» Barak Obama
Sat 2 Jul 2016 - 10:47 by Karen

Links

Gallery

Lena Allbrook, Singer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lena Allbrook, Singer

Post by Karen on Thu 19 May 2011 - 6:53

Although I could not find a Lizzie Allbrook in the newspapers of the time, I did find a Lena Allbrook, another singer. This was taken from The Mercury which primarily covered the areas of Hackney and Shoreditch.

RECTORY ROAD CHURCH.

The people of this church had their harvest festival services on Sunday and Monday. The decorations were of a most tasteful character, the chief feature being festoons of flowers and foliage, suspended from the front of the choir gallery on a background of crimson cloth. This produced a light and elegant effect and there was also the usual bank of fruit and vegetables in front of the pulpit, which was afterwards given to the poor. The pastor, the Rev. C. Fleming Williams, preached on Sunday, his subjects being "A coronation" and "Fruits and flowers." In the morning the choir sang "O give thanks" and in the evening "Great is the Lord," solo by Mrs. Leslie King and "The heavens are telling." A musical service was given in the afternoon, when the following programme was gone through: Anthem, "O Lord, how manifold"; solo, "But the Lord is mindful," Miss Emily F. Bodel; solo, "Then shall the righteous shine," Mr. J. Rosslyn Howell; solo, "Toil and rest," Miss Maud Weeks; anthem, "O give thanks"; solo, "O Lord, have mercy," Mr. J.F. Pritchard; solo, "Eye hath not seen," Mrs. L. King; solo, "The sailor's grave," Mr. J. Rosslyn Howell; solo, "Lord, whom my inmost soul adoreth," Miss N. Drew; anthem, "I will sing of thy power."
Music was also the order of the proceedings on Monday evening. Miss Bodel displayed a fine voice in her rendering of "Crossing the bar," and was deservedly encored, her return song being "Listen to the children's voices." "I waited for the Lord," sung by Mrs. Kloss, was not a success. This beautiful composition should not be taken as a solo, and in any case it should be sung in time.
The other items were solo, "O, what is man?" Mr. E. Goudge; solo, "The children of the city," Miss Lena Allbrook; solo, "It is enough," Mr. Morgan Wilkinson; violin solo, "Romance in G" (by desire), Mr. Alfred Williams; solo, "The harbour bay," Miss Maud Weeks; anthem, "I will sing of Thy Favour", solo, "The king of love my shepherd is," Mr. Morgan Wilkinson; solo, "The way of peace," Mrs. Leslie King; violin solo, "Chopin's nocturne in E flat," Mr. Alfred Williams; solo, "The city of night," Miss Nellie Drew; recit., "In splendour bright," chorus, "The heavens are telling."
Mr. Kloss presided at the organ.

Source: The Mercury, Saturday October 10, 1896, Page 3

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top