Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Sketches Around the Crime Scenes

Post by Karen on Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 13:49

THE WHITECHAPEL MURDERS.
DESCRIPTION OF THE SCENE OF THE HORRIBLE CRIMES - WILL THE FIEND ESCAPE?

[From a Graphic Correspondent.]

LONDON, October 21. - Imagine the Five Points in New York in the days, before business hours began to creep in there and when it was as much as a man's life was worth to go through there at night, and you will have a pretty fair idea of what Whitechapel is like. I have just come back to my hotel after visiting Whitechapel for the first time.
The series of atrocious murders which are now fixing the eyes of civilization upon this section of London would have been impossible in New York or in Paris, or in almost any other large city. But after you have been to Whitechapel you will not wonder that the maniac murderer stalks abroad though the whole police force of London is looking for him, for a more intricate, bewildering, circuitous and complex ramification of streets does not exist anywhere. Not only that, but the houses are built in all sorts of fantastic shapes and the blocks are of every size and shape, with all sorts of blind alleys and holes in the wall where a murderer could disappear in an instant, and, were he familiar with the ground absolutely beyond the reach of any detection, but such as the London police have sought to secure by the use of bloodhounds.
I knew that Whitechapel - which the people there pronounce Witchipel and Whychipel - was the resort of the criminal and degraded elements of the community, and putting on the oldest suit of clothes I could find, with a grey flannel shirt and a soft black felt hat bought in Chicago, I sallied forth with a short stout stick in one hand and the other fondling a loaded revolver, which reposed in the left hand pocket of my short pistol coat.
When once in the Whitechapel district it was easy to see that something unusual had happened. The population was aroused to a high pitch of excitement. Large numbers of outriders were there, strange policemen, detectives innumerable, both professional and amateur, club men who had come down in cabs, and curiosity seekers of all kinds and conditions. It was two days after the body of the sixth victim had been found in Mitre Square and nobody knew what was going to happen next. The police were confident that they would catch the murderer, having a real blind faith in their powers entertained by nobody else. The populace jeer at them and have no faith in anything but rewards.
Since the Mitre Square murder the police have adopted bloodhounds, and have thereby made themselves still more ridiculous, as the spectacle has been presented of the officers chased by their own dogs. The trials of the bloodhounds at Hyde Park and in Epping Forest were partially successful, but people familiar with the limitations of the bloodhounds scout the idea that they will be of any use in London streets.
I have been waiting for another murder to occur before sending these pictures over to you, so as to bring them as nearly up to date as possible, and the portrait of the murderer I have been expecting to add for some time as a result of his capture. Neither of these events has come to pass as yet. C.W.F.

Source: The New York Daily Graphic, Tuesday October 30, 1888, Page 955

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Sketches Around the Crime Scenes

Post by Karen on Fri 6 Apr 2012 - 15:40

[img][/img]

Source: The New York Daily Graphic, Wednesday January 23, 1889, Page 609