Face of Winifred May Davies
Latest topics
» Why Jesus Is Not God
Mon 17 Apr 2017 - 0:09 by Karen

» The Fourth Reich
Fri 14 Apr 2017 - 14:14 by Karen

» Allah, The Real Serpent of the Garden
Tue 7 Mar 2017 - 11:45 by Karen

Sat 4 Mar 2017 - 12:06 by Karen

» Hillary Clinton (Hillroy Was Here)
Fri 28 Oct 2016 - 17:38 by Karen

» Alien on the Moon
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 21:57 by Karen

» Martian Nonsense Repeats Itself
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 18:43 by Karen

» Enlil and Enki
Fri 7 Oct 2016 - 17:11 by Karen

» Israel Shoots Down Drone - Peter Kucznir's Threat
Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 22:55 by Karen

» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen



The Jameson Raid

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Jameson Raid

Post by Karen on Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 19:20





Dr. Jameson and his men have had their day. They shot, meteor-like, across the thin line that divides the placid horizon of international peace from that of hideous war, leaving a burning trail of patriotic sentiment. But, all too soon for them, the march of events - events in the Soudan and events in the South Africa they have left - have been so rapid that they have been almost completely absorbed in newer excitements. They lost the spurious halo of popularity when they donned society's prim attire - threw it aside with their South African uniforms - and today they are as other men in similar positions, merely ordinary individuals awaiting the decision of an English magistrate upon their conduct. The appearance of Bow-street at half-past ten this morning was a fair indication of the revulsion of popular feeling. Whereas last week and the week before hundreds of people were waiting to catch a glimpse of these South African explorers - can such a term be used in the circumstances? - this week there was scarcely a single individual there. In the Court, of course, there was the usual crush. There are so many prisoners, and they have so many friends that the courteous officials - Messrs. R. Cassels, I. Cox, A.E. Washbourn, G. Scotchbrook, and all the rest - have to provide seats or standing-room for almost every sister, and cousin, and aunt, and relative of undiscoverable grade. The troopers are fast becoming quite popular among those whose business calls them to the Court. A small batch of them came this morning under the protecting care of a small batch of females. They sat at the back, knocking the poor Pressmen's elbows as they wrote - a bevy of brightly-dressed lasses, full of garrulous conversation, and joking most immoderately about the events in which the sturdy troopers had taken such an important part.


Sir John Bridge could not, naturally, afford the slight accommodation of the bench to go to waste. So he had invited a distinguished party, including Dowager Lady Annaly, Lady Foley, Duke of Abercorn, Lord and Lady Monkswell, Miss Collier, Viscount and Lady Deerhurst, Mr. and Mrs. H.M. Bompas, Lady Ernestine Bruce, Lady Finlay, Lady Kinnaird, Lady Audrey Buller, Lady Ribblesdale, Mrs. Arthur Paget, the Hon. H. Cuffe, and Mr. B. Thomas, and a very fashionable throng they were - the ladies, of course. Lady Monkswell, for instance, wore an exquisite apple-green costume, with a hat trimmed with a huge bunch of flowers and tulle. Lady Ribblesdale was a mass of flashing tinsel, and in her hat, ornamented by a shivering osprey, was a sparkling diamond brooch. And the perfume! Why, all the most delicate satchels of the most popular of all the London perfumeries must have been ransacked to produce the almost overpowering accumulation of sweet scents. Sir R.B. Finlay was the first Crown counsel to put in an appearance, followed shortly after by Sir Richard Webster, Mr. Sutton, Mr. Horace Avory, and Mr. Charles Matthews. Sir John Bridge was a little late. He did not enter till nine minutes past eleven o'clock, but as he did so he bowed to all the counsel and to those around him on the Bench, and exchanged a few common-place remarks with Sir Richard Webster.


Then the jailor approached the bar, and whispered to the Clerk of the Court. This movement and a little delay gave rise to some little speculation. It was even whispered, with almost bated breath, that some of the prisoners had not arrived. Sir John sat back in his seat. Mr. Cuffe went up to him, and so did Mr. Cutbush, the Clerk, while the jailor thrust open the prisoners door and disappeared. The three representatives of the law remained in close conversation while Inspector Swanson darted across the room and into the passage leading to the cells. All this time excitement was growing apace, but at fourteen minutes past eleven the door opened again and the whole of the prisoners filed in. Dr. Jameson came at the head of the second batch, attired in a dark morning suit and wearing, very negligently, a pair of tan gloves.


The defendants whose names are entered on the charge-sheet are: - Dr. Leander Starr Jameson (late Administrator for the British South Africa Company), Major Sir John Willoughby (Royal Horse Guards, Colonel the Hon. H.F. White (Major Grenadier Guards), Colonel R. Grey (Captain 6th Enniskilling Dragoons), Major the Hon. R. White (Captain Royal Welsh Fusiliers), Major J.B. Stracey (Scots Guards), Major C.H. Villiers (Captain Royal Horse Guards), Captain R.G. Kincaid-Smith (Lieut., R.A.), Captain C.L.W. Munro (3rd Battalion Seaforth Highlanders), Captain C.P. Foley (3rd Battalion Royal Scots), Captain E.C.S. Holden (Derbyshire Yeomanry), Captain C.F. Lindsell (4th Battalion Durham Light Infantry), Lieutenant H.H. Grenfell (1st Life Guards), Major the Hon. C.J. Coventry (Captain Worcestershire Militia), and late Bechuanaland Border Police, and Captain Audley Vaughan Gosling (Chartered Company's Police.)


The first witness was a short, deeply-tanned, military-looking gentleman, Major Francis William Panzora, of the Bechuanaland Border Police, and formerly Superintendent of Public Works in the British Protectorate. At the outset his evidence did not appear to be of very great import. He had before him a map of the country in which the "fitting out," as the law has it, of the expedition took place, and he handed it in. It showed Mafeking, Pitsani, and several other places - it was, in fact, a map pretty much the same as that published in The Echo last week, and for about ten minutes we listened to a mere recital of elementary geography.
Sir Edward Clarke, the prisoners' leading counsel, carefully traced the route indicated by the witness, as also did Sir John Bridge, on maps produced by the witness, who had marked with a red, white, and blue mark the spot where the camp was pitched in September of 1895 at Pitsani. The evidence was intensely monotonous, and one or two of the spectators left the building, but, of course, it was necessary to take it for the assistance of the Higher Court to which the case must inevitably go. But the Solicitor-General is a stickler for detail, and he got from the witness very minute particulars of the peculiarities of the country, of the building of the railway north of Mafeking, and of the different boundaries separating the countries of the different chiefs. Then Sir Edward Clarke rose to cross-examine the witness, while the prisoners chatted with each other, utterly careless of all the witness was saying.
Mr. C.F. Gill popped into the Court just before twelve o'clock, and stood outside counsels box chatting with one of the juniors. Meanwhile, Sir Edward plied his questions, elicited facts we already knew as to the transference of the Bechuanaland Police to the Chartered Company, the alteration in the administration of Bechuanaland, &c. There was just one flash of interest when the witness told us that he knew the Chief Lynchwe very well, and that that gentleman "was practically a squatter, whose territory has never been officially defined" - an opinion which may appear in another guise some day, when the African rush becomes even keener than it is now.


The tedious witness was succeeded in the box by the young Sergeant Cumming, who was recalled by the Attorney-General to correct some slight inaccuracy in his evidence in chief, concerning the ammunition used by the men on their march from Mafeking.


Further than that, he told us how deplorable was the condition of the men when they surrendered. He said that at that time many of the men were without ammunition. They had fired it all away, though there was a fourth of the ammunition left on the whole. "How do you know?" asked Sir Edward Clarke at once. "Well," was the reply, "from what I observed. Some got none, and others got plenty." "Had you any left?" again asked Sir Edward. "No," was the prompt reply.


A sergeant next came upon the scene, James Thomas White, who now lives in Pengwern-road, Earl's-court. Like all these young fellows who have gone across to Africa to make money and fame and a home, he is a smartly-built young man, with a sun-tanned face, and a fair amount of education. He spoke of his former connection with the Bechuanaland Border Police (B.B.P. is the familiar name of the force), and of his having been formerly a lance-corporal in the Matabeleland Border Police. He told us of the march of his troop, at that time quartered at Gabronnes, to Mafeking, where they arrived on December 12th, they being under orders for disbandment, though they were told they could join the Chartered Company's forces if they cared to.


When the got to Mafeking several of the prisoners were there, but Captain Gosling seems to have acted as the mouthpiece of the officers of the Company's forces. He asked all the men to join the Chartered Company's forces, and told them they should have 1s. a day extra and the rank of seniority would be respected. But White remained firm. He would not join. Even when Gosling approached him individually he still remained firm, and the following colloquy will show why: -

Did Captain Gosling have a conversation with you afterwards? - Yes; a day or two afterwards he asked me to come over to the Company's service, and said that if I did he would promote me to full sergeant. I refused.
Why? - I told him I was a married man, and could not afford to knock about in that irregular course. (Laughter.)
What did Colonel Grey say to you? - He also asked me to come over to the Company's service. Captain Coventry also spoke to me, and I gave the same reply.
Was anything else said to you? - Captain Coventry added that very soon after leaving Mafeking we should probably see active service.
How long was that before the column started? - The day before.
The men who did not wish to join the Company's service, what troop were they formed into? - They were drafted into the F Troop, and men of the F Troop who did join the Company's service were shifted to other troops.


From this point White took us to the familiar scene at the muster at Mafeking on the night of Sunday, the 29th Dec., and he repeated what he remembered of the speeches. This was very interesting, for according to White Captain Coventry said to the men of the F Troop: -
We have got order to go to Johannesburg. We have got to get there in 50 hours, and I want all you fellows to come with me. Those men who are willing to, proceed right out to the front.
This is quite different from the accepted version of the affair, though what immediately followed is not. Coventry rode away because no one responded, and Colonel Grey came up. The succeeding incidents are best shown in the witness's own words: -

What did he say? - He said, "What's the matter with you men? Why won't you come?" Then one of the troopers asked him, "Are we going to fight for the Queen?" Colonel Grey said, "No; we are going to fight for the supremacy of the British flag in South Africa."
Did he say anything further by way of appeal? - No, but twelve or fifteen men went over.
Did they go away to the other troops? - They remained fallen out. Colonel Grey dismounted and had conversations with the members of the troop who had not come forward.
What did he say to you? - He said, "I know all about you; you can fall away."
Did you say anything to him on that occasion about your reasons? - I told him I had already given him my reasons, and had nothing else to say.
What orders were then given to the men who had not volunteered? - I don't know. I went to my tent.
What was Colonel Grey's position before that? - He had commanded the Bechuanaland Border Police up to that time.
What uniform was he wearing on the night of December 29th? - That of an officer of the Bechuanaland Border Police.
What was Captain Coventry's position before that? - He had had command of the E troop of the Bechuanaland Border Police at Macloutsie.


Having recited so much, in response to the Attorney-General, White next spoke of the departure of the column into the Transvaal later on in this memorable night, and then he brought us to the still more famous ride of his - the ride with the despatches to Jameson and his men, started after they had been gone about twelve hours - a ride across the veldt and through a comparatively unknown country. Here is his description of this event, drawn from him by Sir Richard Webster: -

On Monday, December 30th, did you receive orders to go to the orderly-room? - Yes, and I there saw Captain Walford and Mr. Newton, the Commissioner.
Did Captain Walford say anything to you? - He asked me if I was willing to take a despatch into the Transvaal. He said I must go unarmed, but in the uniform of the British Bechuanaland Police.
Did you say you would go? - Yes. Mr. Merton gave me a pass.
What was it? - "To all whom it may concern. This is to pass Sergeant White, of the B.B. Police, in carrying despatches from the High Commissioner to Dr. Jameson."
What became of the pass? - It was afterwards taken from me by the Dutch.
Did you also get any orders to call at the hotel at Mafeking for something? - Yes. I then saddled the horse and got the despatches.
From whom? - Sergeant-Major Butler.
How were they done up? - In a piece of canvas, or waterproof. They were tied up, but not addressed.
And were you told to take them to Dr. Jameson? - No. To take them to the Colonel.
Who did you think that meant? - I thought Colonel Grey.
Were you told about the speed you should go - slow or fast? - Yes. I was told to catch the Colonel at any cost.
Anything said about the horse? - Yes. I was told not to spare it.
About what time did you leave Mafeking? - Between 2 and 2:30 in the afternoon.
Were you told what road to take? - Mr. Newton told me to take the Malmani road.
On that afternoon, after passing the border, were you stopped by anybody? - Yes, by a small troop of armed Boers.
Did they want to know your business? - Yes.
And you told them? - Yes.
Did they take you anywhere? - To Field-Cornet Louw's house at Molopo.
Were you subsequently taken to Malmani? - Yes.
Had you still got your despatches? - They had been taken from me.
Whom did you see at Malmani? - The Landrost, Marais.
Do you know whether the bundle of despatches had then been opened? - They had not. The Landrost wanted me to open them. I said I couldn't do it. He said if I did not he would send me back over the border and the despatches would never reach Dr. Jameson.
What did you then say? - I said if he liked to open them he could, but I could not give him authority to do it.
Did he then leave you? - Yes, in charge of Louw and other Boers. In half an hour he sent for me, and said he had opened the despatches and would allow me to proceed under escort. He said I must not attempt to escape or I should be shot.
How long from the time the Boers stopped you to that time; what was the delay? - About four hours.
Did you then start off again? - Yes. I was escorted by Field-Cornet Louw and a Transvaal policeman.
Had the despatches been given back to you? - No, Louw had them. They had been done up again.
On that evening did you reach a store about six o'clock? - Yes, and I saw forage and tinned fruit there, but no one appeared to be in charge, and we helped ourselves to forage and food that night. About two hours and a half later we came to another store, and still later we reached a third. Neither of them was in charge of anyone.
On the veldt did you see two horses? - Yes, and there was someone in charge of them.
Did you notice anything about them? - I noticed that they had their tails cut, being police horses. I went to them, and found two Kaffirs armed with Lee-Metford rifles and bandoliers.
What horses were they? - They were both branded "C.C." They were Chartered Company's horses, and not of the Transvaal.


