Books




Face of Winifred May Davies
Latest topics
» Why Jesus Is Not God
Mon 17 Apr 2017 - 0:09 by Karen

» The Fourth Reich
Fri 14 Apr 2017 - 14:14 by Karen

» Allah, The Real Serpent of the Garden
Tue 7 Mar 2017 - 11:45 by Karen

» THE INNOCENCE OF JEWS
Sat 4 Mar 2017 - 12:06 by Karen

» Hillary Clinton (Hillroy Was Here)
Fri 28 Oct 2016 - 17:38 by Karen

» Alien on the Moon
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 21:57 by Karen

» Martian Nonsense Repeats Itself
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 18:43 by Karen

» Enlil and Enki
Fri 7 Oct 2016 - 17:11 by Karen

» Israel Shoots Down Drone - Peter Kucznir's Threat
Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 22:55 by Karen

» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen

Links












Gallery



Disaster at a Wedding Party

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Disaster at a Wedding Party

Post by Karen on Tue 19 Jul 2011 - 16:45

EXCITING SCENE AT A WEDDING PARTY.

At the Metropolitan Hospital on Wednesday, Dr. Roderick Macdonald, M.P., held an inquest respecting the death of Thomas Newing, aged 50, a litho' printer, lately residing at 24, Buckland-road, New North-road. Mary Ann Newing, the widow, stated that on the 5th inst. witness and the deceased were at a wedding party at 25, Alma-street, Hoxton. Preparations were being made for a dance, and the deceased and a Mrs. Bond rose up at the same time, and by some means a table on which a paraffin lamp stood was overturned, with the result that the lamp exploded, and in an instant the whole room was in flames. Witness with difficulty made her escape, but not before her clothing had been burnt. The deceased, however, was severely burned before he could be rescued. Charles Elledge, the proprietor of the Alma Tavern, stated that he was one of the guests at the party, and was about to play the piano for the dancers when the lamp exploded. The burning oil ran all over the carpet and set fire to the curtains. With difficulty witness rescued the deceased and Mrs. Bond, and in so doing sustained a severe burn on the right hand. Mrs. Bond and the deceased were both badly burned, and had to be removed to the hospital. Mrs. Bond was now progressing favourably under the care of a doctor at her own home. Witness was of opinion that the lamp was overturned by the deceased, who was blind in one eye. The Fire Brigade had to be called, and the fire was soon extinguished. Dr. Charles Marshall, house surgeon, stated that death, which ensued on Saturday last, was due to exhaustion from the severe burns, and kidney disease. The jury returned a verdict of accidental death.

Source: The Hackney Express and Shoreditch Observer, April 23, 1892, Page 3

***************************************
Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
avatar
Karen
Admin

Posts : 4907

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum