Face of Winifred May Davies
Latest topics
» Why Jesus Is Not God
Mon 17 Apr 2017 - 0:09 by Karen

» The Fourth Reich
Fri 14 Apr 2017 - 14:14 by Karen

» Allah, The Real Serpent of the Garden
Tue 7 Mar 2017 - 11:45 by Karen

Sat 4 Mar 2017 - 12:06 by Karen

» Hillary Clinton (Hillroy Was Here)
Fri 28 Oct 2016 - 17:38 by Karen

» Alien on the Moon
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 21:57 by Karen

» Martian Nonsense Repeats Itself
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 18:43 by Karen

» Enlil and Enki
Fri 7 Oct 2016 - 17:11 by Karen

» Israel Shoots Down Drone - Peter Kucznir's Threat
Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 22:55 by Karen

» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen



Mr. Bruce Ismay Subpoenaed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mr. Bruce Ismay Subpoenaed

Post by Karen on Wed 18 Apr 2012 - 3:03




The full story of the horror and the heroism of the wreck of the Titanic is now known, and public attention is turning to the question of the cause of the catastrophe, and how a repetition of it may be prevented.
With all possible speed and thoroughness the United States Senate Committee is making its searching investigation into the destruction of the world's biggest ship, and already some startling facts have been brought out.
One of the principal officers said in evidence yesterday that though warned of the ice he did not fear it.
The speed of the Titanic was, according to the second officer, from 22-1/2 and 23 knots in waters where icebergs were numerous.
The precaution of doubling the look-out while the vessel was in the ice zone was not taken.
Echoes of the heroism displayed on the sinking liner were numerous throughout the inquiry.
Mr. Bruce Ismay, the chairman of the White Star Line, who has already given evidence at the inquiry, has been refused permission to return to England at present.
It is quite clear that the existing Board of Trade regulations for life-saving provision on liners are far from adequate.
[Full details and special stories and pictures of the wreck of the Titanic appear on Pages Five, Six, Seven, and Eight.]

Swam to Lifeboat with Infant on His Arm.

[From Our Special Correspondent.]
NEW YORK, Saturday.

Further details concerning the worst shipping disaster that ever occurred in the history of the passenger traffic of the world are coming out now that the survivors of the Titanic have somewhat recovered from their frightful experiences of the past week.
Many of them are resting in New York hotels while awaiting either the arrival of relatives and friends, or supplies of money and clothing, all of which were lost on the fated ship, and of these rescued people many are relating their experiences of the fearful night for the first time.
One of the bravest acts, perhaps, of the whole shipwreck was that performed by Captain Smith, the commander of the Titanic, after his vessel had gone down.
Mr. Charles Williams, the racquet coach of Harrow School, who was coming here to defend his title of world's champion, states that when the Titanic sank he jumped overboard, and, supported by a lifebelt which he had hastily donned in his cabin, floated about for a few minutes, but was ultimately picked up by one of the lifeboats.
He told me today that a moment after he was hauled into the boat Captain Smith swam up to it, supporting a baby on his left arm and swimming with his right. "Take the child," he gasped. "A dozen hands instantly reached forth," said Mr. Williams, "to grasp the baby, which was at once taken into the boat."
"We then tried to pull Captain Smith into the lifeboat, but he refused to come. "What became of Murdock?" asked the captain. (Murdock was the first officer.) Someone in the boat said, "He shot himself." Upon hearing this," said Mr. Williams, "the captain released his grasp of the gunwale, and slowly sank before our eyes."
It will never be known, probably, how many children, especially young babies, were on the gigantic liner, but it is a fact that there are eight or ten young children who have been saved whose parents have gone down with the ship, and who not only are orphans, but whose very names are unknown or in doubt.


The children have mostly been taken care of by the committee of New York ladies organised for the purpose of assisting the destitute among the survivors, one of whose leading spirits is Miss Eleanor Robson, the actress, who is well known to English playgoers.
She and her associates have done such charitable work with untiring zeal among the poor and forlorn that a ray of light has even dawned upon many of the poor women who have been made widows, and comforts have been organised for all of them.
The children have been put into a special ward of a foundling asylum, while Sisters of Mercy are caring for a few of extremely tender ages.
Two babies, however, will find that their lives have fallen into pleasanter lines when they are old enough to know, since Miss Margaret Hays, the nineteen-year-old daughter of the late president of the Grand Trunk Railway of Canada, is about to adopt them.
They came into Miss Hays' possession in a singular manner. She and her mother, Mrs. C.M. Hays, were put into one of the lifeboats, while her father stayed aboard the ship and lost his life with the rest of the men.
Just as the boat was about to pull away someone on one of the lower decks hurled two naked babies, aged four and two years, into the boat, and Miss Hays immediately took charge of them.
She had a large thick cape, in which she was carrying a pet dog which she had brought from Paris, and she wrapped the two babies up in the cape along with the dog for warmth. They passed the dreadful hours in the boat without taking any harm, thanks to the thoughtful care of Miss Hays, who, though in deep grief at her father's fate, found relief in assisting them.
The children are utterly unable to tell their names, except their Christian names, which they gave as Louis and Lolo. They are French, and Miss Hays declares that it was a Frenchman that tossed them into the boat, but what he said when he did this was lost in the noise of escaping steam and the cries from the deck. The children cannot tell even who their relatives are, and a canvass on board the Carpathia revealed nothing in relation to them. Miss Hays has decided to adopt the children, and will bring them up in Canada.
One of the stewards who was instrumental in getting the people away in the boats says that Mr. Benjamin Guggenheim, the New York banker, was offered a place in one of the lifeboats, but he refused, saying, "I will not go. No woman shall remain unsaved because I was a coward." Mr. Guggenheim gave this steward a message for his wife, which the man has now delivered.
He said to the steward, whose name is Etches, "If I don't turn up tell my wife that I have done the best I could." Mrs. Guggenheim has been overcome ever since she was informed at the White Star offices on Wednesday that there was no hope for the safety of her husband. Her husband's message, however, and the knowledge of his actual fate, have brought relief.
Mr. Caldwell, a second-cabin passenger, who leaped into the water just before the liner sank, says that he swam about for nearly an hour, and was frightfully depressed by the presence of a number of dead bodies about him, floating by means of lifebelts.
He was about to give up hope when he found himself near a crate, which was supporting another man. "Will it hold two?" I asked," said Mr. Caldwell. "The other man replied, "Catch on; we'll try. We will live or die together."
"We finally reached an overturned lifeboat, which had six seamen holding on to the bottom. When we had crawled on to the keel the boat in her capsized condition was carrying all she could manage. Presently a man came swimming along, and asked if we could take him on.
"The slightest additional weight meant death for all of us, so we told him that it was no use. "All right," cried the man, "Good-bye, God bless you all," and sank."


Miss Emily Richards says that the boat she was in rowed about for some hours in the corpse-strewn water, and five of the men in her boat were crazed at the sight of the bodies, and fell to gibbering and weeping in hysterical fashion.
"Several swimmers came alongside, and begged our aid, but our boat was then overcrowded, and when we could not take them aboard they attempted to clamber over the side, and nearly swamped us. The sailors of our crew beat them off with the oars to prevent their sinking us, and, stunned, they fell back into the sea and were drowned."
Mrs. Frank Fortune, a first-class passenger, who was travelling with her husband, daughter, and son, lost both her husband and her boy, but she was saved with her daughter. She told me how a man in the boat in which she was, saved himself by a trick.
"There were mostly women in our boat," said Mrs. Fortune, "but this man had by some means got a woman's skirt, which he had donned, and covered his head with a veil. No one being suspicious of him in this disguise, he was allowed to enter the boat as a woman.
"He was not discovered to be a man until we had got well away from the wreck, and then he refused to explain who he was, or how he had succeeded in escaping in this disguise.
"He was commanded by the sailor in charge of our boat to take an oar and help row, as we were undermanned. This person, however, refused to give his assistance until the sailor forced him to do so at the point of a pistol.
"He was forced to work his passage, but when we got aboard the Carpathia he was lost sight of, and no one knew who he was, nor would I know him again if I saw him."
Against this story of cowardice on the part of a man, comes the relation of an act of splendid heroism by a woman. The fact was told me by one of the lady passengers who witnessed the incident.


"We were about to put off in a lifeboat," she said, "every seat being taken, all by women. Miss Edith Evans, one of the first-cabin passengers, had taken her place in the boat, when she suddenly discovered that her aunt was left on the deck of the sinking liner.
"Miss Evans immediately got out of the boat, and insisted on giving up her place to her aunt. "I am not married," said she, and my loss makes no difference, but you have children, and you must go to them."
"With some difficulty she persuaded her aunt to take her place, and this brave woman, whose name ought to be remembered, remained on the vessel, and sank with her."
Next to the lost and orphaned babies perhaps the most pathetic feature of the whole disaster is the number of women who have been made widows because their husbands remained on the ship to give their places to the women.
It is now stated that there are nearly sixty widows, and that fifteen of them are young brides. Two of them, Mrs. John Jacob Astor and Mrs. Marvin, were returning from their honeymoons with their husbands. Mrs. Jacques Futrelle, the wife of the noted author, is also among the number of these desolated widows.
Today the Red Star liner, Lapland, which sailed for Dover and Antwerp, embarked 180 members of the ill-fated vessel's crew for their return to England. Twenty-two of the Titanic's people, including all of the officers who were saved, have been held here under subpoena to give evidence before the Senate investigating committee.
Mr. Bruce Ismay, the chairman of the White Star Line, who was taken aboard the Carpathia from one of the lifeboats, and who has been greatly shaken by his experiences, and is not at all well, begged the permission of Senator Smith, the chairman of the committee, to leave by the Lapland. His request was refused, for although he gave testimony in the preliminary examination yesterday, his further evidence is considered of such importance that he cannot be spared. He has been served with an additional subpoena, and I understand that he is being constantly shadowed by detectives, so that he shall not leave.


Several detectives under various disguises have mingled with the crew during their short stay for the purpose of overhearing their stories and drawing up a report for the investigators.
These detectives indicated to the committee the men whose tales concerning the disaster, the life-saving appliances on the ship, and the conduct of the ship's people at the time of the accident are needed for the investigation, and subpoenas were served upon them. They are among the twenty-two who are held.
The attention of the Carnegie Hero Commission will be called to the heroes on the Titanic, some of whom have been saved, but most of whom, unfortunately, have sunk in the ocean grave with the great liner. Suitable notice will be taken of those who have survived, and memorials will be inscribed to the dead.
The Titanic's survivors with great unanimity declare that Major Archibald Butt, who was President Taft's aide-de-camp, and was returning from an official mission to Rome, was responsible more than any other single person for getting the women and children into the lifeboats.
No one knows his actual end, but Dr. Washington Dodge believes that he saw Major Butt and Colonel Astor on the ship's bridge as the liner went down, and states that they died together on the sinking vessel. Both were heroes, and both had much to live for. Colonel Astor was an exceedingly wealthy man, with a young bride, and Major Butt was marked out for high promotion in his profession. He was also a great personal friend of President Taft.
As I am sending off the last of this message news comes of the happy reunion of the remnant of a little family, whose head perished in the wreck.