The witness went on to describe how on the Tuesday morning they reached a fourth store, where the Field Cornet stopped, having previously handed him his despatches, which had been opened. White then went on with the Transvaal policeman, and after crossing Eland's river he came up with the column. This was about two hours and a-half after he left the fourth store, and after riding the whole night, and traversing 80 miles across the country on only one horse.
Here the interesting narrative ended for a brief period, while the Court adjourned for luncheon.


Verily this trial is full of surprises, but perhaps the greatest surprise of all was how the majority of the pressmen spent their luncheon interval. There, beneath the shadow of the magisterial Bench, almost under the very nose of Sir John Bridge, they actually organised a sixpenny sweepstake on the Lincoln Handicap - organised it by the side of the prisoners' door, and drew for horses even as the crowd of fashionable personages, headed by the chief magistrate, gradually shuffled out of the Court! The prisoners, meanwhile, were provided with everything they required in the shape of creature comforts outside in the corridor, entertained their friends as sumptuously as the exigencies of the case would allow, and puffed their cigarettes till the Court was full again with the aroma.
When, at two o'clock, we settled down to business again, Sir Richard Webster again resumed his examination of White. The witness told us that when he reached the column he noticed there were more troops than had left Mafeking, and that the additions were composed of the Chartered Company's forces. They had halted when he reached them, and this conversation, question and answer, shows what followed: -

Did you go to where you saw some of the staff officers? - Yes. I addressed myself to Colonel Grey.
Did you give Colonel Grey the packet? - I had opened it when I passed through the outposts of the column. I found it contained five letters, which I handed to Colonel Grey.
What did he say to you? - He said, "Take them to Sir John Willoughby." I found Sir John Willoughby, and said to him, "Here are some despatches," and he said, "Take them to Dr. Jameson."
Did you take them to Dr. Jameson? - Yes.
What did he say? - He said, "Take them to Sir John Willoughby; he is in military command."
[This beating from pillar to post afforded much amusement in Court.]
Neither of these gentlemen had, so far, taken the letters out of the envelopes? - No.
When you took them back to Sir John Willoughby what did he do? - He took them from me, and gave some of them to Captain Coventry.
Did you see Sir John Willoughby take out one of the letters and read it? - Yes.
Did you notice whether Captain Coventry took his out and read them? - Yes, he did, and I heard him say to Captain Gosling, "Here's an envelope. Yours has been taken by the Transvaal Government. Read mine."

While these questions were being put and answered, Captain Coventry, who appeared to dissent from what the witness said, borrowed a piece of paper from one of the Pressmen sitting nearly opposite, and hurriedly scribbled a note, which was handed across to his counsel.
Did you notice whether Captain Munro read the letter? - Yes.
What did Sir John Willoughby say to you? - He said, "Wait for an answer." I waited about half an hour, and then Sir John Willoughby sent for me.
What did he say to you? - He said, "Tell your commanding officer that the despatches have been received, and will be attended to."


Before he started back Colonel Grey asked White to take back to Mafeking some 300 horses that had apparently been used by the troopers, but he refused to do so. The majority of these horses were branded C.C. - the mark of the Chartered Company. However, Colonel Grey said, "If I give you six Cape boys will you see them on the road?" and White replied in the affirmative. He then counted the horses - 290 in all - and told the "boys" to take them to Mafeking. Before they could start, however, some armed Dutchmen came upon the scene, and they put a sentry over the horses, and the "boys" could not take them. This, as witness explained, was about half an hour after the column had left in the direction of Johannesburg.
(The report will be continued.)

Source: The Echo, Tuesday March 24, 1896, Page 1

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jameson's Arrival

Post by Karen on Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 18:58




The Press Association's Special Correspondent at Plymouth, telegraphing at 8:45 this morning, says that the transport Victoria lay at her moorings in the Sound all night. At eight o'clock this morning, conforming to the rules of the port as an Admiralty ship, she hoisted her flag at the stern. Several tugs thereupon put out, and went alongside, including the Triumph with the representatives of the owners of the Victoria on board. No authorised person was allowed on the Victoria. It is understood that Dr. Jameson had not left his cabin, and the utmost secrecy was observed as to his movements and intentions.


Immediately after receiving the above telegram, others of an extremely conflicting character came to hand. We give them in the order in which they reached The Echo office to show that even at Plymouth the authorities did all in their power, by hoodwinking both the public and the Press representatives, to prevent any unseemly demonstration. Appended are the telegrams: -


9:30 - An Exchange Telegraph Company's Plymouth telegram says that neither Jameson nor the Lancaster Regiment had disembarked up to that hour.


10:24 - Dr. Jameson is believed to be still on board the Victoria in Plymouth Sound. The tugs are moored alongside. Rumours are current that Dr. Jameson was smuggled off the ship early this morning, but no continuation of this is obtainable.


10:39 - Rumours are current that Dr. Jameson left the Victoria before she entered Plymouth Sound, and it is suggested that he may have embarked in a similar vessel for London or some intermediate port without landing at Plymouth at all. Nothing definite is, however, known, and the authorities continue to observe the greatest reticence regarding their own and the doctor's intentions, with the manifest object of avoiding, as far as possible, any demonstration.


10:40 - The Central News Special Correspondent says: - "It is certain that Dr. Jameson was still on board the Victoria at 10:15. The troops of the Royal Lancaster Regiment are now disembarking. A torpedo-boat destroyer has just put off to the Victoria, but the officials here still decline to say where and when Dr. Jameson will be landed."


10:47 - News has just been received from the Victoria that Jameson is still on board. It is now thought possible that he may be taken on to Southampton or London in the vessel.


11:30 - Dr. Jameson is still on the Victoria, and no preparations have been made for landing. He is occupied in consultation with Mr. Hawkesbury, the solicitor of the Chartered Company. The Victoria leaves Plymouth soon after noon for Portsmouth.


11:43 - An Exchange Telegraph Company's Plymouth telegram says: - Sir Edward Grogan, of the Rifle Brigade, has just arrived at the docks from the Victoria. Being interviewed he said Dr. Jameson was still on board, and also the officers. It is believed now that Jameson is to be landed at Southampton. An officer is expected from Scotland-yard to put Jameson under arrest.


11:55 - The Press Associations Special Correspondent, telegraphing from Devonport, states that the disembarkation from the transport Victoria took place this morning, both officers and men being landed at Devonport dockyard. One of the members of the regiment, the Royal Lancaster, on being interviewed on the subject of Dr. Jameson's life on board, said they reached Durban from India on their way home on January 21st. Dr. Jameson and his 13 officers were marched aboard as prisoners, and the ship left Natal the same night, without being boarded by any detectives or Government police officials. The ex-Administrator and his staff were in the custody of Major McCarthy, who was in command of the regiment. The prisoners occupied the second-class saloon, which was entirely given over to them. They usually messed alone, but occasionally entertained some of the officers of the regiment to dinner. The officers mixed freely with Dr. Jameson and his staff, chatting with them on deck in a very friendly manner. The doctor and his officers appeared to have spent their time after the usual fashion on a long and tedious voyage. They indulged a good deal in deck billiards and other available recreations, whilst the smoking-room was always a popular place of resort. Those who had mixed with the pressmen say that they have been cheerful and hearty throughout the voyage, and appear confident that they will be able to make out a good case for themselves. A good deal of the time during the voyage was devoted to the


This has been reduced to writing, and signed by Dr. Jameson, one of whose men, on being asked how the Doctor was, replied, "Oh, he is in excellent health. When I left the Victoria at 9:30 this morning he was making a good breakfast. Sir J. Willoughby and the others are also in good spirits, and all right in the matter of health."


