JTR Writes to the Earl of Sheffield

View previous topic View next topic Go down

JTR Writes to the Earl of Sheffield

Post by Karen on Wed 29 Jun 2011 - 8:17

ENGLISH MAIL NEWS.
[PER S.S. CORIC.]

THE MYSTERIOUS MURDERS.
LONDON, Nov. 3.

Considerable excitement has been created in Kensington owing to the discovery of two knives, one bearing stains of blood, in the front garden of a house in Harrington-gardens. The discovery has remained for some time a secret with the police, and has now only become known by mere accident. It appears that on the night of Sunday, October 21, the policeman on duty observed something bright close to some shrubs in the garden, and upon entering to satisfy his curiosity discovered a sheath containing two huge knives, which are stated to be Ghoorka knives.
A medical examination has been made, and it is asserted that blood-stains undoubtedly exist on one of the knives and upon the sheath. These stains are probably a month old, but certainly not more than six weeks or two months. The knives are of the best manufacture, and as sharp as razors. Much alarm prevails in the district, as the theory spread abroad in that the Whitechapel murderer may be in hiding in the neighbourhood, or that a murder was intended there, but that the would-be assassin was interrupted, and flung the knives over the railings to avoid discovery.
Some suspicion is said to rest upon a clerical looking person, for whom the police are now searching, and of whom strange things are rumoured.
No further arrest has been made in connection with the Whitechapel murders. The police authorities do not attach any importance to the statements attributed to Matthew Packer, the fruiterer, who says he sold grapes to the deceased woman Stride on the night of her murder.
The following letter, bearing the Mackerfield postmark of October 27, has been received by the Earl of Sheffield: -

England, October 27, 1888.

Dear Loaard Sheffield, - I am sorry, but feeling it my duty to let you know, as I do not think you do, or you would not have the heart to turn an old tennent like poor old Mrs. Grover out of her home after such an hard struggle to maintain and bring up her family. Not only that, but not allowing anyone to get an honest living there in the butchering line, as they have done for a great number of years. But it seems to me as though you and your faithful steward want it all, and if you had my wish you would get more than you wanted. Remember this is a warning to you, but at the same time I should be much obliged to you if you could arrange it for your steward to sleep under the same roof as yourself, on Monday night, October 29, or else I shall have to bring an assistant. My knife is nice and sharp, oh! for a gentleman this time, instead of a lady. I am sorry for troubling you, but don't forget the 29th. - I remain, yours truly,

JACK THE RIPPER.

Lord Sheffield has for some time past been so frequently annoyed by anonymous letter writers that he has resolved to make a special effort upon this occasion to identify the writer. The above letter has, therefore, been reproduced fac-simile, and his lordship has offered a reward of 250 pounds for information leading to the arrest of the writer.

Source: The Mercury, Saturday 15 December 1888, page 4

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top