» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen

Links

Gallery

Lumley Matthews Attempts Suicide

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lumley Matthews Attempts Suicide

Post by Karen on Tue 10 May 2011 - 0:51

I found this piece of news rather by accident. Mr. Lumley Matthews, a nephew of the Home Secretary, Henry Matthews, attempted suicide by slashing his throat with a razor. The police ended up taking into their possession two razors which were found in his bed. This incident took place just 9 days after Kelly's murder.

ATTEMPTED SUICIDE OF THE HOME SECRETARY'S NEPHEW.

Mr. Lumley Matthews, a gentleman who is said to be a nephew of the Home Secretary, was yesterday lying in University hospital with two severe gashes and another great wound in his throat caused by his tearing open one of the cuts with his hands. He went to some apartments at Endsleigh-gardens, Euston-road, on Friday afternoon, and said to the landlady, Mrs. Pitt, "Let me in; I am dying." He said that he had been staying at the Grosvenor hotel, where they had locked him up, and said he was mad. "I'm not mad, am I?" he asked. Mrs. Pitt took him in, and consented to provide him with a bedroom. He seemed to be in a state bordering on delirium tremens, and Mrs. Pitt recommended him to see Doctor Riding, who saw him, and prescribed a draught, which he took. After that he ordered in half-a-dozen bottles of claret and some soda, and he sent the servant girl for some brandy. The servant found him at 10 o'clock yesterday morning in the back yard. He had fallen 20 feet, and had sustained a fracture of the leg, besides having his throat gashed. She fetched the doctor, who called in the police. Two razors were found in his bed. The police took possession of a key, with "Grosvenor hotel" stamped on it.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper, Sunday November 18, 1888, Page 1

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top