11:57 A.M. - The Press Association Correspondent telegraphing from Devonport, says he learns, on good authority, that Dr. Jameson is not on board the Victoria, but has left her in a small steamer, believed to be a torpedo-boat destroyer.


12:50 - The Central News Correspondent at Plymouth telegraphs that at noon Dr. Jameson and party were still on the Victoria, and everything points to the transport leaving for Southampton without landing Dr. Jameson at Plymouth. Those who saw the doctor at breakfast this morning report that he is looking fit and well, and is in cheerful spirits. Dr. Jameson has been occupied this morning in close consultation with Mr. Hawkesley, solicitor to the Chartered Company, who will most likely accompany the Victoria to Southampton. The transport was cleared of troops by noon, as she is expected to leave at any moment.


12:56 P.M. - The Exchange Telegraph Company's Plymouth telegram says: - Dr. Jameson and his officers were formally arrested on board the Victoria by a Scotland-yard detective, with the exception of Major M. Heany, who was released from custody at Port Said. The Jameson party were treated as second-class passengers, under the charge, during the voyage home, of Major McCarthy, of the Royal Lancaster Regiment. All are in good health. They will proceed in the vessel to Southampton, and disembark there.


12:55 - The Central News learns that it is the present intention of the authorities not to land Dr. Jameson at Plymouth or Devonport. He will, in all probability, be transferred to a swift tug and taken to some other port in the Channel and forwarded to London. It may possibly be Southampton, but it will not be Portsmouth. The boat may leave Plymouth with the late Administrator of Rhodesia this afternoon. Two detective-inspectors have been told off from Scotland Yard to meet Dr. Jameson on landing and conduct him to London.


1:40 - The Victoria left Plymouth at 1:30, with Dr. Jameson and his officers on board. Her destination is probably Southampton.


2:30 - It is stated that Dr. Jameson will give his word of honour that he will not be interviewed. As a defendant he will be treated with the greatest courtesy, but must for a time remain in custody.


2:50 - The Central News Correspondent telegraphs that Dr. Jameson will probably be landed at some port before reaching Southampton.


3:14 - It is believed that Dr. Jameson will arrive at Southampton early tomorrow morning, and be at once conveyed to London. It is thought that the tactics observed on landing Jabez Balfour will be observed, but the officials positively decline to say a word.


According to a statement which the Exchange Telegraph Company has received Dr. Jameson will be probably taken to Mr. Hawkesley's House on Campden-hill on arrival in London, presumably with an officer in charge of him. The rank and file of Dr. Jameson's men who are in London, and are required as witnesses, are expected to be formally bound over at Bow-street Police-court in their own recognisances in order that the Government may obtain their names and addresses for the ultimate trial in the Queen's Bench.


A very large number of people assembled round the door of Bow-street Police-court this morning, in the hope of seeing Dr. Jameson arrive, and the doorkeeper had hard work to keep back the impulsive ones, who would insist on trying to push their way into the Court. "Dr. Jameson here, Sir?" "No, not likely to be, either," was a remark repeated over and over again ad nauseam. A diversion occurred when a cab was seen to drive past containing two men wearing the uniform of Dr. Jameson's force. Several of the crowd dashed after the cab, and a faint cheer was raised, but the cab was driven rapidly past, and no further notice was taken of the incident. At eleven it was stated on good authority that Dr. Jameson will not be brought up today.


At half-past twelve it was announced semi-officially, through the chief clerk, that Dr. Jameson will not be brought up at Bow-street Police-court today. This had, not, however, drawn off the number of the Press, or friends of Dr. Jameson, who were still waiting. A counsel was then sitting in the counsel's box awaiting the arrival of Mr. Hawkesley, of Messrs. Hollams, Hawkesley, and Company, Dr. Jameson's solicitor, and who is also solicitor to the Chartered Company. The latest report is that Dr. Jameson will go to the Court alone, and that it has already been intimated to his officers in the regular army that they will be called on to a answer a charge of "Surrendering" before a Court-martial.


Inspector Froest and Inspector Swanson had an interview of some duration with Mr. Cuffe at the Treasury this morning, and gave him details with reference to the troopers who landed at Plymouth yesterday from the Harlech Castle.

[Full details of the arrival of Jameson's troopers yesterday, together with their thrilling stories of the Raid, will be found on Page 4.]

Source: The Echo, Monday February 24, 1896, Page 1

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum