» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen

Links

Gallery

Jane Beatmoor

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jane Beatmoor

Post by Karen on Wed 20 Oct 2010 - 19:55

Considerable excitement has been aroused in North Durham by the discovery of the body of a woman, Jane Beatmoor, at Birtley Fell, near Gateshead, the wounds inflicted on her being very similar to those found on the two persons last murdered in Whitechapel. The body was found by a miner, John Fish, at the bottom of a railway embankment in a ditch by the side of a wagon way. The immediate cause of death was a deep wound in the left cheek from a long and sharp instrument passing almost through the neck, and completely severing the spinal cord. The abdomen had, moreover, been horribly mutilated. The deceased lived about a quarter of a mile off with her stepfather, a miner, and her mother, who worked as a farm labourer, the young woman herself remaining at home to attend to the household work. Being in ill health she had gone on Saturday to the Gateshead Dispensary for medicine; and on returning home she went out to purchase some sweets with which to take her medicine. She called at several farms while she was out, and at half-past seven at night she left the house of an acquaintance named Mrs. Newall, evidently with the intention of returning home. She had not arrived at eleven o'clock, and her mother and stepfather went to look for her, without success, and concluded that she must have spent the night with some neighbour. The similarity between this and the Whitechapel murders led many at first to suppose that the Whitechapel supposed lunatic was now pursuing his avocation in the north. However, attention is now directed to the absconding of a young man lodging in the neighbourhood, named Waddle, employed at the Birtley Iron Works, who was the young woman's sweetheart. Waddle has not been seen since Saturday. As yet, however, the belief that Beatmoor may have been killed by her sweetheart is not supported by any tangible evidence, but rests entirely on the suspicion aroused by his mysterious disappearance at the very time of the murder. As to the Whitechapel murders, no further clue has been found. On Saturday the inquest on the body of Mary Ann Nicholls, who was found murdered in Whitechapel on the 1st inst., was concluded. The jury returned a verdict of wilful murder against some person or persons unknown, adding a rider to the effect that a mortuary was necessary in the neighbourhood.

A man has been arrested on suspicion of being connected with the murder of an old lady, Mrs. Wright, when alone in her own house in Canonbury, in May last. A detective gave evidence at Clerkenwell police-court on Friday that he had arrested Henry Glennie, aged twenty-four, a hot-water fitter, the day before, and, showing him a carpet bag, had said, "This is the bag that was dropped by a man who was seen running away from Canonbury-terrace. I have obtained information that this bag belongs to you." Thereupon Glennie became very pale and agitated, and, after hesitating, said, "Well, I admit that it is my bag - or rather it was mine. I sold it with some tools to a man in the Star and Garter public-house, Caledonian-road. I don't know who he is, or how much I sold them for." When he was charged formally at the station with having been concerned in the murder he made no reply. A carman, called Jones, said that Glennie very much resembled a man whom he saw on the Wednesday of the murder walking down Canonbury-terrace with bag on his shoulder. A remand was directed by the magistrate.

Exciting rumours as to a desperate outrage upon a woman in Piccadilly were circulated widely in the West-end on Friday. It appeared that a woman named Adelaide Rogers ran out of Down-street, Piccadilly, shortly after two o'clock in the morning, bleeding from a wound upon the right cheek, which she stated was the result of a stab. She was removed to St. George's Hospital, but she was not in any serious danger, and the police question whether the wound was not inflicted with stick rather than a knife.

Source: The Guardian, September 26, 1888, Page 1419

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"
Karen
Admin

View user profile http://victorianripper.niceboard.org

Back to top Go down

Waddle To Be Arrested

Post by Karen on Sun 24 Oct 2010 - 4:12

GATESHEAD TRAGEDY.
THE VICTIM'S LOVER MISSING.

LONDON OFFICER INVESTIGATING.
RESEMBLANCE TO THE WHITECHAPEL CRIME.

It is impossible to adequately describe the excitement which prevails in Birtley and the surrounding district. A terror seems to have seized the little village, and to have paralysed its ordinary energy. Further particulars by no means diminish the fiendish brutality of the crime, and the circumstances disclosed are sufficient justification for the thought which was uppermost in everybody's mind when the news first became known, that the Whitechapel murderer had been at work. The local police, however, cast their suspicions upon a man who is an ironworker at Birtley, who for some time past has been, it is said, endeavouring to force his attentions upon the deceased. This man was very seldom seen in Beetmoor's company, and certainly no one saw him on Saturday night. He has, however, absconded, and the police in all parts of the country have been furnished with his description. He is described as a man about 5ft. 9in. in height, with a sallow complexion, high cheek bones, and generally sharp features. He has a slouching, stooping gait, and a furtive expression. No reason can be assigned to suggest why he should have committed the outrage upon the unfortunate girl; but the police are anxiously searching for him, and the circumstances of his departure in connection with the murder are regarded as rendering his disappearance suspicious.

SEARCHING THE PITSHAFTS.

The most vigilant search so far, however, has failed even to discover the slightest trace of him. There is now an impression that if he has been guilty of the terrible crime he may also have taken his own life, and acting on this theory the police are making an investigation of some disused pitshafts in the neighbourhood, in which he may have committed suicide. As yet, however, the belief that Beetmoor may have been killed by her sweetheart is not supported by any tangible evidence, but rests entirely on the suspicion aroused by his mysterious disappearance at the very time of the murder. A search has also been made by the police for the weapon with which the murder must have been committed, but without result.

"THE WHITECHAPEL THEORY" NOT ABANDONED.

The police in the neighbourhood have not abandoned the theory that the Whitechapel murderer may have continued his dreadful work there. Dr. Phillips, who made the post-mortem examination of the body of Annie Chapman, the victim of the last Whitechapel murder, is today in Durham in connection with the crime. He has examined the body of the young woman with a view to ascertaining whether the injuries inflicted on her resemble those inflicted on the Whitechapel victim. Inspector Roots, of the Criminal Investigation Department, also left London last evening for Durham with the object of ascertaining whether any of the facts connected with the murder of Jane Beetmoor on Saturday night are likely to be serviceable in elucidating the Whitechapel mysteries.

LATER DETAILS.

DR. PHILLIPS'S EXAMINATION.

A Newcastle-on-Tyne Correspondent telegraphs: - Dr. Phillips, of Scotland-yard, this morning met Colonel W. White, Chief Constable of the county of Durham, and Superintendent Harrison, of the Birtley district, and visited the scene of the murder. The body of the deceased was examined by Dr. Phillips, but the result of the examination has not transpired. The work of exploring the old pit shafts in the neighbourhood continues, the police being assisted by several miners. The impression gains ground that Waddle, or Tweddle, the supposed murderer, may have committed suicide. Search for the knife or other weapon is also being continued.

THE SWEETHEART TO BE ARRESTED.

A Newcastle telegram states that the police issued notices today for the apprehension of a young man named Waddle, the sweetheart of the murdered woman at Birtley, and who has disappeared from the district since the tragedy.

HORRIBLE WIFE MURDER.

A verdict of "Wilful murder" was returned this morning at the inquest, against George Nicholson, a journeyman baker, of Aston, Birmingham, for the brutal murder of his wife. The prisoner deliberately smashed the deceased's head in with an axe, took her watch and chain, pawned it, and with the proceeds made off to Walsall, where he was arrested on Sunday. Prisoner had been heard to say, "I'll make a Whitechapel job of her."

Source: The Echo, Tuesday September 25, 1888, Page 3

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Beetmore Had Had 2 Children

Post by Karen on Sun 7 Nov 2010 - 13:57

REVOLTING TRAGEDY NEAR GATESHEAD.

HAS THE EAST-END MURDERER GONE NORTH?

Has the Whitechapel murderer gone to the North of England? This is a question which has been suggested by a terrible tragedy reported today from Birtley, a little place near Gateshead. The victim of this crime is a young woman named Beetmore. It appears that she was in delicate health, and had been to the Gateshead Dispensary on Saturday for medicine, and that on the road home she called at several farms. At half-past seven o'clock she left the house of an acquaintance, Mrs. Newall, evidently with the intention of returning home. She had not arrived at eleven o'clock, and her mother and stepfather, with whom she lived, went to look for her. Not finding her, they concluded that she must have passed the night at some neighbour's house. Early yesterday morning, however, a miner named John Fish, going to work, found the body of the young woman at the bottom of a railway embankment in a horribly mutilated condition. She had then evidently been dead for some hours.

THE MURDERER'S HORRIBLE DETERMINATION.

The murderer had completed his work with horrible determination. The unfortunate woman was stabbed in three places - once in the bowels, and twice in the face. The wound in the stomach was very deep, the knife having knocked a piece off the backbone. On a doctor examining the victim, he discovered that the lower part of the body had been cut sufficiently to enable the entrails to be torn out. It would appear that the young woman had endeavoured to ward off the blows, for even in death her arms were held before her face. Her clothing was saturated with blood; but there was little or none upon the ground. There were no marks of a struggle, and no trace of footsteps. The horrible ferocity of the murderer and the resemblance it bears to the Whitechapel crimes - encouraging, as it does, the idea that the East-end murderer may have migrated to the district - has caused quite a terror in the neighbourhood, which has, of course, been increased by the absence of any clue and the manner in which the police have been baffled.

THE VICTIM'S ANTECEDENTS.

The father of the deceased is a miner, and the mother is accustomed to work as a farm labourer, the young woman herself remaining at home to attend to the household work. She had not a stainless reputation, having had two illegitimate children. Her own name was Jane Beetmore, but, as is the custom in the neighbourhood, she adopted the name of her stepfather, who is held in considerable estimation by his neighbours.

ANOTHER ACCOUNT.

A reporter here this morning sent another account of the terrible crime: - The victim was a young woman named Beetmore, more commonly known in the district as Jane Savage. She resided with her parents at a place called Whitehouse, near Northside, situate on the dreary tract of country known as Birtley Fell. Her mother, with whom she lived, was married a second time, her present husband being one Joseph Savage, and by her stepfather's name, Jane Beetmore was more commonly known, being, indeed, always spoken of by the neighbours and her acquaintances as Jane Savage. Mr. Savage follows the calling of a miner, and is a sober, industrious workman, who is respected by all his neighbours. His stepdaughter also was of a quiet, inoffensive nature, and was generally liked.

WHEN LAST SEEN ALIVE.

For some time past she had been in weak health, and had been visiting the Gateshead Dispensary, where she had received medicine from time to time. On Saturday she visited the infirmary, and returned home in the afternoon. In the evening she started on a visit to a neighbouring farm, and called on the way at the Moor Inn, near Birtley, where sweetstuffs and general stores are kept. She purchased some sweets and resumed her journey. She was last seen alive on her way to the farm about eight o'clock, and several persons state that she was in the company of a young man. As she did not return up to eleven o'clock, Mr. and Mrs. Savage became anxious about her, and at that hour went out in search of her, but returned without ascertaining any tidings. They consoled themselves with the thought that perhaps she had stayed overnight with some neighbour, and they retired to rest.

WHERE THE CRIME WAS COMMITTED.

About seven o'clock yesterday morning, a fitter, named John Fish, employed at Ouston Colliery, was proceeding along the wagon-way from Pit Houses, Black Fell, when, at a point known as Sandy Cut, he suddenly came upon the body of the missing woman. The place at which the body was found is a dreary-looking spot, and one in which a foul deed might be perpetrated with little fear of detection or interruption. The wagon way is used for the carriage of coal from Ouston Colliery to shipping spouts near Bill Quay, and, dreary as is the region which it crosses, no place is more dreary than the locality where the body of the unfortunate woman was found. The body lay about three or four feet from the line, the head being in a gutter about nine or ten inches deep. The young woman's legs were pointed towards the line. The body leaned partly on the left, and on the right side of the throat, just below the ear, a frightful gash was visible. Police-constable Dodds, stationed at Eighton Banks, about a mile distant, was at once sent for, and the body was removed to the deceased's house. Dr. Galloway, Wrekenton, being, meanwhile summoned. Dr. Galloway, having found that life was extinct, the house was securely locked up, and the occupants transferred themselves to a neighbouring dwelling.

POLICE HAVE A CLUE.

The Press Association's Newcastle Correspondent telegraphing this afternoon, says that the police are looking for a man who was employed at one of the local ironworks, with whom deceased had been keeping company. He disappeared on the night of the murder, and has not been seen since. A search is being made today in the field in which the body was found for a knife or other weapon with which the deed may have been committed. The attitude in which the corpse was found was such as to indicate that the woman had been seized with sudden alarm. The palms of her hands being stretched out and close to each other. An inquest was formally opened this morning, and adjourned for a fortnight.

Source: The Echo, Monday September 24, 1888, Page 3

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Jane Beatmoor

Post by Karen on Sun 8 May 2011 - 3:02

THE MURDERER'S CONFESSION.

The Press Association's Durham Correspondent states that the details of Waddell's confession of the murder of Jane Beardmore, at Birtley, on Sept. 22nd, have transpired today. It is stated that Dean (Dr.) Lake, applied for admission to see the prisoner on Thursday last, but the Governor of the jail refused to admit him. He, however, telegraphed to the Home Secretary from York, where he was on Saturday, and permission was at once given. Accompanied by the prisoner's chaplain, the Rev. M. Fletcher, Dr. Lake visited the condemned cell on Sunday afternoon. The condemned man, who had shown little feeling when he bade farewell to his brother Thomas and his only sister on Saturday, on the entrance of his visitors on Sunday displayed the strongest emotion. In a broken voice he said he did not know what could have possessed him to do such a thing, as he was about the last man to raise his hand to a woman. Dr. Lake, placing his hand upon the shoulder of the condemned man, said, "My poor man, you had better make a clean breast of it. You will feel great relief from unburdening your conscience." Waddell responded, "Yes, Sir, I did it." Dr. Lake asked, "Whatever could have possessed you to perpetrate such a crime?" Waddell replied, in a voice broken by emotion - "I had been drinking all the afternoon, and Jane Beardmore came down from the farm-house." What farm-house he referred to could only be surmised. His voice was so broken by his agitation that only a portion of what he said could be understood by those around him. He gave no details, and his agitation was so painful that those present closed the interview. The Dean, however, promised that he would visit him on Monday, when he expected to find him more composed and ready to enter into details. The condemned man will be hanged tomorrow morning.
This is an extract from the letter which the man Waddle, who is to be executed tomorrow morning for the murder of a woman at Birtley Fell - and who is said to have confessed the crime - wrote to his brother. The letter is dated, "H.M. Prison, Durham." - "Dear Brother, you must not trouble yourself too much about me, as it may be for the best. The Lord knows what is best for us, so I will leave it all in His hands, for I am happy to tell you that I have made my peace with God, and if I die I know I am going to a better place, where no sorrow ever comes, and I hope to meet you all there by-and-by, for I can trust all to the Lord now, and He will hold me up.
"Dear Brother, I must tell you that I am very happy now since that I gave my heart to God, and found in Him a Saviour, for "the Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want." I shall not be afraid to die and leave this unhappy world, as it is nothing but a world of sin and sorrow, and there is nothing good in it."

Source: The Echo, Monday December 17, 1888, Page 3

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Committed By Anatomist

Post by Karen on Fri 8 Jul 2011 - 19:25

THE WHITECHAPEL MURDERS.

At the inquest held on the body of the unfortunate woman murdered at Birtley, County Durham, the coroner expressed the opinion that this and the murders which had taken place in Whitechapel had been committed by an anatomist, who was desirous of obtaining the organs of his victims for exhibition for medical purposes for the United States.

Source: South Australian Register, Friday 28 September 1888, page 6

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Jane Beatmoor

Post by Karen on Tue 3 Jul 2012 - 23:26

ITEMS OF NEWS.
HOME.

A young woman of Birtley, near Gateshead, was found dead on Saturday night, having been stabbed in three places and mutilated. She had left her home for a short time on an errand.
The adjourned inquest respecting the Buck's-row murder, the third of the four recent crimes of which unfortunate women have been the victims in Whitechapel, was resumed and concluded before Mr. Wynne Baxter on Saturday. The coroner summed up the evidence and indicated the points of resemblance in the four cases. The jury returned a verdict of "Wilful murder against some person or persons unknown."

Source: The Nonconformist and Independent, September 27, 1888, Page 930

Karen Trenouth
Karen
Admin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top