Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen

Links

Gallery

Binoculars Deemed Unnecessary

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Binoculars Deemed Unnecessary

Post by Karen on Thu 19 Apr 2012 - 22:12

BINOCULARS NOT NECESSARY.
Lord Mersey's Finding at the Titanic Inquiry.

DUFF-GORDON POINT.
The Captain of the Carpathia Publicly Thanked.

Captain Rostron, the captain of the Carpathia, which picked up all the survivors of the Titanic, was publicly thanked on behalf of the Government by Sir Rufus Isaacs at the inquiry on Friday.
"Will you allow me to express to you," said the Attorney-General, "how deeply grateful we are to you for your conduct, and for the large number of lives you were instrumental in saving? (Loud applause.)
This is the earliest opportunity the Government have had of getting into communication with you."
When the inquiry was resumed on Monday Mr. Marconi explained the system of wireless telegraphy, and said he was elaborating an invention for automatic warning with a bell.
Sir Ernest Shackleton said that in clear weather a berg 80ft. high could be seen ten or twelve miles away. He had seen many bergs that appeared to be black. This was due partly to their construction and partly to the earthy matter adhering. In the ice zone he always took the precaution of slowing down until the vessel had only steerage way.
Lord Mersey: Supposing you were going at twenty-one and three-quarters to twenty-two knots, it would be a better reason for slowing down? - You have no right to go at that speed in an ice zone. I was in a ship specially built for ice, and I took the precaution to slow down.
What was the speed of the boat you were in? - It was only six knots full speed.
Do you mean to say that you slowed down from six knots? - Yes.
Lord Mersey said on Wednesday he would like to know what liners were traversing the same region of sea as the Titanic about April 14, and at what speeds they were travelling.
"My reason is this," he added; "I shall have to consider at the proper time whether Captain Smith was guilty of negligence, or merely guilty of an error of judgment."
The question of binoculars for the look-out men being raised, Lord Mersey said: "My judgment is that binoculars are not desirable."

Captain of the Carpathia.

Captain Rostron said on Friday he had been twenty-seven years at sea.
At 12:35 (ship's time) on the fatal morning the Marconi operator ran into his cabin, and told him he had received an urgent distress signal from the Titanic that she had struck an iceberg and was sinking. He at once started for the position given. Ordinarily the speed of the Carpathia was about fourteen knots, but on that night they worked it up to 17-1/2 knots.
At four o'clock he stopped. A green light was seen, and one of the Titanic's boats was picked up after he had starboarded to avoid an iceberg right ahead. He could not say why the berg was not seen earlier. They had a double look-out, two men being at the stem head.
The Attorney-General said the actual number of persons saved and landed at New York was 711. The names of six passengers were not included in the Carpathia's list.
The captain said that several boats could have accommodated a good many more people, and two or three were rather crowded.
The Attorney-General observed, with regard to Sir Cosmo and Lady Duff-Gordon, that there was a suggestion at one time that a promise of money was made to the crew, so that the boat should not go back, but it was quite plain on the evidence that that did not take place.
Lord Mersey: I do not propose myself to make any reflections at all upon the conduct either of the gentleman or his wife. And my silence is not to be taken as any adverse reflection on him at all. I shall be silent simply because it has got nothing to do with what I have before me.
The inquiry was adjourned.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly News, June 23, 1912, Page 5

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top