr. V. Payne, Mr. Frederick Sutton, and Mr. G. Wick.
The Countess of Rothes was on her way to America to meet the Earl of Rothes. They have planned a trip through the States to the West, returning via Canada.
President Taft suffers a great personal loss in the death of Major Archibald Butt, who had been his aide-de-camp, and was on his way home from visiting the Pope upon a matter of etiquette in respect of the precedence of American cardinals.
Major Butt's friendship with Presidents Roosevelt and Taft was only one of his many titles to respect and popularity. Major Butt had been, like the present American Ambassador in London, a journalist, a Washington correspondent; a position in which to know everything is not to know enough. Later Major-General Corbin sent Butt to the Philippines, where he did such good work as to earn a commission in the regular army, and so found his way into the White House, via Cuba, the latter always a passport to President Roosevelt's affections, since it was to Cuba that the colonel of Rough Riders owed his Presidency.
Mr. Benjamin Guggenheim, the millionaire, belonged to an American banking house, and was one of the famous family associated with Mr. Pierpont Morgan.
Mr. Guggenheim was of Swiss origin. Mining and smelting were the origins of the family fortunes. Mr. Benjamin Guggenheim married a daughter of Mr. James Seligman, of the banking house which, both in Europe and America, will always be remembered as one of the few which declined to believe in the Southern Confederacy of 1861-65. Their faith in the North and in the Union brought them a harvest which others might have reaped, but did not. His spirit of adventure and invention was American, and his success was on the true American scale. He dies at the age of forty-seven.
Mr. J.B. Thayer was president of the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Other Millionaires.

Mr. Washington Roebling was the millionaire president and director of John A. Roebling's Sons Co., iron and steel wire and wire-rope manufacturers. In conjunction with his father, he built the Brooklyn Bridge, and the Pittsburg and Cincinnati and Covington suspension bridges. He served in the Union Army as a private.
Jonkheer J.G. Reuchlin was joint managing director of the Holland-American Line.
Of the other millionaires Mr. Clarence Moore was a famous owner of steeplechase horses, of Washington; Mr. William Dulles was a private gentleman, of Philadelphia; Mr. Taussig was a New York business magnate; and Mr. Frederick M. Hoyt was of the New York "Four Hundred." Mr. Washington Dodge, a Philadelphia millionaire, and his son were on board.
A statement that Mr. Thomas Pears, of the well-known soap firm, and Mrs. Thomas Pears, had been saved seems, unfortunately, to have been based upon a misunderstanding.
Mr. Thomas Andrews was one of the managing directors of Harland and Wolff, and is a son of Mr. Thomas Andrews, chairman of Belfast and County Down Railway.
Mr. Chisholm was chief draughtsman of both the Olympic and the Titanic.
Mr. Henry B. Harris was a theatrical manager, and son of the owner of many New York theatres.
Mr. Christopher Head was a former Mayor of Chelsea, much interested in art matters, and took a prominent part in discussions at the Mansion House regarding the King Edward memorial.
Mr. Francis Davis Millet was a prominent American artist, war correspondent, and author. He had an adventurous career, serving in the Civil War as drummer and assistant surgeon, acting as correspondent of the "New York Herald" and the London "Daily News" in the Russo-Turkish war, when he was attached to General Stoeleff's staff at Plevna, and war correspondent for the "Times" in the Philippines expedition of 1898. He received the Legion of Honour of France decoration. A painting of his hangs in the Tate Gallery, London. He had a residence at Broadway, Worcestershire.
The leader of the Titanic orchestra was Mr. Wallace Hartley, only son of Mr. Albion Hartley of Dewsbury, Yorkshire. He had been leader of the orchestra at Bridlington; had toured with the Carl Rosa and the Moody-Manners opera companies.

Strenuous Career of the Great Journalist and Apostle of Peace.