Among the immigrant women was Mrs. Anna Salkjelsock. She was travelling with her husband and their baby boy. Her sufferings at the time of the wreck and afterwards in the open boat unbalanced her mind, and when she was brought ashore from the Carpathia on Thursday night she was taken to one of the hospitals for treatment.
Today she recovered her mental health, and immediately asked, "Where is my boy?" No one could tell her, but she insisted that when she was parted from her husband on the deck of the Titanic she had her boy with her, and believed that the child must have been in the same boat.
She was told that there were several children at the foundling asylum who had not been identified, and an orderly and nurse from the hospital volunteered to take her there to see if she could discover, among these forlorn little waifs, her own child.
The expedition had the happiest result. No sooner had Mrs. Salkjelsock entered the ward where the foundlings from the Titanic were than she gave a great cry of joy, and rushed across the room to where they were playing. She seized a chubby little fellow of four, and clasping him to her breast, wept and gave utterance to incoherent cries of joy. The little boy was equally delighted, and clung to his mother's neck, kissing and fondling her.
It is thought that perhaps others among the children will be saved in the same way. The ladies of the relief committee have determined to organise a system by which all these children shall be submitted to the scrutiny of such survivors as are available.

Chief Officers Give Vivid Stories of Last Moments on Board.

NEW YORK, Saturday.

In his evidence before the Senate Committee which is investigating the loss of the Titanic, Mr. Lightholder, the second officer of the ship, said he was in the sea with a lifebelt on for an hour and a half.
"Where were you," he was asked, "when the Titanic sank?"
"In the officers' quarters," he replied.
"Were all the lifeboats gone?" - "All but one. Mr. Murdock (the first officer) was managing the tackle of it and trying to launch it."
"Did you see Mr. Ismay then?" - "No."
"When did you see him?" - "When he was uncovering the boats. He was standing on the boat deck."
"Was he fully dressed?" - "I can't say; it was dark."
"When you saw Mr. Ismay, twenty minutes after the collision, were other passengers near him?" - "I did not see anyone in particular, but there might have been."
Witness said that although ice had been reported, he was not anxious about it.
"You did not post an additional look-out?" - "No."
Mr. Lightholder added that Mr. Murdock relieved him at ten o'clock on Sunday evening. The weather was calm and clear, and stars on the horizon were observable. After the crash witness found Mr. Murdock and Captain Smith on the bridge. He last saw Captain Smith walking the bridge.
"What was the last order of Captain Smith?" - "Put the women and children into the boats and lower away."
"What did you do?" - "I obeyed the order."
Witness, replying to further questions, said that after the Titanic sank he clambered into a flat, collapsible boat, on to which, later, thirty other persons clambered. Among these was the first Marconi operator, who perished of cold. Several others also died of exposure.
"Did any others try to get on board?" - "We took all we could."
"Were not others in the water?" - "Not near, but half a mile off."
"How were the passengers selected to fill the boats?" - "By sex."
"Who determined who should go?" - "I did."
"How?" - "Whenever I saw a woman I put her in, except the stewardesses. I turned those back."
"Did any families go?" - "No. Numerous women would not go."
Mr. Lightholder said that 210 of the crew were saved.
"Why so many?" - "For every six persons picked up five were either firemen or stewards. After the Titanic sank some of the lifeboats returned, and picked up men."
Mr. Cottam, the Marconi operator on the Carpathia, told of receiving the Titanic's call, which was conveyed to Captain Rostron. The final wireless message sent by the Titanic said: -

Come quickly. The engine-room is filling up to the boilers.

Mr. Crawford, the bedroom steward on the Titanic, told of the fate of Mr. and Mrs. Straus. He said that Mrs. Straus put her maid into a boat and herself started to enter.
Then she walked up to her husband and said:

We have been living a number of years together. We are not going to separate now.

"Did you see any struggle on deck for lifeboats?" - "No; everybody was orderly."
Witness said he saw Mr. Ismay on the boat deck assisting Mr. Murdock to put women into a lifeboat. Mr. Ismay afterwards helped Mr. Murdock to lower the boat.
"Did you see Mr. Ismay enter any boat?" - "No, sir."
The investigation here concluded today.
Mr. Cottam, the wireless operator of the Carpathia, stated that after picking up the Titanic's boats the Carpathia at first made towards Halifax, but afterwards changed her course for New York.
He denied having sent any message stating that all the passengers were safe, or that the Titanic was in tow. Owing to the constant despatch of messages he had had less than ten hours' sleep in three days.
Mr. Bride, the assistant wireless operator on the Titanic, who was wheeled in in a chair, both feet having been injured in the course of his escape, was also called. - Reuter.

Last edited by Karen on Wed 18 Apr 2012 - 16:44; edited 1 time in total

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Bruce Ismay Subpoenaed

Post by Karen on Wed 18 Apr 2012 - 16:08


Describes Investigating Committee as "Brutally Unfair."

NEW YORK, Saturday.

Mr. Bruce Ismay, discussing the work of the investigating committee with interviewers, described it as "brutally unfair."
He said: "I cannot understand this inquiry. They are going at it in a manner that seems unjust, and the injustice lies the greatest upon me.
I cannot even protect myself by having any counsel to ask questions. Don't misunderstand me by thinking I mean questions calculated to upset witnesses. On the contrary, questions intended simply to evolve meanings."
Discussing his departure from the Titanic Mr. Ismay said: "I have searched my mind with the deepest care. I am sure I did nothing I should not have done.
"My conscience is clear. I took a chance to escape when it came to me. I did not seek it. Every woman and child had been cared for before I left the boat; and more, all the men within reach had been cared for before I took my turn.
"It is true I am president of the company, but I don't consider myself any different from the rest of the passengers. I took no other man's place." - Reuter.

NEW YORK, Saturday.

The seriousness of the Senatorial investigation into the loss of the Titanic was disclosed yesterday evening, when Senator Smith at first flatly refused to permit any of the officers or crew of the Titanic to sail on the Red Star liner Lapland in spite of the protests of Mr. Burlingham, counsel for the White Star Line.
Later, as the result of a conference, it was decided to permit all but twelve of the crew, and the four rescued officers to depart, but not to allow Mr. Bruce Ismay to leave for England, in spite of the latter's desire to return immediately.
Mr. Smith, the chairman of the Committee of Inquiry, said this morning that it was the intention of the committee to summon Mr. Ismay again, for the purpose of clearing up several points that now appear to be in dispute between the witnesses.
Although Mr. Ismay urged that he should be allowed to go for the present, pleading that he was on the verge of a collapse, his request was not granted. - Reuter.


In the Senate yesterday Mr. Rayner made a violent speech attacking Mr. Bruce Ismay in connection with the Titanic disaster.
He expressed the opinion that legal steps should be taken against the officials of the White Star Line on the ground that the Titanic was not equipped with efficient life-saving apparatus. - Reuter.

Provided With Clothing and Money by the Public of New York.

NEW YORK, Saturday.

Happy were the members of the Titanic's surviving crew on board the Lapland, who sailed this morning.
Generous merchants and others had fitted them out with clothes, hats, brushes, razors, and numerous other things for use, together with sums of money for their immediate needs.
Other sums will be sent later by the relief committee.
The Lapland had on board 182 men and twenty women belonging to the crew. - Reuter.

The cable ship Mackay-Bennett, which has been chartered by the White Star Company, left Halifax (N.S.) on Wednesday for Cape Race. In the hope that some bodies may be picked up coffins are being taken, and several undertakers and embalmers are on the ship. Colonel Astor's son is chartering a steamer to search for his father's body. It is thought the Leyland Liner Californian may have some of the dead on board.
Mr. Vincent Astor, the son of Mr. J.J. Astor, who went down with the Titanic, has contributed $10,000 to the relief fund opened by the Mayor of New York. - Reuter.

Mr. Gibson Bowles's Strong Views on the Cause of Disaster.

Mr. T. Gibson Bowles, who is one of our foremost authorities on matters pertaining to the sea, discussed, in an interview with a representative of "Lloyd's News" last evening, the loss of the Titanic, in the light of the facts as they are now known.
"What is quite clear," he said, "is that this ship was being navigated at a wrong speed on a wrong course. It is known to everybody, from the sailing directions, that this is the time when you must expect loose icebergs in those regions on that course. It seems to be clear that it was especially known to those in charge of the ship that there were, in fact, loose icebergs in the direction for which they were heading.
"At the time of the disaster the difficulty of detecting the berg should have been all the greater because it was night - a clear night, indeed, but still night - which dictated not only a keener look-out, but, what is far more important, a slower speed.
"In my opinion, the ship never ought to have been on that course at all. At this time of year, with the special danger from icebergs, her course should have been more southerly.
"But there remains the question of what is to be done when, in spite of seamanlike precautions, a serious and unexpected danger arises. The danger the seaman fears is not the land, but fog.
"Such accidents as collisions either with other vessels or with icebergs may come, and it is in order to provide for this that what are called life-saving appliances are provided. Now, it has pleased a foolish legislature to confide the regulation of the number and kind of these appliances to a still more foolish Department called the Board of Trade. This Department has not understood its duty, and have made regulations, in reliance upon the wisdom of which captains, crews, and passengers have acquired a confidence not warranted by the facts.
"The Board has frittered away its action in boiler regulations, language regulations, food regulations, and load-line regulations founded upon the unseamanlike delusion that the higher a ship is out of the water the safer she must be. It has not addressed itself adequately even to the water-tight compartment question.
"Very few water-tight bulkheads will stand a real pressure of water upon them unless there is time to shore them up from behind. Moreover, instead of running right through the ship from her bottom to her deck, many such bulkheads end half way up, or even lower.
"To some extent, indeed, they are useful. When a vessel runs into something end on she may be, and, indeed, often has been, saved by her water-tight bulkheads. But no bulkheads, however numerous, could have saved the Titanic, if, as we are now told, she scraped along a rough, underlying iceberg ledge, which ripped her up for a considerable portion of her length, and thus destroyed the water-tightness of her bulkheads.
"I believe that if a ship is to be of practical use it would be impossible so to build her as to make her quite unsinkable when such an accident happened to her as occurred with the Titanic."

U.S. Government Acts Hurriedly After Reading Private Message.

NEW YORK, Saturday.

The hurried departure of Mr. Smith, the chairman of the Senate Committee, for New York, on Thursday, to begin the inquiry, was explained today when it became known that the wireless message sent by Mr. Ismay to Mr. Franklin, asking for the sailing of the Cedric to be delayed, so that she could take Mr. Ismay and the survivors of the Titanic's crew on board, was intercepted by the Government officials, and sent to Washington.
Mr. Smith is quoted as saying that he had understood in Washington that such messages had been exchanged, and that that was one of the reasons why the investigation was started without loss of time.
Mr. Bruce Ismay and other White Star officials have been subpoenaed by the Senate Committee to appear in Washington on Monday morning. - Reuter.

65,000 Pound Relief Fund.
Splendid Response to Lord Mayor of London's Appeal.

The latest figures issued last night show that the Mansion House Fund (referred to in full on Page Sixteen) has reached nearly 65,000 pounds. The latest subscriptions include 500 pounds each from the Gaekwar of Baroda, Messrs. John Brown and Co., and Messrs. W.P. Bonbright and Co.
Among the special theatre benefit performances already arranged or suggested by generous managers are the following: -

Royalty Theatre: Matinee of "Milestones," May 1.
Little Theatre: Matinee of "Buddha," tomorrow.
Savoy Theatre: Matinee of "The Military Girl," on Saturday; children's performance on May 18.
Royal Opera, Covent Garden; Dramatic and operatic performance, May 14.
London Opera House: Matinee performance, to be arranged.
Alhambra: Matinee tomorrow
London Hippodrome: Special matinee, to be arranged.
Britannia, Hoxton: Matinee on Thursday.

Mr. Imre Kiralfy has offered the use of the Stadium for a football match between First League teams.
Within an hour of the decision to open a relief fund at Belfast, over 6,000 pounds was subscribed yesterday. Lord and Lady Pirrie contributed 2,000 guineas, Messrs. Harland and Woolf, the builders of the vessel, 1,000 guineas, and Lord Londonderry 100 guineas.
Nearly 1,500 pounds was raised among the passengers on board the Olympic, which arrived yesterday at Plymouth, for the relief of sufferers through the loss of the Titanic.
The Prince of Wales yesterday sent 250 guineas to the Lord Mayor's Relief Fund.
The Mayor of Southampton's fund last night reached 9,924 pounds.
A sum of 100 pounds has been contributed by the crew of the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company's tourist cruising Steamer Arcadian to the Titanic Relief Fund.
An appeal to the seamen of the world to give two days' pay each for the relatives of sailors, firemen, cooks, and stewards of the Titanic has been issued by Mr. Havelock Wilson, president of the National Sailors' and Firemen's Union. Mr. Wilson has contributed 10 pounds.

Man Drowned, But Woman Saved While Journeying "To Start New Life."

The tragedy of an eloping couple who were "going to start a new life" in America, and were travelling on board the Titanic, is reported from Worcester.
About six weeks ago it became known that a local confectioner owing several businesses had disposed of some of them, and that contemporaneously with his departure from the city one of his lady assistants was lost sight of.
Telegrams received since the disaster reveal the fact that the couple, intending to start a new life together, sailed in the Titanic, and that while the man was drowned the girl, who is about twenty years of age, was saved.
It is stated that the man made provision for his wife and family before leaving England.

Orders Now Issued by Mr. Ismay to All Lines Under Company's Control.

NEW YORK, Saturday.

Mr. Ismay announces that he has given instructions to all lines under the control of the International Mercantile Marine Company to equip all steamers with sufficient lifeboats and rafts to carry all the passengers and crew without regard to the regulations prescribed by the Government of any nation. - Reuter.


Record Speed to Rescue.

Arriving yesterday at Plymouth, the White Star liner Olympic reported that on hearing the Titanic's wireless call for assistance she covered 400 miles at twenty-four knots, the highest speed the liner has ever attained.

Birkenhead Spirit Still Alive.

Before the Titanic left Belfast, Captain Smith was asked if old seamen's courage and fearlessness in face of death still existed. He declared if any disaster like that to the Birkenhead happened they would go down as those men went down.

One of the Saved.

After being thrice reported missing, George Rowe, a quartermaster belonging to Gosport, has been identified in a corrected list of the saved. His name was first sent as Lowe, and his rank misdescribed. He belonged to the Oceanic, but signed on for the Titanic because the Oceanic was laid up.

Millionaire's Last Message.

"If anything happens to me tell my wife I have done my best in doing my duty" were the last words spoken by Mr. Guggenheim, the New York millionaire, as he stood awaiting his fate on the deck of the sinking Titanic. The message, says Reuter, has been conveyed by a steward to Mrs. Guggenheim.

Long Wait For News.

A young woman, whose husband, brother, and cousin were among the passengers, was one of the four people who waited wearily throughout Friday night in the West End offices of the White Star Line. Since the news of the disaster reached London she has only left the offices for brief intervals. Her cousin was the now famous Marconi operator.

Chinese Stowaways Crushed.

Six Chinese, who had hidden beneath the seats of the Titanic's lifeboats, are among the survivors, says Reuter. They were not detected until the boats had been taken on board the Carpathia. Two of their companions, who were also in hiding, were crushed to death by the weight of the other passengers sitting above them.

Jewelled Book Lost.

The copy of Fitzgerald's translation of Omar Khayyam, with Eliku Vedder's beautiful illustrations, famous as, "the most remarkable specimen of binding ever produced," has gone down in the Titanic. Less than a month ago it realised 405 pounds at auction, where it found an American purchaser. The binding took two years to execute, and the decoration embodied no fewer than 1,500 precious stones, each separately set in gold.

Navy's Memorial Services.

Orders have been issued that Divine service on board H.M. ships in Home ports today is also to be a memorial service for those who lost their lives in the foundering of the Titanic. During the service flags in H.M. ships will be half-masted as a mark of respect to the memory of the officers and men of all ranks and ratings of the British Mercantile Marine and others who were drowned and to their good and seamanlike behaviour after the accident had occurred.

Tragedy of Misapprehension.

Thinking that her sweetheart was a sailor on the Titanic, Ada Haste, a girl of twenty, of Newport, Mon., threw herself under an express at Newport, and was badly injured. Her sweetheart's name, Milliton, appeared in the list of drowned. Yesterday it was discovered that the dead seaman was another man of the same name.


Source: Lloyd's Weekly News, April 21, 1912, Page 2

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Bruce Ismay Subpoenaed

Post by Karen on Wed 18 Apr 2012 - 18:26

A photo of Mr. Bruce Ismay upon his return to England:


Source: Lloyd's Weekly News, May 12, 1912, Page 3

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Bruce Ismay Subpoenaed

Post by Karen on Thu 19 Apr 2012 - 20:05

"Took the Last Lifeboat That Pulled Away."


The committee appointed by the United States Senate to investigate the disaster to the Titanic held its first session on Friday.
Senator William Smith, of Michigan, was the presiding officer of the committee. Mr. Ismay was the first witness. He testified that no passengers were in sight on the decks when he entered the lifeboat that took him from the Titanic. He declared that he did not see what happened to the lifeboats, and that he did not look back after leaving the Titanic, and, therefore, could not state whether or not she broke in two, as many reports allege.
He also stated that he did not look to see whether there was a panic on board. "After I left the bridge," said Mr. Ismay, "I never saw Captain Smith again. I saw nothing of any explosion, nor did I witness any confusion or struggling. I was unable to recognize any of the passengers on the Titanic as she sank."
When asked to state the circumstances in which he left the Titanic Mr. Bruce Ismay replied, almost in a whisper: "One of the boats was being filled, and the officers called out to know if there were any more women to go. There were none, and no passengers were on the deck. As the boat was being lowered I got into it."
Asked in which boat in order of leaving he made his escape. Mr. Ismay said, "I took the last lifeboat that pulled out."
Senator Smith asked: "Were all the women and children on the Titanic saved?" Mr. Ismay flushed at the question, and replied, in a low tone, "I fear not."
Mr. Ismay testified that there were twenty lifeboats, sixteen wooden ones and four of the collapsible type.
"It is reported that two were engulfed. Do you know about that?" asked a member of the committee.
"No," was the emphatic reply.
"Did you see the Titanic go down?" - "No. I was sitting with my back to her. I did not care to see her sink."
Mr. Ismay said that he had no knowledge of an explosion, and stated that he had been told that the point of collision was somewhere between the breakwater and the bridge. Asked further about the speed at the time of the collision, he said, "Twenty-one knots." He also said that he did not see any ice until the daylight following the collision.
"When I entered the lifeboat I wore pyjamas, a pair of slippers, a suit of clothes, and an overcoat. I know nothing, except those in the boat with me, except a passenger named Carter. The rest were steerage passengers. There were four of the ship's crew, one quartermaster, and forty-five passengers in the boat with me."
Captain Rostron, of the Carpathia, was called, and testified that the Titanic was following the safest course across the Atlantic for the season of the year. He stated that three of the boats which he picked up were rowed by women.

Dismal Record of the Toll of the Sea Since 1878.

Following is a list of some of the principal disasters at sea within recent years: -


Among more recent disasters were the wreck of the P. and O. liner Delhi in December of last year, and the sinking of the P. and O. liner Oceana off Beachy Head on March 16 last after collision with the German barque Pisagua. In the latter disaster ten lives were lost.


The flags on Australian public buildings and shipping were on Friday flying at half-mast as a sign of mourning for the Titanic disaster.
Lord Denman, the Governor-General, has cabled, on behalf of Australia, his sympathy with the sufferers.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly News, April 21, 1912, Page 7

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Bruce Ismay Subpoenaed

Post by Karen on Fri 20 Apr 2012 - 23:53

His Story of Ice Warning Received by Titanic.

Remarkable Evidence by Clerk of Restaurant Staff.

Mr. Bruce Ismay, chairman of the White Star Company, and probably the most discussed survivor of the Titanic disaster, appeared at the official inquiry at Westminster on Tuesday to give evidence.
In reply to Sir Rufus Isaacs he and he Oceanic Company was held by the American Trust, which controlled five British companies and two American companies.
Asked why these ships were registered as a British line, Mr. Ismay replied: "To be registered in America they must be built in the country." The total cost of the Titanic, he said, was a million and a half sterling.
You were not on the ship as an ordinary passenger? - So far as the navigation of the ship was concerned I was. I looked upon myself simply as an ordinary passenger.
The President: Did you pay your fare? - No, I did not.
Mr. Ismay said that on Sunday, just before lunch-time, Captain Smith handed him a marconigram of the ice report received from the liner Baltic. He glanced casually at the message and put it in his pocket. He attached no special importance to the message and he did not understand that the ice reported was in the ship's track. The message was shown him by the captain as a matter of information.
You knew you would be approaching ice that night, and, therefore, it behoved those responsible for the navigation of the ship to be very careful? - Naturally.
More particularly if you were approaching ice in the night it would be desirable to slow down?
Whilst giving his reply Mr. Ismay was asked by the president rather impatiently to "answer the question."

"Be Frank."

The Attorney-General: Be frank with us.
Sir R. Finlay (for the White Star Company): Why say that?
The Attorney-General: Because I do not think he is.
Sir Robert Finlay protested.
Mr. Ismay replied: I say that a captain, if his men can see far enough to avoid ice, is perfectly justified in going at full speed.
After the collision he rendered all the assistance he could in getting the women and children in. He saw no confusion and no attempt by men to force their way into the boats.
Were there a number of women and children on the boat deck? - There were, but all the women I saw got away in the boats.
Did you realise that there were more women on the ship? - I did not.
Mr. Scanlan (for the Sailors' and Firemen's Union) asked in reference to Mr. Ismay's interview with the chief engineer at Queenstown: What right had you as an "ordinary passenger" to decide the speed at which the ship was to go without consultation with the captain?
The President (interrupting): I can answer that - none. The captain is the man who decides all those things. Mr. Ismay has no right to dictate as to speed.
Mr. Scanlan: As a "super-captain"?
Lord Mersey: What is a super-captain?
On Wednesday Mr. Bruce Ismay re-entered the witness-box and denied interfering at any time with the navigation of vessels crossing the Atlantic.
On the question of binoculars for look-out men, Mr. Ismay said there was considerable difference of opinion among commanders. His company, therefore, left the matter to the discretion of their commanders.
On the resumption of the inquiry on Thursday Mr. Harold Sanderson, a director of the White Star Line, expressed his opinion in evidence that it would be dangerous to have lifeboats for all, even if it was possible. To have put sixty boats on the Titanic would have been ridiculous, and would certainly have made the ship "tender." Such a number of boats would so congest the boat deck as to make it useless.
Mr. Sanderson thought searchlights would be worse than useless. They would be a positive source of danger. The worst thing possible for a look-out man was a glare of light.

Startling Allegations.

Giving evidence on Friday a restaurant clerk named Paul Mauge alleged that the restaurant staff were prevented from reaching the second class deck by some stewards, and thus lost their lives. Some two or three stewards barred the way of about sixty of the restaurant staff.
Describing how he got into one of the lifeboats the witness said he leaped into the boat while it was being lowered. It had stopped between two decks, and he jumped eight or ten feet.
The Attorney-General: The chef did not get in? - No. I asked the chef many times to jump, but the chef he was too fat, I might say. Another man on the Titanic tried to pull me off and take my seat in the boat.
The inquiry was adjourned to Monday.


Arising out of the loss of the Titanic a number of applications under the Workmen's Compensation Act were made at Southampton County Court on Tuesday.
The owners of the vessel in each case admitted liability, and the amounts awarded varied from 200 pounds to 300 pounds.


Captain Rostron, the commander of the Cunard liner Carpathia, which saved the Titanic survivors, has been presented in New York with a purse of 2,000 pounds, which had been raised by Mr. Hearst's "New York American" by popular subscription.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly News, June 9, 1912, Page 9

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Bruce Ismay Subpoenaed

Post by Karen on Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 15:03

Here is Mr. Bruce Ismay, whose census information for 1881 I managed to locate last night. He was listed as a shipowner's apprentice and his father a justice of the peace and shipowner:

1881 census - household transcription

Person: ISMAY, Joseph Bruce
Address: 13, Beach Lawn, Great Crosby

ISMAY, Thomas Hy Head Married M 44 1837 Justice Of The Peace Shipowner
Maryport, Cumberland
ISMAY, Margaret Wife Married F 43 1838
Northumberland, Northumberland
ISMAY, Joseph Bruce Son Single M 18 1863 Shipowners Apprentice
Gt Crosby, Lancashire

ISMAY, Ethel Sealby Daughter Single F 10 1871 Scholar
Waterloo, Lancashire
ISMAY, Ada Daughter Single F 9 1872 Scholar
Waterloo, Lancashire
ISMAY, Dora Daughter Single F 9 1872 Scholar
Waterloo, Lancashire
ISMAY, Charles B Son Single M 7 1874 Scholar
Waterloo, Lancashire
ISMAY, Charlotte Daughter Single F 7 1874 Scholar
Waterloo, Lancashire
ARMSTRONG, Elizabeth Governess Single F 33 1848 Governess
Liverpool, Lancashire
WILSON, William Servant Single M 27 1854 Butler (Dom Serv)
Litherland, Lancashire
BRYERS, Alfred Servant Single M 13 1868 Page
Thurstaston, Cheshire
WISE, Elizth Jane Servant Single F 38 1843 Cook
Lpool, Lancashire
CROSS, Elizth Anne Servant Single F 21 1860 Kitchen Maid
Chester, Cheshire
GREGORY, Margt Servant Single F 44 1837 Nurse
Hulme, Lancashire
DORNING, Lydia A Servant Single F 23 1858 Nurse
Bolton, Lancashire
PEAKER, Jane Servant Single F 30 1851 Ladys Maid Dom Ser
Halifax, Yorkshire
JONES, Annie Servant Single F 28 1853 House Maid Dom Ser
Poulton, Cheshire
BAILEY, Annie Servant Single F 27 1854 House Maid Dom Ser
Carlisle, Cumberland
Piece: 3695
Folio: 78
Page: 9
Registration District: West Derby

Civil Parish: Great Crosby
Municipal Borough:
Address: 13, Beach Lawn, Great Crosby
County: Lancashire

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Bruce Ismay Subpoenaed

Post by Karen on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 0:38

Most Significant Testimony Whether Record was Being Attempted.

NEW YORK, Saturday.

Senator Smith today questioned Fred Barrett, the chief fireman of the Titanic, who is now employed on the Olympic.
Barrett explained that at the time of the collision all but five of the twenty-four boilers were lighted, three having been lighted the morning before.
Mr. Smith later said that this testimony was the most significant yet obtained on the question as to whether or not the Titanic was trying to make a record. - Reuter.

Thomas Jones, a native of Anglesey, who was in charge of No. 8 boat after the disaster, yesterday received the following letter, written from the Great Northern Hotel, New York, from Miss Gladys Cherry, a cousin of Lady Rothes: -

Tom Jones, -

I feel I must write and tell you how splendidly you took charge of our boat on that fatal night. There were only four English people in it - my cousin, Lady Rothes, her maid, you, and myself - and I think you were wonderful.
The dreadful regret I shall always have, and I know you share with me, is that we ought to have gone back to see whom we could pick up, but, if you remember, there was only an American lady, my cousin, self, and you that wanted to return. I could not hear the discussion very clearly, as I was at the tiller, but everyone forward, and the three men, refused; but I shall always remember your words, "Ladies, if any of us are saved, remember I wanted to go back. I would rather drown with them than leave them." You did all you could, and, being my own countryman, I wanted to tell you this.

- Yours very truly, GLADYS CHERRY.

"I would not part with that letter for a thousand pounds," said Mr. Jones, as he put it back into his pocket, after showing it to a Pressman. He is to give evidence before the inquiry in London.
A Reuter message from Washington states that the report of the Titanic Investigating Committee of the United States Senate, to be presented on Tuesday, will not criticise Mr. Bruce Ismay to the extent expected in some quarters, but will merely use excerpts from his own testimony, entirely ignoring the statements outside the record. With the report Senator Smith intends to present a Bill embodying the reforms he believes necessary to prevent a recurrence of such a disaster.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly News, May 26, 1912, Page 2

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Bruce Ismay Subpoenaed

Post by Karen on Sun 22 Apr 2012 - 0:41

Mr. Bruce Ismay states that the new White Star liner will not be named the Gigantic.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly News, May 19, 1912, Page 4

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Bruce Ismay Subpoenaed

Post by Karen on Mon 30 Apr 2012 - 6:53

Original Design for Four Boats on Each Davit.

Lord Mersey's Remark in Regard to Californian.

The Titanic inquiry is drawing to a close now, and Lord Mersey stated on Friday that he would sit on the morrow to hasten the end of the proceedings, Sir Rufus Isaacs raising no objection to this course.
Mr. Alexander Carlisle, formerly general manager of Messrs. Harland and Wolff, who built the Titanic, stated at the official inquiry on Monday that originally he prepared plans for the instalment of four boats on each davit and other plans for two boats on each davit. Neither was utilised, as the Board of Trade did not require increased accommodation.
In October, 1909, Mr. Ismay, Mr. Sanderson, Lord Pirrie, and himself spent four hours in discussing the plans. The discussion about the lifeboats occupied five or ten minutes.
Replying to Lord Mersey, witness said that he was not responsible for saying how many lifeboats there should be.
Lord Mersey said that it seemed a grudging denial of responsibility.
"The owners are the right people to decide," said witness.
He admitted that although he thought the number of boats on the Titanic and Olympic was insufficient, he signed the report of the advisory committee who advised the Board of Trade in 1911.
Sir Rufus Isaacs: Why did you sign the report? - I do not know. I am not generally soft. I must say I was very soft in signing that. (Laughter.)
He added that he believed a Labour M.P. - Mr. Havelock Wilson - also signed the report. "He was also soft."
Captain Bertram Hayes, of the White Star Line, said on Tuesday that he had received innumerable ice reports by wireless telegraphy, and used to take precautions according to the weather. It was the general practice not to relax speed in clear weather. He had gone full speed in between icebergs when they had been scattered about.
In the course of the examination of Sir W. Howell on Thursday Lord Mersey said he had no doubt that the Californian did see distress signals, that they were signals from the Titanic, and that the Californian ought to have made efforts to get to the Titanic.
Sir Alfred Chalmers, formerly professional member of the Marine Department of the Board of Trade, said that the Germans encumbered their vessels with boats to an extent that would be disastrous in case of accidents.
Mr. Clem Edwards: Has this disaster led you to think that any of the Board of Trade regulations should be modified? - No.
Sir Rufus Isaacs stated on Friday that he thought the Californian incident should be specifically included in the terms of reference, to enable his lordship to express an opinion.
As far as the Duff-Gordons were concerned, no further comment or criticism would be made, their evidence being taken solely in reference to the conduct of the man in charge of that particular lifeboat. The same applied to Mr. Ismay's conduct in leaving the Titanic.
The President: After all, the question of the conduct of Mr. Ismay is only material to the extent to which it may be said to have improperly influenced the captain.
The inquiry was adjourned.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly News, June 16, 1912, Page 8

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Bruce Ismay Subpoenaed

Post by Karen on Fri 11 May 2012 - 19:53


New York, May 1.

The town of Ismay, Iowa, is taking steps to alter its name in consequence of the criticisms addressed to the head of the White Star Line in connection with the Titanic inquiry. The inhabitants are contemplating re-naming the town Buttastor or Strauss.


Washington, May 1.

Senator Smith, at the Titanic inquiry, apologised to Mr. Lowe for his reference to the latter's sobriety. He added he did not intend to cast any reflection, and his use of the word intemperate had been interpreted to refer to habits instead of temper.


Halifax, May 1.

Ten thousand sterling has been found on various bodies recovered from the wreck of the Titanic.


London, May 1.

The "Daily Chronicle" is organising a special fund for a memorial for the Titanic's engineers, and also for the benefit of the orphans.


(Received May 2, 11:25 p.m.)
London, May 2.

The Titanic relief fund totals 322,000 pounds sterling, including a women's fund of 42,000 pounds.


(Received May 3, 12:55 a.m.)
Washington, May 2.

Senator Works, of California, protested in the Senate against Senator Smith's investigation of the Titanic disaster. The ship was manned by British subjects, who were answerable to British law. What the Senate ought to know could be ascertained in a few hours.

Source: The Colonist, Nelson New Zealand, Friday May 3, 1912, Page 5

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Bruce Ismay Subpoenaed

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum