» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen

Links

Gallery

Lipski Redivivus

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lipski Redivivus

Post by Karen on Sat 23 Oct 2010 - 6:15

The following is interesting considering the "Lipski" comment made from Broad-Shouldered Man to Pipe Man:

Like, we suppose, most other papers, we have received letters from "Jack the Ripper" and from Lipski Redivivus, but unlike some of our contemporaries which hunger and thirst after sensations, we treat such letters with contempt, and we should not now refer to the matter but to show how easily some papers are "hoaxed," or how low they will stoop for momentary notoriety.

Bloodhounds that have been trained specially to act in the streets of London are not at all so uncommon as is supposed, and Sir Charles Warren is finding no difficulty in getting just what he wants in this line. On the minds of those who are best acquainted with the scenes of the late murders, the conviction is gaining that unless the miscreant who killed the poor women commits another murder he will never be caught.

Should he, however, achieve another crime, the bloodhounds should be ready to be "laid on" before the body of the murdered person is removed, and at least two hounds should be put on the scent at once. If possible, they should be kept a little underfed while at the police station, and their masters should be at hand constantly to direct their efforts intelligently. A good bloodhound would probably prove worth fifty policemen.

Really, the murderer ought to be caught now. One paper publishes his portrait, Sir Charles Warren has begun training bloodhounds, and the Christian Instruction Society are to hold a prayer-meeting about him at noon on Monday at the Young Men's Christian Association, Aldersgate-street. Dr. Tyler and the Rev. Owen Evans will give brief addresses at the Aldersgate-street meeting.

A STRANGE OMISSION.

TO THE EDITOR OF THE ECHO.

SIR, - I think, in common with all the female inhabitants of the Metropolis, I have a right to complain of a sensational morning paper. Why, while its artistic young man was sketching the Whitechapel murderer, did they not send for a constable or two, and give him into custody. I assume, of course, that the "likenesses" are real, for otherwise they would be a gross insult to an intelligent public. It is true that the "likeness" published by the same paper very nearly enabled Lefroy to escape, so completely unlike him was it in every respect. But I take it that this time the murderer has really been to Peterborough Court.
Now, Sir, could it have been part of the compact with the gentleman that if he would allow himself to be sketched he should not be given up? Or did he leave - with that horrified look which is depicted on his face in one of the drawings - on finding he was to be paid by cheque instead of cash, before a policeman could be sent for?
I certainly think that it was a strange omission on the part of the proprietors of the sheet in question to have no policeman ready to meet the murderer, and I hope that they have at any rate arranged that, now he is scot-free once more, he will commit no fresh outrages. - Yours respectfully,
A FRIGHTENED WOMAN.

Note: I wonder if it ever occurred to this woman that the police may have rendered the sketch from the description given to them by a witness?

Source: The Echo, Saturday October 6, 1888, Page 2

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum