Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen

Links

Gallery

Woman Stabbed to Death

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Woman Stabbed to Death

Post by Karen on Wed 27 Apr 2011 - 2:15

MYSTERIOUS MURDER IN ISLINGTON.

Mr. Payne, City Coroner, held an inquest last night in the Steward's room of St. Bartholomew's Hospital, on the body of a woman named Hannah Robinson, alias Thompson, aged about 40. She had been found lying insensible on the pavement in the Essex-street on the morning of the 23rd December. The deceased having first been identified as the widow of a corkcutter, residing at a lodging-house in Golden-lane, City, David Pankhurst, 231 N, said: - At 20 minutes to two on the morning of the 23rd December last I was on duty in Essex-street, City-road, and saw the deceased lying just on the doorstep of the Duke of Cambridge public-house insensible. I saw her throat was dreadfully gashed, and blood was streaming from her neck and wrist. She had no bonnet on. Her left arm was cut in three places. I said, "What are you doing here?" and she replied, "Someone has stabbed me in the back." She said a strange man accosted her near the canal bridge in the City-road, and followed her into Wharf-road, and tried to take liberties with her, but she had resisted, and he had struck her in the face and knocked her down insensible. I traced blood as far as the corner of City-garden-row. There were cuts in the dress behind. She smelt of drink. I searched her at the hospital, and found a few coppers, but no knife. Thomas Johnson, 97 G, stated that he had seen a man in company with the deceased just before she was found. Thomas Brady, inspector of police, said that when deceased was informed she was dying she made the following statement: - "I, Hannah Thompson, believing myself to be dying, make the following statement, that this is the truth and nothing but the truth. I was walking along the City-road when I noticed a man following me. He overtook and addressed me. I would not have anything to say to him. He then knocked me down with his fist, making my nose bleed. When I became conscious again I found the blood trickling from the wound in my back. I didn't feel the knife. I never saw the man before. He was about 5ft. 5in. and in dark clothes. I thought he had a cheese-cutter hat. I can't tell if he was dark or fair, or had any hair on his face." Detective Swanson made the mark for her, deceased holding the pen the while. Mr. Frederick Eve, house surgeon, admitted the deceased at 2:30 on the morning of the 23rd ult. There was a deep incised wound in the throat, without doubt commencing from the right-hand side of the neck. There were six stabs in the back between the shoulders, which could not possibly be self-inflicted. They were done with a blade an inch wide; and two incised wounds on the left hand. She died from the injuries. Inspector Brady said a man had been arrested, but deceased failed to recognise him. The case was adjourned.

Source: The Echo, Thursday January 11, 1877, Page 4

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top