The loss of Mr. W.T. Stead, whose name is included among the missing passengers, has come as a great personal bereavement to all who knew him. There was not a braver man on the Titanic, and not one who would meet death more unflinchingly.
By the force of his personality and the strength of his convictions, which he held sincerely and expressed vigorously. Mr. Stead exercised an influence on behalf of many good causes. One of the last campaigns which he took up was to try and organise a war against Italy's war in Tripoli. Twice he went to Constantinople to lay a scheme before the Sultan and his Ministers, but they moved too slowly for Mr. Stead. He wanted them "to send a mission throughout Europe," and, as nothing ever discouraged him, he would, no doubt, have returned to the charge, had he been spared.
Before he came to London forty years ago Mr. Stead had already made a name for himself as a journalist. "Tell that good man Stead to get on with his work," said Carlyle, when Mr. Stead was editing the "Northern Echo." Mr. Stead's editorship of the "Pall Mall Gazette" was one of the most brilliant episodes in the history of English journalism. He brought to the paper an energy, originality, and fertility of mind which transformed its whole character. He was the originator of the Interview in England.
When Mr. Stead became editor of the "Pall Mall Gazette" he started one campaign after another, such as his famous "Truth About the Navy," his great crusades on behalf of General Gordon, his campaign against rack-renting and coercion in Ireland, his exposures of many shams, and his attacks on behalf of some great injustice. He gathered around him a brilliant staff. At one time his chief assistant editor was Mr. Alfred Milner (now Lord Milner). His other assistants were Mr. E.T. Cook and Sir Henry Norman, M.P.

Eventful History of Colonel John Jacob Astor.

Married six months ago, a member of the well-known New York family of that name, Colonel John Jacob Astor, who is among the dead, was one of America's very wealthy men who had considerable business interests which frequently required his presence on this side of the Atlantic. He was a great capitalist, his fortune being variously estimated at from ten to twenty millions sterling.
In 1891 Colonel Astor married Miss Ava Willing, by whom he had one son and one daughter, but Mrs. Astor, who is very well known in London society, obtained a divorce in 1909. In September last Colonel Astor married Miss Madeleine Force, a beautiful girl of eighteen summers, an alliance which created a great amount of interest and adverse criticism in America. They left New York in the Olympic last January for Paris, afterwards paying a visit to Egypt. They were on their way home in the Titanic. Mrs. Astor is among the saved.
Colonel Astor, who was a clever inventor, served his country as a soldier in Cuba during the Spanish-American war, where he was a member of General Shafter's staff. He bought and presented to the United States a fully-equipped battery of field artillery, at a cost of 20,000 pounds. After the surrender of Santiago he was selected by General Shafter to carry the despatches containing the terms of capitulation to the Secretary for War at Washington.
One of the 870 pound suites on the Titanic was occupied by Mr. and Mrs. George D. Widener. The lady and her maid are saved. Mr. Widener was drowned. He is the son of Mr. P.A.B. Widener, the Philadelphia millionaire, who will be remembered as the purchaser last May of the famous Rembrandt picture, "The Mill," from Lord Lansdowne for 100,000 pounds. Mr. Widener had a large number of works of art on board, including a superb piece of Sevres china which he had purchased in London for a considerable sum. The Widener Gallery is a gallery of masterpieces. Mr. Harry Widener was also travelling on the Titanic.
Mr. Isidore Straus, a member of Congress, and partner in the great firm of R.H. Macy, of New York, was born in Bavaria in 1845. In 1854 he migrated across the Atlantic, and in America built up many great commercial interests. He was first elected a member of Congress in 1893, and his reputation dates from his influence with President Cleveland during the financial crisis of 1893-4. Mr. Cleveland rightly believed in him and trusted him, and Mr. Straus never, so long as the Cleveland Presidency lasted, lost touch with the White House. Currency and the gold basis were his specialities, and it is quite possible that but for Mr. Straus President Cleveland could never have been brought to plant himself firmly on the gold standard. Other credit came to him as a philanthropist, as a leader in efforts towards a better form of higher education, as a public-spirited citizen, as a social or sociological reformer, widely concerned in charities and in good works for classes of citizens less fortunate than himself.


A phase of the Titanic disaster which is peculiarly sad is the number of honeymoon couples and newly-married people who were on board.
Mrs. D.W. Marvin, the eighteen-year-old bride of a young American, not yet out of his teens, is among the survivors; her husband's name has not yet appeared among the survivors.
They were returning to New York from a three weeks' honeymoon in England.
Mr. Marvin was the son of the head of one of the largest cinematograph organisations in America, and was being trained as an engineer. Mrs. Marvin is an extremely pretty and vivacious girl. They had been, said a friend, in England, just like two happy schoolchildren on a holiday. They spent most of their time sight-seeing and going to parties, dances, and the like. Everyone made much of them. The girl's parents are wealthy, and she had received 2,000 pounds from her mother as a wedding present.
Mr. Edward Beane and Mrs. Ethel Beane, second-class passengers, who are among the survivors, were married at Norwich several days ago. Both are of Norwich parentage, and Mr. Beane, who has been engaged in the building trade in America, returned to England about three weeks ago to get married. Only a few days of the honeymoon had been spent at Norwich before they started for America.
Mr. Sedgwick, an engineer at St. Helen's Electricity Works, Lancashire, was going to Mexico to take up an appointment, having been married only a week before his departure. His bride remains in England. His name is not among the survivors.
A young Russian watchmaker named Harmer, who was married to a Russian girl, aged twenty, in Manchester, recently, was a steerage passenger. He had started in business at Strangeways, Manchester, but decided to emigrate and send for his wife.
Mr. and Mrs. McNamee, married a month ago, were passengers, but neither appears in the list of survivors. Mr. McNamee, one of the branch managers of Lipton's, was on his way to take up a post in New York.
Mr. and Mrs. Marshall were on a honeymoon trip to California. Mr. Marshall was a partner in a big boot business in Scotland.
Mr. Alfred Davis, of West Bromwich, married two days before the boat left. He was accompanied by his two brothers and his brother-in-law.


The curious coincidence is worth recalling that in the Christmas number of the "Review of Reviews" for 1893 a story appeared which bore the title of "From the Old World to the New," by Mr. W.T. Stead. In it he dwelt at some length on the perils of icebergs in the Atlantic.
The scene of the tale was laid on board the White Star liner Majestic, which was then commanded by the same Captain Smith who went down so gallantly in the Titanic, and a portrait of Captain Smith was given.
The Majestic in the tale drives through fog into floe ice, when suddenly the fog lifts and discloses near at hand a "dazzling array of icebergs, ever shifting and moving. Now and again a great berg would capsize with a reverberant roar." And on one of the bergs a little party of castaways are discovered, who have made their presence known to those on board the ship by telepathy.
There is a tragic note of prophecy in the words of the tale: "The ocean bed beneath the run of the liners is strewn with the whitening bones of thousands who have taken their passages as we have done, but who never saw their destination."


Mr. Andrew Carnegie, in sending to Mr. Gaynor, the Mayor of New York, a cheque for 5,000 dollars for the Titanic relief fund, wrote: "What was the Titanic doing up among the ice when she had the whole Atlantic Ocean to the south open and free. This is the root of the matter. Passenger steamships should be compelled to keep far south below the range of icebergs at all seasons. The question of lifeboats is secondary to this vital requirement."


The White Star Line on Thursday night received the following message from the Crown Prince and Princess of Germany from Dantzig: "We wish to express our most true sympathy and deep sorrow at the terrible disaster that has befallen the company, and with all those who have suffered through it."

Source: Lloyd's Weekly News, April 21, 1912, Page 17

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Tragedy of the "Titanic"

Post by Karen on Wed 25 Apr 2012 - 2:53


Source: Lloyd's Weekly News, April 28, 1912, Page 2

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Tragedy of the "Titanic"

Post by Karen on Wed 2 May 2012 - 2:44



Of the 2,208 persons who were on board the ill-fated White Star liner Titanic when she struck an iceberg on her maiden voyage, and a few hours later sank in two miles of water, only 706 have reached land alive.
The liner Carpathia, which was the only vessel to reach the scene of the disaster in time to effect any rescues, landed her burden of distraught and suffering people at New York on Friday.
Her arrival there enabled the world to hear for the first time the full story of the disaster which has no equal, in its appalling results, in all maritime history.
The awful nature of the calamity may be gathered from the following figures: -

Passengers.................. Saved.....................Lost...................Total

First Class.....................202........................128....................330
Second Class.................115.........................205...................320
Third Class....................178.........................572...................750
Officers and Crew...........210.........................730...................940


Out of the ship's total complement, therefore, less than one-third were rescued. The remainder went down to a watery grave in the icy depths of the North Atlantic.
The stories told by those who were saved are thrilling yet harrowing - tales which excite pity and admiration at the same time.
The admission is now made that she was travelling at twenty-one knots, while a petty officer asserts that "there were general orders to smash the record."
It seems strange that though the Titanic hit the iceberg with such force that her bottom was practically torn out, none of the passengers appear to have thought that anything alarming had occurred.
Yet an hour or two later the leviathan foundered. When it became certain that the vessel was doomed the ship's orchestra gathered on deck and as the Titanic settled lower and lower in the water played the well-known hymn, "Nearer, my God, to Thee."
It was at first reported that Captain Smith had shot himself, but this proved untrue. He remained on the bridge until the end.
In the face of death the sternest discipline prevailed. One panic-stricken man who forced his way into the lifeboat with the women was shot dead by the captain. His body fell at the feet of Lady Duff Gordon, who tells the story.
It must have been a terrible experience for the survivors as they rowed away to hear from those left struggling in the icy waves piteous shrieks for help, and to know that they could do nothing.
Had there been more boats on the Titanic it is certain that hundreds more lives would have been saved.
When the survivors landed at New York there were pitiful scenes. Men fell down in their frantic joy and kissed their loved ones, and women became hysterical and fainted.

Carpathia Answers Urgent Wireless Calls for Help.

Of all the ships that were crossing the Atlantic Ocean on the fatal Sunday night when the proud Titanic, greatest liner afloat, met her sudden and awful doom, only one, the Cunarder Carpathia, reached the spot in time to rescue any of the imperilled occupants of the open boats. And even the Carpathia reached the scene of the dread catastrophe too late to see the Titanic herself before she plunged, with many hundreds still on board, into the depths.
The Carpathia found twenty boat-loads of survivors, most of them women and children, floating about among the ice-floes. All these people were taken aboard after many hours' manoeuvring, and the captain sent the following message to land: -

I am proceeding to New York, unless otherwise ordered, with about 600 survivors.
After consulting with Mr. Bruce Ismay and considering the circumstances, with so much ice around, I consider New York to be the best port to make for.
There are a large number of icebergs about, and near us is a twenty-mile ice-field containing many bergs.

For hours before this the wireless operator on the Titanic had been sending broadcast the "S.O.S." message, which has replaced the "C.Q.D." in the Morse code as the call of extreme urgency. All over the Atlantic and along the seaboard the appeal ran. No fewer than fifty vessels picked it up. Among those nearest to the Titanic were her own sister-ship, the Olympic, the Parisian, the Virginian, besides the Carpathia.
The Virginian's wireless operator was able to transmit further messages from the Titanic, stating that the forepart of the vessel was flooded, that she was settling down by the head, and that the passengers were being transferred to the boats.
The Virginian was then 170 miles west of the disabled vessel, and when at 12:27 a.m. (Canadian time) she reported that the Titanic's signals had ended abruptly the worst was feared.
When the Carpathia had picked up the last of the occupants of the boats, and had searched the sea round about, she at once set out for New York. Then began one of the most sorrowful tragic voyages ship has ever taken.
Delayed by fog, the Carpathia crept towards New York at a snail's pace with her burden of sorrowing humanity, while the world waited in suspense for the true story of the calamity.
There were many scenes, touching beyond description, when the liner docked about one o'clock (English time) on Friday morning. At the battery of New York City ten thousand people gathered amid pouring rain to watch the vessel pass.
Flags on all buildings were at half-mast, and they were clearly visible from the deck of the Carpathia. At nine o'clock in the evening the crush in the side streets was so great that an impassable block in the road running parallel with the river along which the survivors would travel later seemed inevitable. The mounted police grasped the situation, and the crowd retreated.
Nearly a quarter of a mile of roadway in front of the Cunard landing pier was occupied by double lines of police. Only a few people bearing permits were allowed to pass the cordon, and even they were frequently challenged. This precaution was taken entirely on account of sympathy with the sufferers, and in order that their disembarkation from the Carpathia might be made as easy as possible. No photographers were allowed on the landing pier.
Inside the great roofed depot there was no clamour, as is usual when a Cunarder arrives; no shouting relatives; no music; no flowers. The crowd in waiting numbered only a few hundreds, chiefly men, officials, reporters, and relatives, some in mourning; and until the Carpathia was actually in sight there was a sad silence.
At the pier itself the scene on the arrival of the liner was one of much solemnity. Most of those who were meeting survivors brought rugs, clothing, and camp-stools with them. There were hundreds of motor-cars and many ambulances, and the presence of white-clad doctors from the hospitals and of nurses with the ambulances added a painful touch to the scene. Many women sobbed as the vessel came alongside.
Shortly before the arrival of the liner the committee of the New York Stock Exchange brought to the pier a sum of 4,000 pounds to be distributed among those on board most in need of assistance.
During the greater part of Thursday the Carpathia's wireless apparatus had spoken with the shore, indicating the probable time of her arrival. As a rule, the American reporters board liners in harbour and interview passengers before they land; but in this case the port authorities, with a tender respect for the sufferers and mourners, refused them permission to board the Cunarder in harbour or out at sea.
However, the irrepressible American journalists chartered several boats, which put forth to sea in the early hours of the morning, and they met the Carpathia as she slowed down on her last lap of the mournful journey, preparatory to threading her path through the long and narrow channel which leads into New York Harbour.
One little craft with New York reporters aboard pegged alongside the liner with the evident intention of landing its occupants on the Carpathia; but the liner refused permission.
The steerage passengers of the Titanic, in pitiful groups, stared out vaguely into the night toward the city of New York.
Any children that the Carpathia carried were not visible. It was raining hard and blowing, and the people on deck apparently only formed a small proportion of the total human freight aboard. Messages of condolence, sympathy, and inquiry were megaphoned from the little steamers, but the big liner swept sternly and silently along.
"What was your speed when you collided with the iceberg?" megaphoned one man. "Tell us something for New York," shouted another; but if any reply came it was never heard.
Slowly, and with her speed continually decreasing as New York came nearer, the Carpathia advanced to port.

Pathetic Scenes of Joy and Sorrow in the Dock.

The scenes in dock at New York as the survivors landed from the Carpathia were full of suppressed excitement. Men were in hysterics, women fainting, children almost crushed in the arms of those welcoming them. Men fell down to kiss the knees of their beloved ones, women shrieked and wept and collapsed in the arms of their brothers and husbands.
The number of badly injured was, however, not nearly so large as had been imagined. The cases requiring hospital attention were few, but the strain of the trial of their lives had left unmistakable signs in the faces of the arrivals. Some could barely talk, others could not refrain from shouting. What was a joyous occasion to some killed the last rays of hope in the breasts of others. Many were the affecting scenes both of joy and sorrow!
When most of the passengers had departed crowds remained about to get a glimpse of the rescuing steamer and to hear the harrowing stories which had been brought back by the ship.
Among the most affecting scenes at the landing was the sight of the women steerage survivors as they came down from the deck thinly clad and shivering, their eyes red with constant weeping. In their faces was the drawn tense look of a desperate haunting fear. They were taken care of at once by members of the numerous charitable organisations who were at hand. Among these was a committee of Stock Exchange brokers, who went distributing gold, part of a $20,000 subscription that had been made up in the past few days.
It was learned from the survivors that five, some said six, of the rescued died on board the Carpathia, and were buried at sea. Three of these were sailors - the other two or three were passengers. Exposure to the ice and the cold sea where the Titanic foundered had brought about their deaths, though everything possible was done for them.

Serious Allegations by Committee of Survivors.

To the Pressmen waiting for news was handed the following statement drawn up by a committee of the surviving passengers: -
We, the undersigned surviving passengers of the Titanic, in order to forestall any sensational and exaggerated statements, deem it our duty to give to the Press a statement of the facts which have come to our knowledge, and which we believe to be true. On Sunday, April 14, 1912, at about 11:40, on a cold, starlit night, the ship struck an iceberg which had been reported to the bridge by the look-out, but not early enough to avoid a collision.
Steps were taken to ascertain the damage and save the passengers and the ship.
Orders were given to put on lifebelts, the boats were lowered, and the usual distress signals were sent out by wireless telegraphy, and rockets were fired at intervals.
Fortunately a wireless message was received by the Carpathia about midnight. She arrived on the scene of the disaster about 4 a.m. on Monday. The officers and crew of the Carpathia had been preparing all night for the rescue work and for the comfort of the survivors.
These were received on board with the most touching care and kindness. Every attention was given to them all, irrespective of class.
Passengers, officers, and crew gladly gave up their state rooms, clothing, and comforts for our benefit. All honour to them!
The English Board of Trade passengers certificate on board the Titanic allowed for a total of approximately 2,500. The same certificate called for lifeboat accommodation for approximately 950 in the following boats: -

Fourteen large lifeboats, two smaller boats, four collapsible boats.
Life preservers were accessible in apparently sufficient number for all on board.
The approximate number of passengers carried at the time of the collision was: - First Class, 330; second class, 320; third class, 750; total, 1,400. Officers and crew, 940, Total, 2,340.
Of the foregoing about the following number were rescued by the Carpathia: -

First class......................................210
Second class..................................128
Third class.....................................200

The number saved was about eighty per cent, of the maximum capacity of the lifeboats. We feel it our duty to call the attention of the public to what we consider the inadequate supply of life-saving appliances provided, for modern passenger steamships, and recommend that immediate steps be taken to compel passenger steamers to carry sufficient boats to accommodate the maximum number of people carried on board.
The following facts were observed and should be considered in this connection. In addition to the insufficiency of lifeboats, rafts, etc., there was a lack of trained seamen to man the same - stokers, stewards, etc., are not efficient boat handlers. There were not enough officers to carry out the emergency orders on the bridge and to superintend the launching and control of the lifeboats.
On the Titanic the boat deck was about 75ft. above water, and, consequently, the passengers were required to embark before the lowering of the boats, thus endangering the operation and preventing the taking on of the maximum number the boats would hold.
The boats at all times to be properly equipped with provisions, water, lamps, compasses, lights, etc.
Life-saving boat drills should be more frequent and thoroughly carried out, and officers should be armed at boat drill. A greater reduction in speed in fog and ice, as the damage, if a collision actually occurs, is liable to be less.
In conclusion, we suggest that an international conference should be called, and we recommend the passage of identical laws providing for the safety of all at sea. We urge the United States Government to take the initiative as soon as possible.
The statement is signed by Mr. Samuel Goldenberg, chairman of the Passengers' Committee, and twenty-five others. - Reuter.

Col. Astor's Military Salute in Farewell to His Wife.

Thrilling stories of how two millionaires met their death calmly amid the awful tumult show the heroic side of the tragedy.
Mr. Thornton, who was in the first cabin, told the story of how Mr. Isadore Straus, the New York millionaire, and his wife met their fate together.
Mr. Thornton said: "The aged couple stood arm-in-arm on the deck of the first cabin, very peaceful and calm amidst all the uproar and strife of the struggling hundreds at the boats.
"Old Mr. Straus was tenderly reassuring his partner of years, and neither made any attempt to reach the lifeboats. His aged helpmate looked up into his face, and out of all the misery that that great ship contained, the sweetness of the sight of the two standing side by side while death came was the sweetest picture I ever saw.
"Those two old persons stood calmly waiting death which was inevitable. They knew it, but they were not dismayed.
"I shall never forget the Strauses. They had been "Darby and Joan" in life, and they have not been separated in death. Sailors of the Titanic rushed up to them and tried to drag them apart.
"They sought to wrench the woman from her husband and put her in one of the boats. She refused and would not let go of her husband, and finally the sailors gave up their task and rushed to help others.
"As the lifeboats drew away I could see the pair together still arm-in-arm, Straus bending towards the partner of his declining years, giving her a farewell kiss. It was an inspiring picture."
Survivors who came ashore from the Carpathia told a thrilling story about Colonel J.J. Astor and his wife. He held his wife in his arms for a moment and kissed her before placing her in the lifeboat. Then he stood erect, and with a military salute turned back to take his place.
"It was the finest thing I ever saw," said Mr. Daniels, who witnessed the incident.

Major Peuchen Says More Lives Might Have Been Saved.

Major Arthur Peuchen, of Toronto, who assisted in getting the women and children into the lifeboats, and was given charge of one of them, as he is an experienced yachtsman, spoke of seeing Mr. Hays, the president of the Grand Trunk Railway, helping in the control of the passengers as the Titanic sank.
Major Peuchen declares that there was unnecessary loss of life because of the lack of discipline on board the Titanic. "The sailors worked well," he said, "in most cases, but they were so hampered by excitable passengers that they themselves became upset and lost control.
"It was due to the lack of discipline, that many of the boats were sent away half-filled with people, while others were overcrowded. The ship remained afloat long enough for this work to have been done properly, and if it had been, despite the fewness of the boats, there would be many more of the Titanic's people alive today."


Amid the confusing details and the conflicting stories of what really occurred the following salient facts appear to stand out prominently:

It was a clear, starlit night.

The berg, from 50 to 180 feet high, was struck at 11:35 p.m. on Sunday.

The blow was a glancing one on the starboard side, which was ripped open, rendering useless the essential water-tight compartments.

She sank in two miles of water, two hours and forty-five minutes after she struck.

No ice had been seen during the day, and the ship's searchlights were not brought into play at night.

Captain Smith was not on the bridge when the vessel struck, the first officer being in charge.

Passengers in their beds were aroused, not by the collision, but by the stopping of the engines.

The boilers blew up a few minutes before the Titanic sank; the bow went first and the stern reared high in the air.

Electric lights burned on the vessel until the boilers gave out.

One lifeboat was filled with stokers.

The lifeboats carrying the women waited some distance from the ship until she sank, and then drew in and picked up the men found floating in the sea.

With a few inevitable exceptions the finest heroism was displayed by all on board.

Captain Smith, indifferent to his own safety, worked till the very last moment to save as many as possible.

"Be British" was his word to one and all.

It is officially declared that 1,635 people were drowned.

There are 705 survivors, all of whom were picked up from boats by the Cunarder Carpathia.

Most of the heroic bandsmen were British. The entire band played on, even as the ship took her last plunge.

Hundreds more could easily have been saved if there had been more boats on board.

Panic fear had seized some passengers when it was seen that there were no more boats.

Some men who tried to rush into a boat when there were still some women on board were kept back by the revolvers of the captain and officers.

Lady Duff Gordon was getting into a boat when a man rushed for a place. A shot rang out and the man fell at Lady Duff Gordon's feet. The body fell into the boat and was left there.

Those who escaped the suction of the sinking ship were quickly numbed into unconsciousness by the icy coldness of the water.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly News, April 21, 1912, Page 5

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Tragedy of the "Titanic"

Post by Karen on Fri 11 May 2012 - 18:48


(Received 8, 10 a.m.)

The ship Mina has arrived with seventeen bodies recovered from the Titanic wreck. Sixteen of the number, had died from exposure four or five hours after the sinking of the ship. The bodies were found miles apart.
The Canadian Government has sent a steamer to search for bodies believed to have drifted from the edge of the gulf stream into cold water.

(Received 8, 10:30 a.m.)
LONDON, May 7.

At the Titanic inquiry, Beecham, a fireman, stated that when the ship struck the order was given to stop engines and stand by. The water-tight doors were closed and within five minutes the fires were drawn.
His boat did not contain a compass, lamp, water, or provisions.

LONDON, May 5.

Lord Derby and an influential committee set up in Liverpool have inaugurated a fund to erect a national statue to the memory of the thirty-two engineers who perished at their posts in the wreck of the Titanic.


LONDON, May 4.

Jewell, a seaman who was on the lookout, stated in evidence that he received a telephone message from the bridge at 9:30 p.m. on Sunday, instructing him to keep a sharp watch for ice. He repeated the order to the watch relieving him.
Another seaman, Scarrott, stated that it was difficult for the third-class passengers to reach the boat-deck, as two ladders were the only means of approach.

Source: The Bay of Plenty Times, Wednesday May 8, 1912, Page 5

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Tragedy of the "Titanic"

Post by Karen on Fri 11 May 2012 - 18:56


LONDON, May 7.

At the Titanic inquiry Hitchens said that up to the moment the vessel struck her speed was 45 knots every two hours.
Replying to a representative of the steerage passengers at the Titanic inquiry, counsel stated that two third-class passengers allege that while swimming about members of the crew struck their heads and hands and prevented them climbing into the boats.

NEW YORK, May 8.

The German steamer Climo reports having sighted a broken iceberg, 130 feet high, carrying saloon fittings, handbags, chairs, and cushions.

(Received May 8, 11 p.m.)

NEW YORK, May 8.

Colonel Astor left his wife 1,000,000 pounds, conditionally upon her remaining single, and his son comes in for 14,000,000 pounds.

Source: The Marlborough Express, Thursday May 9, 1912, Page 4

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Tragedy of the "Titanic"

Post by Karen on Fri 11 May 2012 - 19:41



NEW YORK, April 26.

It is rumoured that there are internal dissensions in the Investigating Committee appointed by the Senate to inquire into the Titanic disaster owing to the chairman (Senator Smith) monopolising the time at the sittings.
Hitchings, the Titanic's quartermaster has been allowed to return to England after a vote of the Committee over-ruling Senator Smith's refusal.
Signor Marconi was sharply examined by the Committee concerning the alleged wireless message to the operator on the Carpathia advising him to withhold his narrative. He said that he did not know that the message was sent, although the operators were authorised to sell their stories.
Mr. Bride, assistant operator on the Titanic, said he received 100 pounds from one newspaper.
The Marconi Company, the witness said, was not responsible for the delay in publishing the details of the disaster. The conduct of the wireless was left to the Carpathia's captain.
Marconi advocated that each Government controlling certain wave lengths, should have the power of issuing licenses to use these, and that when available wave lengths were exhausted they should refuse to license any more stations.

LONDON, April 25.

The following statement of the numbers of passengers who travelled in the different classes on the Titanic, and the numbers saved, has been announced by Mr. Sydney Buxton (President of the Board of Trade): -


....................................................Number Aboard..................Saved.

First saloon.......................................144................................139
Second saloon....................................93..................................78
Third class.........................................179................................98


First saloon.......................................----................................All
Second saloon...................................----................................All
Third class........................................76..................................23


All classes........................................777................................126



The percentages of women and men saved were: -

Women..................................77 per cent.
Men.......................................19 per cent.

The statement shows that the total number of persons drowned was 1,491, made up as follows: -

Members of crew................................686
Male passengers................................651

NEW YORK, April 25.

The captain of the North German Lloyd Company's steamer Bremen which has arrived here, reports that his vessel passed the iceberg which the Titanic struck.
The passengers on the Bremen state that the spectacle in the water was a pitiable one.
The body of one woman clad in a nightdress and clasping a baby to her breast, was floating in the water. Another body was that of a fully dressed woman clutching a shaggy dog.
There were also the bodies of three men clinging to a steamer chair, and elsewhere were a dozen bodies, all with lifebelts on, locked together as though they had died in a struggle for life.
The Commercial Cable Company's steamer Mackay Bennett is conveying the bodies of 265 victims to Halifax (Nova Scotia).
Several passengers and members of the crew of the Canadian Pacific Railway Company's steamer Mount Temple, which has arrived at St. John (New Brunswick), allege that they saw the Titanic rockets and flare light, but that the Mount Temple continued on her course.
The officers of the steamer deny that any signals of distress were seen.

LONDON, April 25.

The steamer Rappanhannock (of Messrs. Furness, Withy and Co.'s fleet) from Halifax reports that she passed the Titanic on the night before the disaster.
The Rappanhannock's rudder was twisted and her bows dented in the icefield where the Titanic was lost.
The captain says that he is surprised that those on the Titanic failed to see the ice, as it was a clear night.

OTTAWA, April 26.

The Dominion Government has voted 2,000 pounds to the Titanic relief fund.


(Received 29, 9:15 a.m.)
LONDON, April 28.

The survivors of the Titanic arriving today, but will not be allowed to communicate with the public until the Board of Trade examination is finished.
Memorials are being promoted for the Titanic's band and for Mr. Phillips, the wireless operator.
The relief funds now total 300,000 pounds.
The Pannonia, from New York, reports passing many icebergs, some from 100 feet to 300 feet high.
The body of Mr. Millett has been identified.
Cunningham, a steward, says that Mr. Stead was the last passenger under his charge to take lifebelts.



Captain Moore, commander of the ship Mount Temple, examined, said he received the Titanic's signal when 49 miles off.
He hastened to the scene, but was compelled to slow down and eventually stop by the ice when fourteen miles distant. He saw fifty bergs in the Titanic's vicinity.
He believed the mysterious lights belonged to a tramp ship which the Mount Temple passed, and which did not respond to wireless.
Cunningham, a steward, said an order to call all passengers was not given until fifty minutes after the collision.


(Per Press Association.)
AUCKLAND, April 29.

Speaking at a crowded audience in the Opera House last night, Mr. Havelock Wilson, general president of the National British Seamens' and Firemens' Union, said he did not believe any blame or responsibility for the Titanic disaster rested on Mr. Ismay or his colleagues. The name of Ismay stood very high in the shipping trade and no more conscientious men were engaged in it. Whatever blame there was rested on the Board of Trade which allowed the existing state of things to continue despite suggestions from the Advisory Committee. He hoped the Commission, while seized with the importance of increased lifeboats, would not disregard to make better provision to keep a vessel afloat, and to make various suggestions for better provision against such disasters. The suggestions were embodied in a resolution and carried.
A collection in aid of sufferers in the Titanic disaster was taken up and realised 41 pounds.

Source: The Bay of Plenty Times, Monday April 29, 1912, Page 5

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Tragedy of the "Titanic"

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum