View previous topic View next topic Go down

Secret Document Spawned By Lees' Visions

Post by Karen on Wed 30 Mar 2011 - 20:57

[img][/img]

CLAIRVOYANT WHO TRACKED "JACK THE RIPPER."
MURDERS SEEN IN VISIONS.

SCOTLAND-YARD WARNED A DAY AHEAD.
ASTONISHING CLAIMS.

MEETING WITH THE "RIPPER" IN A LONDON OMNIBUS.

The first part of the secret document which purports to describe how Mr. Robert James Lees, the famous clairvoyant, solved the mystery of "Jack the Ripper" is published below. As stated on Saturday, the document was placed in the hands of the "Daily Express" shortly after Mr. Lees' death by a friend who had been in his confidence. Mr. Lees dictated the document and left word that it should not be revealed until after his death.
Mr. Lees was received more than once at Buckingham Palace by Queen Victoria, who was interested in his psychic powers. A "Daily Express" representative who visited Leicester, where Mr. Lees lived, was informed by his children that a pledge of secrecy was put on him after his discovery of "Jack the Ripper's" identity.
Miss Eva Lees, who is still living in the house in Fosse-road, Leicester, where Mr. Lees died, stated definitely that her father received a pension from the Privy Purse for many years. Envelopes from the Privy Purse and certain royal residences were produced as proof, although the letters were withheld on grounds of good taste.

THE SECRET DOCUMENT. - PART I

MR. ROBERT JAMES LEES, who was well known in spiritualistic circles as the author of "Through the Mists" and "The Life Elysian," claimed to have tracked down the notorious "Jack the Ripper," who terrorised the Whitechapel district of London about forty years ago.
A dozen London physicians who sat as a court of medical inquiry of a commission in lunacy definitely proved that the dreaded "Jack the Ripper" was no less a person than a physician in high standing living in the West-end of London.
When it was absolutely proved that the physician in question was the murderer, and his insanity fully established by a commission de lunatico inquirendo, all parties having knowledge of the facts were sworn to secrecy.
"Jack the Ripper" had been ever since he was a student at Guy's Hospital an ardent vivisectionist. Through some extraordinary natural contradiction, instead of the sight of pain softening him, as is the case with most devoices of scientific experiment, it had an opposite effect. This so grew upon him that he experienced the keenest delight in inflicting tortures upon defenceless animals.
One of his favourite pastimes was to remove the eyelids from a rabbit and expose it for hours in a fixed position to a blinding sun. He would take a seat near it, totally forgetful of meals, of the passage of time and of everything except the exquisite sensations he experienced in watching the agonized contortions of his victims.
This passion for inflicting pain so grew upon the man who was afterwards to rank as a disciple of cruelty with Nero that as he approached manhood and his softer nature impelled him to seek a wife he could hardly retrain himself from an indulgence in his barbaric pursuits long enough to woo and win her.
He had scarcely been married a month before his wife discovered that he had a mania for inflicting pain. In testifying before the commission she gave the following extraordinary evidence: -
"One night we were sitting in the drawing room. It was quite late. I arose to go to bed. When I arrived upstairs I remembered that I had left my watch upon the drawing room mantelpiece. I descended the stairs. As I approached the drawing room I heard the sound of a cat mewing piteously.
"Looking through the door, which happened to be open, I was horrified to see my husband holding a cat over the flame of the lamp. I was too frightened to do anything but retreat upstairs. When my husband came to bed along towards daylight I felt that I was occupying the same couch with a monster. I discovered later that he had spent almost the whole night in burning the cat to death.

Kind and Loving.

"The next day he was as kind and loving as possible. I discovered later that he was subject to an unconquerable mania for inflicting pain. It was quite possible for me, as I studied him closely, to tell when these moods were coming on. On such occasions some apparently trivial act would put me on my guard. He was apt at such times to begin by catching a fly and twirling it impaled upon a pin.
"He was a strange contradiction. When our little boy, only four years old, imitated him once in this respect the father was actually shocked, and was so indignant that he gave the child a sound whipping. As the boy screamed with pain the ferocious side of my husband's nature asserted itself. He would in all probability have beaten the child to death if I had not interfered.
"In his normal moods he was an excellent husband and father and one of the gentlest and most tractable of men. I have often heard him express sincere sympathy with persons in misfortune."
The circumstances which led to the detection of this inhuman monster with a dual nature are extraordinary and altogether unparalleled in the history of crime. It is only right that proper credit should be given to the man who put the London police on his track. He himself has sacredly observed his promise - he refused to make any oath on the ground of religious scruples - not to divulge the identity of "the Ripper."
Robert James Lees by whom the unfortunates of the East-end of London were freed from the attack of a monster, is the person entitled to the credit of tracking "Jack the Ripper." Mr. Lees was at that time the proprietor of a novel institution for the higher education of working men at Peckham.
In his early years Mr. Lees developed an extraordinary clairvoyant power, which enabled him to discern, as with the eyes of a seer, things hidden from the comprehension of ordinary men born without this singular gift.
At the age of nineteen he was summoned before the Queen, where he gave evidence of his powers as a clairvoyant which excited her utmost astonishment.

Scene of a Murder.

At the time of the first three murders by "the Ripper" Mr. Lees was at the height of his clairvoyant powers. One day he was writing in his study when he became convinced the "the Ripper" was about to commit another murder. He tried in vain to dispel the feeling. As he sat at his table the whole scene rose before him.
He seemed to see two persons, a man and a woman, walking down the length of a mean street. He followed them in his mind's eye, and saw them enter a narrow court. He looked and read the name of the court. There was a gin palace near this court, ablaze with light. Looking through the windows he saw that the hands of the clock in the bar pointed to 12:40, the hour at which the public houses were closed for the night.
As he looked he saw the man and the woman enter a dark corner of the court. The woman was half drunk; the man was perfectly sober. He was dressed in a dark suit of Scotch tweed, carried a light overcoat on his arm, and his light blue eyes glittered in the rays of the lamp light which dimly illuminated the dingy retreat the pair had chosen.
The woman leaned against the wall, and the man put one hand over her mouth. She struggled in a feeble manner, as if too much overcome by liquor to make any effectual resistance. The man then drew a knife from his inside vest pocket and cut the woman's throat. The blood streamed over his shirt front. He held his hand over the woman's mouth until she fell to the ground.

Mutilated Victim.

He inflicted sundry gashes on her with his long knife. These were delivered in a scientific manner. He then deliberately wiped his knife upon the clothes of the woman, sheathed it, and, putting on his light overcoat, buttoned it up, so as to hide his shirt front, after which he walked calmly away from the scene of the murder.
Such was the extraordinary clairvoyant vision presented to the second sight of Mr. Lees. So impressed was he by what he had miraculously witnessed that he at once went to Scotland-yard and detailed the whole matter to the detectives. As they regarded him as nothing short of a lunatic, and had for some months been visited by all sorts and conditions of cranks with "Jack-the-Ripper" theories, he naturally received little attention.
By way of humouring one whom they considered a harmless lunatic, the sergeant on duty took down the name of the place where Mr. Lees said the crime would be committed, and also noted that the hand of the clock in the mythical public house had pointed to 12:40 at the moment when "the Ripper" and his victim had entered the court.
At 12:30 on the following night a woman entered the public-house near the court in question. She was quite under the influence of drink, and the bar-keeper refused to serve her. She left the place swearing, and using vile language. She was seen by another witness to enter the court again at 12:40 in company with a man dressed in a dark suit and carrying a light overcoat on his arm. The witness thought the man was an American because he wore a soft felt hat, and added that "he looked like a gentleman."

Robbed of Sleep.

This was the evidence given before the deputy coroner, who held an inquest on the body of a woman who had been found in the very place described by Mr. Lees, "with her throat cut from ear to ear, and otherwise indecently and horribly mutilated" - to quote from the coroner's records.
Mr. Lees himself was indescribably shocked when he learned of the murder next day. Taking with him a trusted manservant he visited the scene of the outrage. To use his own language: "I felt almost as if I was an accessory before the fact. It made such an impression upon me that my whole nervous system was seriously shaken. I could not sleep at night, and under the advice of a physician I removed with my family to the Continent."
During his visit abroad Mr. Lees was no longer troubled by those strange visions notwithstanding the fact that while he was absent "the Ripper" had added to his list of crimes no fewer than four additional atrocious murders. It then became necessary for Mr. Lees to return to London.
One day, while riding in an omnibus from Shepherd's Bush in company with his wife, he experienced a renewal of the strange sensations which had preceded his former clairvoyant condition. The omnibus ascended Notting Hill. It stopped at the top, and a man entered the vehicle.

[img][/img]

"That is the Ripper!"

Mr. Lees at once experienced a singular sensation. Looking up he perceived that the new passenger was a man of medium size. He noticed that he was dressed in a suit of dark Scotch tweed and a light overcoat. He also wore a soft felt hat.
Over a year had elapsed since Mr. Lees' clairvoyant vision, but the picture of the murderer had been indelibly impressed upon his mind. Leaning over to his wife, he remarked earnestly: "That is Jack the Ripper."
His wife laughed at this and told him not to be foolish. "I am not mistaken," replied Mr. Lees, "I feel it."
The omnibus traversed the entire length of Edgware-road, turning into Oxford-street at the Marble Arch. At this point the an in the light overcoat got out.
Mr. Lees determined to follow him. Bidding his wife continue her journey home, he followed the man down Park-lane. About halfway down the thoroughfare he met a constable, to whom he pointed out the man in the light overcoat, informing him that he was the dreaded "Ripper" and asking that he be arrested. The constable laughed at him and threatened to "run him in."
It seems that the "Ripper" must have entertained some apprehension that he was in danger, for on reaching Apsley House he jumped into a cab and was driven rapidly down Piccadilly. A minute later Mr. Lees met a police sergeant, to whom he confided his suspicions.
"Show me the constable who refused to arrest him!" exclaimed the sergeant. "Why, it was only this morning that we received news at Bow-street Station that the "Ripper" was coming in this direction."
That night Mr. Lees again received premonitions that the "Ripper" was about to commit another murder. The scene of this outrage was not so distinct as on the former occasion, but the face of the murdered woman was clearly defined.
Mr. Lees noted with great particularity the aspect of the "Ripper's" victim. A peculiarity of the mutilations, which were somewhat similar to the first, was that one ear was completely severed from the face and the other remained hanging by a mere shred of flesh.

The "Ripper's" Message.

As soon as he recovered from his trance and the subsequent shock he experienced in witnessing this dreamlike tragedy, Mr. Lees hastened to Scotland-yard, where he insisted on having immediate audience with the head inspector of police. That functionary listened with a smile of incredulity to the first portion of his visitor's story. The smile died away at once, however, upon Mr. Lees reaching that portion of his narrative which spoke of the victim's ears being severed from her head.
With a trembling hand and a face which plainly betokened the effect of Mr. Lees' communication, the officer drew a postcard from his desk and laid it before his visitor.
It was an ordinary postcard written in red ink. In addition, it bore the marks of two bloody fingers, which had been impressed upon it by the writer, and which remained as a kind of bloody sign manual upon its calendered surface.
The postcard read as follows: -

Tomorrow night I shall again take my revenge, claiming, from a class of women who have made themselves most obnoxious to me, my ninth victim. JACK THE RIPPER.

P.S. - To prove that I am really Jack the Ripper I will cut off the ears of this ninth victim.

The second and final section of this remarkable document will be published in tomorrow's "Daily Express."

Source: The Daily Express, Monday March 9, 1931, Page 3

Part II later........................

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

Secret Document Part II

Post by Karen on Thu 31 Mar 2011 - 0:11

"JACK THE RIPPER'S" END.
CLAIRVOYANT AS HUMAN BLOODHOUND.

HIS STORY OF THE MAD DOCTOR'S CAPTURE.
"THERE IS THE MURDERER!"

The "Daily Express" presents below the second and final installment of the extraordinary document which it is claimed reveals how Mr. Robert James Lees, the spiritualist, who died recently, tracked down the dreaded "Jack the Ripper."
Details of Mr. Lees' first visions of the crimes were given in the first part of the document yesterday.
The strange lapses into mania of the West End physician - prominent in London Society - who, it is alleged, was discovered as the criminal, were outlined.
Yesterday's narrative ended when Mr. Lees is described as visiting Scotland-yard to tell them of still another vision that "Jack the Ripper" was about to commit his ninth murder. The account continues: -

THE SECRET DOCUMENT - PART II

It must be recollected that at this time the entire Metropolis was completely terrorised by this awful series of murders which shocked indeed the whole of Christendom by their unparalleled barbarity, the frequency of their occurrence and the apparent complete immunity enjoyed by their inhuman perpetrator.
The inspector himself, who was a religious man, looked upon the extraordinary coincidence of the receipt of the postcard - with the contents of which he alone was familiar - and the story, of Mr. Lees as a warning sent from heaven, and as a divine intimation that he must leave no stone unturned to bring this monster to justice.
All that day he concentrated his entire energies upon the problem of how best to cover the intricate territory known as the "Whitechapel district."

He had at his command a force of nearly 15,000 constables. By dusk of next day no fewer than 3,000 of these in citizens' clothes, in addition to 1,500 detectives, disguised as mechanics and dock labourers, were patrolling the courts and alleys of Whitechapel.
Notwithstanding these precautions, "Jack the Ripper" penetrated the cordon, slew his victim and made his escape.
The inspector, when told that this victim had been discovered with one ear completely severed and the other hanging from her face by a mere shred of flesh, turned deathly pale, and it was some time before he recovered his usual self-possession.

THE SIXTEENTH.

Mr. Lees was so affected by this last tragedy that he at once removed to the Continent. While he was thus abroad the "Ripper" completed his sixteenth murder, and had coolly informed the Scotland-yard authorities that he "intended to kill twenty and then cease."
Shortly after this Mr. Lees returned to England, where he made the acquaintance of Roland B. Shaw, a mining stockbroker of New York, and Fred C. Beckwith, of Broadhead, Wis., U.S.A., who was then the financial promoter of an American syndicate in London.
These three gentlemen were dining one evening in the Criterion when Mr. Lees turned to his two companions suddenly and exclaimed: "Great God! 'Jack the Ripper' has committed another murder."
Mr. Shaw looked at his watch and found it was eleven minutes to eight. At ten minutes past eight a policeman discovered the body of a woman in Crown-court, in the Whitechapel district, with her throat cut from ear to ear, and her body bearing all the marks of the Ripper's handiwork.
Mr. Lees and his companions at once went to Scotland-yard. The news of the murder had not yet reached the inspector, but while Mr. Lees was relating his story a telegram arrived giving full details of the outrage.
The inspector, taking with him two men in plain clothes, at once drove to Crown-court, in company with Mr. Lees and the two Americans. As they entered the court Mr. Lees exclaimed: "Look in the angle of the wall. There is something written there."
The inspector ran forward, and, not having a dark lantern with him, struck a match. As the tiny flame flared up the words: "Seventeen, Jack the Ripper," done in chalk upon the wall, were distinctly visible.
The inspector by this time was in a condition closely bordering on insanity. It must be borne in mind that this madman had for years baffled all the resources of the greatest police force in the world - that, rendered desperate at last, the authorities had summoned to their assistance the most experienced detectives in France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Spain, and America.

30,000 POUND REWARD.

They had lavished immense sums in an endeavour to trace the fiend, and there was then pending an aggregate reward of 30,000 pounds, together with a life pension of 1,500 pounds per annum, all to go to the man who should first deliver to justice the terrible "Ripper."
As before stated, the inspector seemed to recognise in Mr. Lees an instrument of Providence, and he determined then and there to avail himself of this marvelous, though incomprehensible, powers.
After an earnest appeal from the inspector Mr. Lees consented to try to track the "Ripper" much in the same way as the bloodhound pursues a criminal. There seemed to be some magnetic wave connecting an impalpable sense he possessed with the fugitive.
All that night Mr. Lees submitted himself to this strange magnetic influence, and traversed swiftly the streets of London. The inspector and his aids followed a few feet behind him.
At last, at four o'clock in the morning, with a pale face and bloodshot eyes, the human bloodhound halted at the gates of a West-end mansion, gasping, with cracked and swollen lips, as he pointed to an upper chamber, where a faint light yet gleamed.
"There is the murderer - the man you are looking for."
"It is impossible," returned the inspector. "That is the residence of one of the most celebrated physicians in the West-end."
The most extraordinary part of this well-nigh incredible narrative is now to come. The inspector had been so strongly impressed with the clairvoyant powers of Mr. Lees that he determined to put them to the crowning proof.
"If you will describe to me," he said, "the interior of the doctor's hall I will arrest him, but I shall do so at the risk of losing my position, which I have won by over twenty years' faithful service."

THE SLEEPING MASTIFF.

"The hall has a high porter's chair of black oak on the right hand as you enter it, a stained glass window at the extreme end, and a large mastiff is at this moment asleep at the foot of the stairs," replied Mr. Lees, without hesitation.
They waited then until seven o'clock, the hour at which the servants begin to stir in a fashionable London residence. They then entered the house and learned that the doctor was still in bed.
They requested to be allowed to see his wife. The servant left them standing in the hall, and Mr. Lees called the inspector's attention that there was no mastiff visible, as he had described, though his description of the hall in all other respects tallied exactly.
Upon questioning the servant as to the whereabouts of the dog she informed Mr. Lees that it generally slept at the foot of the stairs, and that she let it out into the back garden every morning.
When the inspector heard this he exclaimed: -
"Great heavens," adding in an undertone to his companion, "It is the hand of God!"
In the course of half an hour's searching examination the doctor's wife, who was a beautiful woman, confessed that she did not believe that her husband was of sound mind. There had been moments when he had threatened herself and her children. At such times she had been accustomed to lock herself up.
She had noted with heart-breaking dread that whenever a Whitechapel murder had occurred her husband was absent from home.
An hour later the inspector had completed his arrangements for the examination of the doctor, and had summoned to his aid two of the greatest experts on insanity in the metropolis.
When accused, the doctor admitted that his mind had been unbalanced for some years, and that of late there had been intervals of time during which he had no recollection of what he had been doing.
When told that they believed that he had been guilty of the Whitechapel murders during these intervals, he expressed the greatest repugnance and horror of such deeds, speaking as if the murderer was quite a different person from himself, and expressing a great willingness to bring him to justice.
He told the physicians he had on one or two occasions found himself sitting in his room as if suddenly aroused from a long stupor, and in one instance he had found blood on his shirt front, which he attributed to nose-bleeding.
On another occasion his face had been scratched.
On hearing this, the inspector caused a thorough search of the house to be made, when ample proofs were found that the doctor was the murderer.
Among others, the detectives brought to light the famous Scotch tweed suit and soft felt hat, together with the light overcoat. When convinced of his guilt, the unfortunate physician begged them to kill him at once, as he "could not live under the same roof as a monster."
As stated in the early part of this article, an exhaustive inquiry before a commission in lunacy developed the fact that while in one mood the doctor was a most worthy man, in another he was a terrible monster.
He was at once removed to a private insane asylum in Islington, where he became the most intractable and dangerous madman confined in that establishment.
In order to account for the disappearance of the doctor from society a sham-death and burial were gone through and an empty coffin, which now reposes in the family vault in a London cemetery, was supposed to contain the mortal remains of a great West-end physician, whose untimely death all London mourned.
None of the keepers knew that the desperate maniac who flung himself from side to side in his padded cell, and made the long night watches hideous with his piercing cries, was the famous "Jack the Ripper."
To them and to the visiting inspectors he was simply known as No. 124.

Source: The Daily Express, Tuesday March 10, 1931, Page 3

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Introduction to the Document

Post by Karen on Thu 31 Mar 2011 - 6:40

This article should have appeared before the two sections that I posted above.

[img][/img]

"HOW I CAUGHT JACK THE RIPPER."
ASTONISHING CLAIM BY CLAIRVOYANT.

SECRET DOCUMENT FOR "DAILY EXPRESS."

The "Daily Express" is to publish an astonishing document, which has long been kept a close secret, and which purports to describe how a clairvoyant solved the mystery of the "Jack the Ripper" crimes and enabled the ferocious murderer to be identified and arrested.

The recent death of Mr. Robert James Lees, the famous spiritualist and clairvoyant, who died in Leicester at the age of eighty-one, will revive and possibly answer the question, "Who was Jack the Ripper?"
It is forty years since the "Ripper" murders terrorised East London. One after the other the bodies of women were found in the hidden courts and alleyways of the Whitechapel district, mutilated beyond description, and always with the same surgical skill.
No official solution has ever been offered for these outrages. Today they are almost forgotten....

RELEASED BY DEATH.

When Mr. Lees died high tributes were paid to him, not only by his spiritualist followers and those who knew him intimately, but by those who had followed his work although disagreeing with his psychic beliefs.
A document was placed in the hands of the "Daily Express" shortly after his death by a close friend who was known to have enjoyed Mr. Lees' complete confidence.
Mr. Lees had left word that the text of this document should not be revealed in this country until after his death. That request was observed.
This document is one of the most remarkable narratives that has ever reached a newspaper office. Point by point, giving time and date and place, the late Mr. Lees tells how, through his clairvoyant powers, he was able to identify "Jack the Ripper" and to lead the police, "like a bloodhound," to the murderer's home, where he was apprehended.
The document, as he dictated it, is an authorised account of the part claimed to have been played by Mr. Lees in this amazing drama.

NO RECORDED ARREST.

The almost incredible aspects of the story and the claims put forward will at once challenge the credulity of the render. The police, as far as records go, never made an arrest. The identity of this man - the terror of Whitechapel for a considerable time - was never revealed, and if he was arrested the fact was not made known to the public.
Yet the mysterious fact remains that at a certain date the murders ceased. The police withdrew their activities and the patrols of hundreds of uniformed and plain clothes constables in the Whitechapel area were no longer seen.
The persistent rumour that the man was a well-known West-end doctor met with such credence that today it is almost accepted as a fact.
Mr. Lees' story of how he tracked down the murderer and the description of the final scene, where the "Ripper" was identified, are so circumstantial that many people may find it impossible to cast them aside as totally incredible.
But if the story is true, why was the identity of the murderer kept secret? This is at once the strong point and the weak point of Mr. Lees' document.

RECEIVED BY THE QUEEN.

It is known that Mr. Lees was received more than once at Buckingham Palace by Queen Victoria, who was interested in his psychic powers. It is known that coincident with the end of this series of Whitechapel murders he was received once more at Buckingham Palace.
The claim is now made that a pledge of secrecy - at which the police, medical men, and other high officials connived - was put on Mr. Lees.
The "Daily Express" publishes this strange document with all reservations. In many ways it should be regarded as fantastic - and yet can anything be more fantastic than the facts which are already known?
Certainly nothing more thrilling on the subject has been given to the world than the story of this remarkable, brilliant man, with his great zeal and faith in his supernatural powers.
The first portion of this document will be published in Monday's "Daily Express."
Will it solve for ever the greatest mystery in British criminology?

Source: The Daily Express, Saturday March 7, 1931, Page 9

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Photo From Leonard Matters

Post by Karen on Fri 1 Apr 2011 - 7:34

This appeared after the document from Lees was published in the "Daily Express" and is in response to the photo of Miller's Court:

JACK THE RIPPER SCENE.

The picture of Millers Court, the scene of the last Jack the Ripper murder, which appeared in the "Daily Express" of March 9, was reproduced from a photograph by Mr. Leonard W. Matters, M.P., author of "The Mystery of Jack the Ripper."

Source: The Daily Express, Friday March 27, 1931, Page 3

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Secret Document Spawned By Lees' Visions

Post by Karen on Sat 30 Jun 2012 - 10:24

JACK THE RIPPER.
How His Identity was First Made Known.

EXPERIENCE OF A CLAIRVOYANT.
He Fixed the Crimes on a London Physician, who is Now in an Asylum.

The story recently told by Dr. Howard, a well-known London physician, to William Greer Harrison of the Bohemian Club in San Francisco, in regard to the fate of Jack the Ripper, unseals the lips of a gentleman in this city, who is enabled to give a full account of that exhaustive search by the London detectives, which, at the conclusion of a year's unremitting labor, resulted in fixing the identity of the infamous Whitechapel murderer beyond the shadow of a doubt.
The Dr. Howard referred to was one of a dozen London physicians who sat as a court of medical inquiry or a commission in lunacy upon their brother physician, for at last it was definitely proved that the dreaded "Jack the Ripper" was no less a person than a physician in high standing living in the West End of London. When it was absolutely proved beyond peradventure that the physician in question was the murderer, and his insanity fully established by a commission de lunatico inquirendo, all parties having knowledge of the facts were sworn to secrecy.
Up to the time of Dr. Howard's disclosure this oath had been rigidly adhered to. A London clubman now in Chicago, who is acquainted with Dr. Howard, is of the opinion that being in a foreign country and, perhaps, under the influence of wine, Dr. Howard has permitted his tongue to wag too freely.
The guilty physician had a passion for inflicting pain upon animals of every sort. He had scarcely been married a month before his wife discovered this mania. In testifying before the commission she gave the following extraordinary evidence:
"One night we were sitting in the drawing-room quite late. I arose to go to bed. When I arrived up stairs I remembered I had left my watch upon the drawing room mantelpiece. I descended the stairs. As I approached the drawing-room I heard the sounds of a cat mewing piteously. Looking through the door I was horrified to see my husband holding the cat over the flame of a moderator lamp. I was too frightened to do anything but retreat up stairs. I discovered later that he had spent almost the whole night burning the cat to death.
"It was quite possible for me, as I studied him closely, to tell when these moods were coming on. On such occasions some apparently trivial act would put me on my guard. In his normal moods he was an excellent husband and father and one of the gentlest and most tractable of men."

Robert James Lees is the gentleman to whom the unfortunates of the East End of London owe their present immunity from attacks of the Ripper. Lees is at present the proprietor of a novel institution for the higher education of workingmen at Peckham, a suburb of London, and resides at 26, the Gardens, Peckham Rye, London, southeast.
In his early years Mr. Lees developed extraordinary clairvoyant power which enabled him to discern, as with the eyes of a seer, things hidden from the comprehension of ordinary men born without this singular gift, and at the time of the first three murders by the Ripper Lees was in the height of his clairvoyant powers. One day he was writing in his study, when he became convinced that the Ripper was about to commit another murder. The whole scene arose before him. He seemed to see a man and a woman walking down the length of Mean street. He followed them in his mind's eye, and saw them enter a narrow court. He saw the man cut the woman's throat and gash the lifeless body horribly with a large knife.
So impressed was he by the vision that he at once went to Scotland Yard and detailed the whole matter to the detectives. By way of humouring one whom they considered a harmless lunatic, the sergeant on duty took down the name of the place where Lees said the crime would be committed and also noted that the clock in a mythical public house had pointed to 12:40 o'clock at the moment when the ripper and his victim had entered the court.
At 11:30 o'clock the following night a woman entered a public house facing the court in question. She was quite under the influence of liquor and the barkeeper refused to serve her. She left the place and was seen by another witness to enter the court again at 12:30 o'clock in company with a man dressed in a dark suit and carrying a light overcoat upon his arm. This was in evidence given before the deputy coroner, who held the inquest on the body of the woman, who had been found in the very spot described by Lees, "with her throat cut from ear to ear, and otherwise indecently and horribly mutilated" - to quote from the Coroner's records.
Lees himself was indescribably shocked when he learned of the murder next day, and removed with his family to the Continent. While he was abroad the Ripper committed four more murders, but Lees had no visions regarding them. Later Lees returned to London, and one day while riding in an omnibus he experienced a renewal of his strange sensations.
The omnibus ascended Nottinghill, stopping at the top, where a man entered. Lees at once experienced a singular sensation. Looking up he perceived that the new passenger was a man of medium size, dressed in a dark suit of Scotch tweed, over which he wore a light overcoat. He had a soft felt hat on his head. Over a year had elapsed since Lees' clairvoyant vision, but the picture of the murderer had been indelibly impressed upon his mind. To his wife he remarked earnestly, "That is Jack the Ripper."
His wife laughed and told him not to be foolish. "I am not mistaken," replied Lees. "I feel it." The 'bus turning into Oxford street at Marble Arch, the man in the light overcoat got out. Lees followed the man down Park Lane. On reaching Apleby House the man jumped into a cab and was driven rapidly down Piccadilly.
That night Lees again received premonitions that the "Ripper" was about to commit another murder and hastened to Scotland Yard. The head inspector listened with a smile of incredulity until Lees told of the victim's ears being severed from her head.
At this the officer drew a postal card from his desk and laid it before his visitor. The card, written in red ink, bore the marks of two bloody fingers. The card read as follows:
"Tomorrow night I shall again take my revenge, claiming from the class of women who have made themselves most obnoxious to me my ninth victim.
"Jack the Ripper.
P.S. - To prove that I am really "Jack the Ripper" I will cut the ears off the ninth victim."

At these words Lees fainted dead away. So impressed was the Inspector that all that day he concentrated his energies upon the problem of how to cover Whitechapel district. By dusk the next day 3,000 constables in citizens' clothes and 1,500 detectives disguised as mechanics were patrolling the courts and alleys of Whitechapel.
Notwithstanding these precautions, "Jack the Ripper" penetrated the cordon, slew his victim and made his escape. One ear was completely severed from her body and the other was hanging from her head by a mere shred. Lees again removed to the Continent. While abroad the Ripper completed his sixteenth murder.
Shortly after that Lees returned to England, where he made the acquaintance of Roland B. Shaw, a mining stock broker of New York, and Fred C. Beckwith of Broadhead, Wis., who was then the financial promoter of an American syndicate in London. The three gentlemen were dining one day in the Criterion when Lees suddenly exclaimed: "Great God! Jack the Ripper has committed another murder!" Shaw looked at his watch and found it was 7:49 o'clock. At 8:10 o'clock a policeman discovered the body of a woman in Crown Court with her throat cut from ear to ear, and her body bearing all the marks of the Ripper's handiwork.
After an earnest appeal from the Inspector Lees consented to try and track the Ripper, much in the same way as a bloodhound pursues a criminal. All that night Lees traversed swiftly the streets of London. The Inspector and his aids followed a few feet behind. At last, at 4 o'clock in the morning, the human bloodhound halted at the gates of a West End mansion. Pointing to an upper chamber where a faint light gleamed, he said: "There is the murderer you are looking for."
"It is impossible," returned the Inspector. "That is the residence of one of the most celebrated physicians in the West End; but, if you will describe to me the interior of the doctor's hall, I will arrest him."
Lees gave the description without hesitation. At 7 o'clock they entered the house and found the room just as described and learned that the doctor was still in bed.
After the examination referred to above the Ripper was removed to a private insane asylum in Islington, and he is now the most intractable and dangerous madman confined in that establishment.
In order to account for the disappearance of the doctor from society a sham death and burial were gone through, and an empty coffin, which now reposes in the family vault at Kensal Green, is supposed to contain the mortal remains of the great West End physician, whose untimely death all London mourned. At the asylum the Ripper is simply known as Thomas Mason, alias No. 124.

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Secret Document Spawned By Lees' Visions

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top