Face of Winifred May Davies
Latest topics
» Why Jesus Is Not God
Mon 17 Apr 2017 - 0:09 by Karen

» The Fourth Reich
Fri 14 Apr 2017 - 14:14 by Karen

» Allah, The Real Serpent of the Garden
Tue 7 Mar 2017 - 11:45 by Karen

Sat 4 Mar 2017 - 12:06 by Karen

» Hillary Clinton (Hillroy Was Here)
Fri 28 Oct 2016 - 17:38 by Karen

» Alien on the Moon
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 21:57 by Karen

» Martian Nonsense Repeats Itself
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 18:43 by Karen

» Enlil and Enki
Fri 7 Oct 2016 - 17:11 by Karen

» Israel Shoots Down Drone - Peter Kucznir's Threat
Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 22:55 by Karen

» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen



Death of Catherine Caldon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Death of Catherine Caldon

Post by Karen on Sun 23 Jan 2011 - 8:48


Ellen Donovan, 24, a married woman, of 2, Enoch-court, Goodman's-yard, Whitechapel, was charged at the Thames police-court on Monday, on suspicion, with having caused the death of Catherine Caldon, it being alleged she struck her on the head with a stick.
Inspector Reid said the prisoner was charged on suspicion with causing the death of her stepmother. It appeared that on Saturday a Mrs. Dodd heard the deceased and the accused quarrelling. Mrs. Dodd afterwards saw the deceased bleeding profusely from the head, and bathed the wound. The prisoner rendered no assistance. Mrs. Dodd went marketing, but when she returned saw deceased sitting at the door. The deceased and prisoner's husband were next seen together. At about two o'clock on Sunday morning the deceased was found sitting in a chair in her room dead. The doctor was called in, but was unable to state the cause of death. There were, however, a large cut on her forehead, and several wounds on her face. Inquiries were made by the police, and Inspector Causby found a broken jug in the room. It was believed that the prisoner struck her stepmother with the jug, and she was arrested. That day he should only give evidence of arrest, and he would then ask for a remand.
Having been then sworn, the inspector said that at 10 o'clock on Sunday night he and Serjeant White arrested the prisoner in Mansell-street, Whitechapel. When told the charge she said, "She was a drunken woman. I had a row with her about a shilling, but I never struck her." When charged at the station she made no reply.
Mr. Saunders remanded the accused, but agreed to accept bail in one surety of 20 pounds.
At the inquest on Wednesday Dr. Alexander Cuff gave the result of the post-mortem examination. He had ascertained that the skull was not fractured. The cause of death was asphyxia from bronchitis. The injuries had nothing to do with death. In the left ear he found a small piece of earthenware. The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical testimony.

Source: Lloyd's Weekly London Newspaper, Sunday November 17, 1889

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum