Face of Winifred May Davies
Latest topics
» Why Jesus Is Not God
Mon 17 Apr 2017 - 0:09 by Karen

» The Fourth Reich
Fri 14 Apr 2017 - 14:14 by Karen

» Allah, The Real Serpent of the Garden
Tue 7 Mar 2017 - 11:45 by Karen

Sat 4 Mar 2017 - 12:06 by Karen

» Hillary Clinton (Hillroy Was Here)
Fri 28 Oct 2016 - 17:38 by Karen

» Alien on the Moon
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 21:57 by Karen

» Martian Nonsense Repeats Itself
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 18:43 by Karen

» Enlil and Enki
Fri 7 Oct 2016 - 17:11 by Karen

» Israel Shoots Down Drone - Peter Kucznir's Threat
Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 22:55 by Karen

» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen



Brutal Murder Of An Elderly Gentleman

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brutal Murder Of An Elderly Gentleman

Post by Karen on Sat 22 Jan 2011 - 13:31



London has been startled today by the discovery of one of the most remarkable murders that has marked the annals of crime for years past. At present it is shrouded in mystery, for so far as the police inquiries go there is an utter absence of motive. The victim was an old man, no less, indeed, than 72 years of age, and the woman who is in custody charged with causing his death is a foreign woman 43 years old. She is, it is believed, an Austrian, although she has spoken of herself as being French. The woman was of a type but too well-known in that part of London, and she had it is said, been accompanied by the old man to her home, where presently, a dispute, having arisen with regard to money matters, the woman, it is alleged, had killed her visitor with a piece of iron used as a poker. In disposing of the body a large chest, such as sailors take to sea with them, was utilised, and on Saturday last this box, with its ghastly contents, was actually removed from the house in safety. Had it not been for the intelligence and promptitude of Mrs. Hutchins, a dweller in the house, whose conduct stands out in strong contrast to that of others who were presumably in possession of the same information, then justice would at least have been delayed, and the shocking discovery of yesterday, if made at all, would have been made in another country.


The accused gives the name of Marie Hermann and she is charged with the murder of an elderly gentleman of independent means, named Charles Anthony Stephens, a retired cab proprietor, of Albany-street, Regent's-park, under circumstances of a very revolting character. Marie Hermann, whose age is stated to be 43 years, lodged at 51, Grafton-street, a thoroughfare turning out of the Tottenham-court-road. The house is let out to a number of sub-tenants, and it would seem from what can so far be ascertained, that a fortnight or so ago the woman Hermann rented and took possession of the back room on the first floor. She brought with her a considerable amount of luggage, including a large trunk, which was destined, as will be seen later on, to play an important part in the foul crime on the suspicion of having committed which she is now under arrest. On Thursday night Hermann came home accompanied by an elderly man. Noises were heard proceeding from the room, and the elderly gentleman was never seen to leave the house by any of the inmates. On Friday morning an inmate of the house went to the sink in the basement, which is used in common by all the lodgers, and there found bloodstains. She at once called the attention of the deputy, a young fellow of 24 or 25, to the condition of the sink, and at the same time mentioned certain suspicions; but he, after making an examination, is stated to have expressed an opinion that there was nothing wrong, so far as he could see.


On Saturday morning Hermann paid a week's rent for her room in lieu of notice, and signified her intention of removing her luggage that day. She did not, however, give any reason why she was going, nor did she indicate the locale of her new abode. In the evening two men came to No. 51, Grafton-street, with a barrow or a cart, and in due course Mrs. Hermann's luggage, including the large trunk, was transferred from the room in which she had resided to the vehicle in question. A halt was eventually made at a house in Upper Marylebone-street, where the luggage was taken off the barrow and conveyed inside. Inspector Reid and Detective-sergeant Kane, D Division, having been informed of these facts, proceeded to No. 51, Grafton-street where bloodstains on the floor and other indications led them to believe that a murder had been committed. The detectives next visited the house in Upper Marylebone-street, numbered 56 on the doorway. Here Hermann had taken a front parlour, in which her belongings had been duly placed.


She, fortunately for the police, was indoors at the time of the visit. Just behind the door leading into the room they discovered the large trunk before mentioned. In it they found the mutilated remains of an elderly gentleman, since identified as those of Mr. Stephens, who was known to have accompanied Hermann to her room in Grafton-street on that fatal Thursday night. It was obvious at a glance that the poor old gentleman had been the victim of a brutal murder. The trunk of the body had been doubled up and then forced into its receptacle. There were a number of ugly scalp wounds, which had evidently been inflicted with some heavy blunt instrument. The injuries were of a terrible character, and death must have been almost instantaneous. Hermann, on being arrested, is said to have made a statement to the police. The body of the deceased was conveyed to the Marylebone mortuary, there to await the inquest, which, it is understood, will probably be held by Dr. George Danford Thomas, the Coroner for Central London and Middlesex tomorrow. The prisoner at the same time was conveyed to the Tottenham-court-road Police Station, where she was formally charged with the murder of a man unknown. The deceased, though advanced in life, was a powerful man.


Mrs. Hutchins has been interviewed, and has given a strange story of the altercation she heard before what is supposed to have been the murder was committed. She says that she heard a noise in Hermann's room as if someone were falling. After a time Mrs. Hutchins was again startled by the sounds of quarrelling from the room below. She proceeds thus: -
"Opening the door I heard a man's voice exclaiming, "Give me my 5 pounds," and then I heard the woman answering, "I settle that account presently." Immediately there was a sound of hammering, and cries of "Murder." Then I heard the man's voice saying, "Get a cab and take me to Albany-street." After that everything was quiet for a time, but by-and-bye I heard Mdme. Hermann's door opening, and she went out and went across to the publichouse. Through the night there were sounds of washing up, and she carried a pail down to the yard to empty more than once. She put it down on the landing once and left it there while she went to the publichouse. I had my suspicions aroused, and in the morning I looked about. I saw where the pail had stood in the passage there was a round ring, and it had a bloody appearance. In the sink in the backyard there was blood and something that looked like brains."


The landlord was informed of these things, it is stated, but he simply had a look at the sink, and remarked that it was nothing. Mdme. Hermann, being spoken to on the subject, said that her "husband," had carried the bucket down and emptied it. Mrs. Hutchins, continuing her story, said that her suspicion had been aroused by the sounds in the room below, especially as she knew there had been a man there, and she had not seen him go. On Saturday morning these suspicions were increased when she learnt that the foreign woman was about to leave the house.


As we say, Mr. Stephens lived in Albany-street, Portland-place. Mr. Bertie Stephens, the son, declares that he believes a great many revelations will be made in the case, and he asserts that his father was such a powerful man that it would require a great deal more than a blow from a woman to knock him down. "My father was well-off," said he, "and always had plenty of money in his pocket, but I cannot say how much he had when he left home on Thursday morning - that was the last time I saw him alive. As he did not return home on the Friday or Saturday my sister and brothers, who lived with my father, became anxious about him, and on the Saturday afternoon, just as I was going to the Albany-street Police-station to make inquiries, a messenger arrived at the house with the intelligence that I was wanted at Tottenham-court-road Police-station, as my father's body was lying there.


Mrs. Hermann's goods were removed from Grafton-street to Upper Marylebone-street by the employees of Mr. Gibbons, a furniture dealer, of Cleveland-street. Having ordered some furniture on Friday night, she asked him to send a man with a horse and cart to take a box to Charing-cross. She wanted to send it by that night's mail train. At Mr. Gibbons's suggestion, she said she would remove the box to Charing-cross on a cab. On Saturday Mrs. Hermann again visited Mr. Gibbons's shop, and asked him to send round a barrow to her rooms in Grafton-street to convey some trunks and boxes to her new abode. A young man and a boy were accordingly despatched early in the afternoon to Mrs. Hermann's. On their arrival this lady asked the boy to go and buy her some rope as she had a very heavy and big box she wanted to cord. The boy did her bidding, and on his return Mrs. Hermann proceeded to cord up the very box in which, some time after, the dead body of Mr. Stephens was discovered.


Some startling developments may certainly be expected. Throughout yesterday the authorities at the Tottenham-court-road Police-station observed the utmost reticence, and persistently refused to give any information whatever on the subject. There is no disguising the fact, though, that they attach the utmost importance to the statement voluntarily made by the prisoner Hermann both at the station and at 56, Upper Marylebone-street, on Saturday night, and rumours have been current in the district that it is believed at headquarters that the accused woman had an accomplice, whose identity has yet to be established and whereabouts ascertained. The inmates of the house in Grafton-street were cautioned at once by the detectives, upon the body of Mr. Stephens being discovered, not to make any statements to the members of the Press.


Considerable interest was manifested in the appearance of the prisoner, Marie Hermann, at the Marlborough-street Police-court this morning. Some half-an-hour prior to the opening of proceedings a crowd, drawn chiefly from the neighbourhood of Grafton and Upper Marylebone streets, assembled outside the Court, and hints were dropped that there was more in the matter than was apparent on the face of it. It was stated in some quarters that the case would be fully dealt with, and that the woman had made a full confession of the crime. This, however, was all surmise, nothing being apparently known to a certainty outside official circles, the greatest reticence in that quarter being observed.


The woman, however, was evidently a well-known character, although prior to Saturday last nothing had been known, or very little, of her previous life. She had been known to the police, so it was said, for several years past, but they had nothing to bring against her. She was described as a quiet woman, apparently of Austrian birth, and between 45 and 50 years of age. She was also well known to many of those resident in Grafton-street, but had been one to make but very few friends. But there were those who did not scruple to characterise the present as being somewhat of another edition of the Wainwright case of past notoriety.


This afternoon the woman Marie Hermann, stated to be an Austrian or German, accused of the murder of Charles Anthony Stephens, of Albany-street, Regent's-park, at Grafton-street, a turning off the Tottenham-court-road, was brought up before Mr. Hannay, at the Marlborough-street Police-court. Considerable interest was taken in the case, and the Court was crowded.
Superintendent Sheppard watched the case on behalf of the police, but the prisoner was undefended, rejecting the legal aid offered her.


Prior to the case being called an Echo reporter learnt from a solicitor, who was at first stated to be defending, that the accused woman had made no confession to the police, as was earlier in the day alleged. On the contrary, she had stated that she had had an altercation with the deceased man, and that a struggle ensued. He had attempted to knock her about, and the injuries to her head, inflicted in self-defence, were the result of this struggle. She denied that she had murdered him, or that robbery was the motive for the assault leading up to the infliction of the fatal injuries. Nothing had been said, however, respecting an accomplice being present, or with what instrument the wounds in the head of the unfortunate gentleman had been caused.


Marie Hermann is a short, dark woman, of apparently between 45 and 50 years of age. When being placed in the dock she was attired in dark brown skirt, black mantle and hat, with black hair, streaked with grey. Her hands were locked together, and she worked them nervously on the front rail.


Inspector Reed, of the D Division, stated that on Saturday he went with P.-S. Kane to 51, Grafton-street, Tottenham-court-road. There he visited the first floor front and back rooms, but found that they were occupied. He, however, obtained admittance easily, as the doors were unfastened. He examined both rooms, and found stains at various parts. Apparently, witness said, they were bloodstains, but there were more in the front than the back room. He, as a result of his investigations, was of opinion that something serious had occurred. Learning that the rooms under examination had only been vacated that day, he went to 56, Upper Marylebone-street. He there found the front door open, and he and Kane went into a room on the first floor. There he found the prisoner. Witness said that he and his companion had just been to 51, Grafton-street, and had seen the rooms which she had lately occupied. "Can you account for the marks of blood in the room?" asked the Inspector, and the prisoner answered, "Yes." Her statement, however, was of such a nature that witness asked for the large trunk which had been noticed when her furniture had been removed from the Grafton-street address. The woman said nothing in reply to this question. She pointed to a spot beneath the foot of the window, but a few seconds later said, "There it is," pointing to another trunk.


Witness then detailed the examination of the trunk. Nothing, however, was found in it of a suspicious nature, it being filled with various articles. Sergeant Kane was then despatched to Grafton-street in order to obtain a witness who could identify the trunk. The last-named officer left the room, but the inspector remained with the prisoner. Shortly afterwards Kane returned, and, referring to the prisoner, said, "This woman, I find, occupied the front room as well as the back." Previous to this, however, the prisoner had stated, in answer to a question from the witness whether she had occupied any other room than that which they were in at Upper Marylebone-street, that she did not occupy any other. But owing to the statement made by Sergeant Kane, the trio - the Inspector, Sergeant, and the prisoner - went into the front room mentioned.


There they found a large trunk, tightly corded, standing behind the door. Prisoner was asked if it was hers, and she said, "Yes." "Have you a key to open it?" asked the inspector, and he was handed a bunch of keys, which the woman was carrying in her hand. It was discovered, however, that no key would fit the lock, and another bunch of keys was asked for, it having been noticed that the prisoner had them in her hand in the back room. She said that they were still in the room, but although they were searched for, they could not be found. Hermann was then told that the officers wished to ascertain what was in the trunk, and that they would break it open. To this she made no reply, and then said to the inspector, "I cut the cords with which it was bound, forced the lock, and raised the lid. A piece of carpet lay on the top, and, on taking this out, I discovered the dead body of a man." Sergeant Kane arrested the prisoner, and witness left the house for assistance. He returned with a cab, and the woman was removed to Tottenham-court-road Station, the trunk and body being removed at the same time. There the prisoner was charged with killing a man unknown at 51, Grafton-street, Tottenham-court-road. The body had since been identified as that of a gentleman named Charles Anthony Stephens, of Albany-street, Regent's-park. Although at first charged with the murder of a man unknown, within a quarter of an hour the identity was established by a son of the deceased.
The prisoner had no questions to ask, and she was remanded for a week.


While the police inspector was detailing the circumstances attendant upon the discovery of the body in the trunk, the box in question was brought into the Court. It is one of the ordinary black japanned boxes, with iron banks crossing it at intervals. It was also clamped with iron at the corners, and fastened in the front with an ordinary spring lock. Some 4ft. 6in. in length, 3ft. in depth, and 2ft. 6in. in width, it must have apparently been a matter of considerable difficulty to force the body of the deceased into so small a compass. The prisoner, as the trunk was carried behind the dock, gave the only indication of emotion noticeable throughout the proceedings. She glanced back, then turned her head away, and her frame shook with a suppressed sob.

Source: The Echo, Monday March 19, 1894

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Brutal Murder Of An Elderly Gentleman

Post by Karen on Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 14:11



The terrible crime at Grafton-street, Euston-road, continues to excite feelings of horror in the district, and, in fact, all through the Metropolis. Yesterday the two houses identified with associations of the accused woman were visited by large numbers of curiosity-mongers. The two houses, 56, Upper Marylebone-street, and 51, Grafton-street, are much alike in structure. The chief interest centres in the latter, although the other is now closely guarded by the police. No. 51 Grafton-street, is rented (says the Standard) by an elderly lady and is managed as a lodging-house by her son-in-law, Mr. Symonds. A fortnight ago the first floor was taken by a little foreign woman, whose name, as she pronounced it, sounded like Hermine or Harmine; the police say her name is Hermann. From the first Mrs. Hutchings, the lodger who so shrewdly tracked the trunk, took a dislike to the new tenant.


On Thursday night the two daughters of Mrs. Hutchings attended a ball at the Grafton Hall, with their sweethearts, and returned home rather later than usual. Passing Hermann's door about 11 o'clock, Mrs. Hutchings heard voices - that of a man and woman; but as Hermann had stated during the day that she expected her husband in the evening, no notice was taken of the matter, except that quarrelling was going on. Words were overheard that convinced Mrs. Hutchings that something was wrong, and that the cause of quarrel was some missing money. "What about that 5 pounds?" said the man. "I will account for that presently," the woman replied. The quarrel continued, and blows were exchanged, followed by a muffled cry, but very lowly, "Oh, do send me to Albany-street." After that all was quiet for a time. The voice of the man sounded as though he was drunk. Feeling sure that all was not right, Mrs. Hutchings watched the new tenant, with the result already known.


Mr. Gibbons, of 111, Cleveland-street, states that his son and one of his men removed Hermann's effects, and carried the trunk and its contents. Previous to the removal of her goods the woman entered his shop on Friday, and bought some chairs and other things to the value of 30s., ordering them to be sent to 56, Great Marylebone-street. As she was leaving she asked Mr. Gibbons if he could send a horse and cart to take a box for her to Charing-cross Station, as she wanted to send it away by that night's mail-train. Gibbons refused to do this, and recommended her to take a cab. On Saturday she called again, and at her request he sent the two men with a trunk to remove some things for her to Great Marylebone-street.


Herbert Gibbons, a youth of 19, states that on arriving at 51, Grafton-street, the woman Hermann conducted him and the other man to her room, where apparently she had been very busy packing. The room was in a state of great disorder, and it was evident that she had been endeavouring to fasten the trunk, as it was bound with rope. She said, "I don't think this rope is strong enough; there is some thick new rope in that corner, which will do better. I want it done carefully, because it contains valuables." The rope referred to lay in one corner of the room, and was about 8 1/2 yards long. They fastened it round the box in a very firm manner. Meanwhile the woman Hermann stood by, superintending the work, and she frequently joked with them. When the packing was completed they endeavoured to remove the trunk, but found it was so heavy that they could not carry it, and they therefore turned it over and over down the stairs. The accused followed them until they had placed the trunk with the other boxes on the barrow. While in the room she said to him and the other man, "Don't let the people here know where you are taking the things to, because they will follow me, and they get all my money when I am boozed. I want you to hurry, though, for I expect my husband tonight, and I want to get straight."


The accused did not follow them while they were conveying the things to Upper Marylebone-street, but she came to them there while they were carrying the things in. She asked young Gibbons if he could stay for a short time to assist her to put the pictures up, and promised to pay him 2s. for doing so. He complied, and they had almost got the place "straight" when a sharp rap was heard at the front door. Gibbons went down to open the door, and upon doing so saw Detective-sergeant Kane, who asked him if the woman Hermann lived there. Before Gibbons could reply the sergeant said, "Oh, yes; it is all right, I can hear her," and he then went into the room, followed by Inspector Reid. Gibbons showed the trunk to the officers at their request, and when the police asked what it contained, the accused replied, in broken English, "What is that to do with you?" Sergeant Kane repeated the question, and again received the same reply.


Inspector Reid left the room for a moment and returned with a chopper, with which he forced open the box. A red tablecloth lay on the top. Sergeant Kane lifted it off, and underneath lay the body of a man. He was lying on his back, and his legs were bent back over his head. The police-officers then arrested the woman, who made no reply when charged with the murder. The police also told Gibbons to consider himself in custody, and Hermann said: - "Don't take him; he knows nothing about it; he was only assisting me to fasten the box up." When the tablecloth was lifted from the body of the dead man the woman did not display the slightest emotion. At the station, when the charge was read to her, she laughed and said: - "Oh! It is all right; give me a glass of beer," and continued to laugh and joke for some time. Gibbons was detained at the police-station until 11:30 that night, when he was released.


Dr. Lloyd, the police divisional surgeon, who has made an examination of the deceased, says that all the wounds were of a nature calculated to result in very profuse bleeding. He thinks that had there been a fracture of the skull, death would have almost immediately followed; but if there was no fracture the injured man might have lingered for hours, eventually expiring from hemorrhage and shock. The latter theory is supported by a statement that in the early hours of Friday morning Mrs. Hutchings saw Hermann go out and fetch some brandy, possibly with a view to restoring animation to her victim. Dr. Lloyd found the body of the deceased to be in very fine physical condition, considering the man's advanced age. The medical men are agreed that the wounds must have been inflicted by some heavy, blunt instrument.


Dr. Lloyd has made a close inspection of the rooms which Hermann occupied in Grafton-street, and he is said to be convinced from what he saw that the murder was committed in the front room, which was used as a sitting-room. The doctor discovered that the blood from the murdered man has spurted on to a little cupboard near the fireplace, while more blood and some grey hairs were found on the mantlepiece, at a height of two and a-half feet from the ground. On the brass handle of the folding door communicating with the bedchamber at the back Dr. Lloyd again found blood smears, and bloodstains were also found on the woodwork immediately around the handle. He saw no bloodstains in the bedroom. One portion of the carpet in the front room was badly stained with paraffin oil, which had apparently been upset over it.


It is stated that Hermann made a confession to the policemen who apprehended her, to the effect that she killed the old man by striking him several blows on the head with a poker. She added that she met him in Euston-road on the Thursday, that he accompanied her home to Grafton-street, and that there a violent dispute occurred over money matters, which culminated in her perpetrating the murder. Her statement was taken down in writing by Inspector Reid.

Source: The Echo, Tuesday March 20, 1894

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Brutal Murder Of An Elderly Gentleman

Post by Karen on Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 16:28



The trial of Marie Hermann on a charge of murdering Charles Anthony Stephens, a retired cab proprietor, at a house in Grafton-street on March 15th, was continued at the Old Bailey today, before Mr. Justice Wills. Mr. C. Matthews, Mr. Bodkin, and Mr. Hewitt prosecuted, and Mr. Marshall Hall and Mr. Paul Taylor defended. The attendance of spectators indicated that great interest is being taken in the case.


At the opening of the case there was an incident of an unusual character. Before the first witness for the day entered the box to give evidence the prisoner was seized with faintness. She was supplied with water, and shortly after resumed her ordinary composure, but appeared very ill.


Inspector Reid deposed to visiting the house in Upper Marylebone-street, with Sergeant Kane, at the time of the arrest. He saw the trunk opened, and the deceased discovered in it. Witness further stated that he saw a thimble on the body when the trunk was opened.
Mr. Marshall Hall then cross-examined the witness, and asked him - "When you went to Upper Marylebone-street this woman was in a very excited and drunken state? - She had been drinking.
When you searched the premises at Upper Marylebone-street did you find much linen? - No. She asked for several things that could not be found.
Did four men lift the body from the box? - Yes.
And did a large quantity of blood come from the head? - Yes.
Assuming the man, either dead or practically dead, was lifted into the trunk in a sitting position, do you think the prisoner could do it unaided? - My opinion is that she could not.
The man weighed 15 1/2 stone, and it is more difficult to lift a dead person than a live one? - Yes.
In answer to Mr. Bodkin the witness said he had not tested prisoner's strength in any way.


Detective-sergeant Kane deposed that he went to the prisoner's rooms in Upper Marylebone-street, and told her he was going to search her premises. Having found the body he arrested the prisoner. She then called his attention to her neck, but witness could see no marks. It was, however, nearly dark at the time. When charged at the police-station the accused, pointing to Mrs. Bricknell, said, "This woman did help me. She brought me up the water, and I gave her a sovereign for it. She had five or six drinks, and you will find the bottle from the Grafton in her room now." Mrs. Bricknell, who was present, exclaimed, "You're a liar!" The deceased's shirt was torn away at the neck, and appeared to be covered with blood. Prisoner had been in England about eleven years.
By Mr. Hall - The first words she uttered when the box was opened were, "I'll tell the truth. The man tried to strangle me."
So far as you can ascertain, are the explanations made by the woman absolutely correct in every detail? - Absolutely.
Has the woman stuck all through to the two explanations and to the story that Mrs. Bricknell helped her? - Yes.
Was the only interruption this woman made to the defence that Mr. Newton was conducting at the magistrate's Court when she turned round to Mrs. Bricknell and said, "You did help me to put this man in the box?" - Yes.
In your opinion is it absolutely impossible that the woman could have put the deceased in the box without assistance? - It is absolutely impossible.
I do not wish you to mention the name, but is it a fact that on the day this woman was arrested a man called at Grafton-street? - Yes.
Has he been to the Treasury and made a statement? - Yes, he made a statement to an officer engaged in the case.
So far as your inquiries go, is it a fact that for the last eleven years this man has visited her regularly? - Yes.
He is a thoroughly respectable man - I mean a man of position? - Yes.
The Judge - I cannot acknowledge that -------
Mr. Hall - I mean he is a man in a respectable position.
The Judge - Has she occupation of any kind?
Witness - No, my lord.
Inspector Towers then gave evidence.


The female searcher at Tottenham-court-road police-station stated that she examined the prisoner at the station shortly after the arrest, and was unable to find any marks on her throat.
The Judge suggested that the throat might have been seized, and not come out till after.
Jessie Cooper, searcher at Marylebone-street Police-station, also gave evidence.
A wardress at Holloway Prison stated that when prisoner was first received there she examined her. The prisoner weighed 108lb. then. This morning she weighed 122lb.


Matilda Clara Bricknell, of Grafton-street, stated that she occupied the rooms below prisoner's in the house at Grafton-street. On Thursday, the 15th of March, prisoner said she was going to see her husband. That night she heard someone walking about overhead, but nothing more. Next morning witness had her attention called to the blood in the sink in the back yard, and she swept it up. Witness saw the prisoner next morning. She said she had been very ill all night. She was in a dreadful temper. Witness asked her where the blood came from in the sink. She said her husband, who went away early, had poured it down. She appeared to have been drinking. On the Saturday the prisoner came to witness's door and said she felt very bad, and wanted some brandy, and witness got some for her. Witness did not see the dead body of an old man on either the Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. She did not on any occasion assist to put the body of the old man in the trunk. She did not on any occasion receive a sovereign from the prisoner. She did not assist her in cording the box. She did not assist to clear up any blood-stains in the prisoner's room, or empty water and blood down the sink in the back yard.
The Court then adjourned for luncheon.


On resuming, the witness was cross-examined. She said that she heard nothing during the night of the 15th March beyond someone moving about. It was untrue that she was drinking with the prisoner on the morning of the 16th in the Yorkshire Grey. It was also untrue that she had helped the prisoner to clean up the blood. She had never seen the body of the deceased. It was absolutely untrue that she helped the prisoner to put the body into the box. The thimble produced, and which was found in the box, was not dropped there by her. It did not fit her and was not hers.
Witness was subjected to a severe cross-examination, but denied positively the allegations of the prisoner.
The Prisoner - You did help me.
Cross-examination continued - The prisoner gave her a number of articles before she left, because they were not worth her while to take away.
P.C. Allwright brought the woodwork of the cupboard of prisoner's front room at the house in Grafton-street into Court, and the Judge and jury inspected it.
Sergeant Kane, recalled, said he had been to the Yorkshire Grey, and the barmaid remembered the incident of the prisoner's visit, and she described a woman who was with the prisoner.


Dr. Winter, of Holloway Jail, described the marks he found on the prisoner's neck and head when he examined her on the 21st March. The marks on the neck were from four to six days old, and in his opinion could hardly have been self-inflicted. Considerable force must have been used.

Source: The Echo, Friday June 1, 1894

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Brutal Murder Of An Elderly Gentleman

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum