Face of Winifred May Davies
Latest topics
» Why Jesus Is Not God
Mon 17 Apr 2017 - 0:09 by Karen

» The Fourth Reich
Fri 14 Apr 2017 - 14:14 by Karen

» Allah, The Real Serpent of the Garden
Tue 7 Mar 2017 - 11:45 by Karen

Sat 4 Mar 2017 - 12:06 by Karen

» Hillary Clinton (Hillroy Was Here)
Fri 28 Oct 2016 - 17:38 by Karen

» Alien on the Moon
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 21:57 by Karen

» Martian Nonsense Repeats Itself
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 18:43 by Karen

» Enlil and Enki
Fri 7 Oct 2016 - 17:11 by Karen

» Israel Shoots Down Drone - Peter Kucznir's Threat
Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 22:55 by Karen

» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen



Suspects Arrested For Mackenzie's Murder

Go down

Suspects Arrested For Mackenzie's Murder

Post by Karen on Wed 13 Oct 2010 - 18:15


Some of our contemporaries are already beginning to scold Mr. Munro and the police in general because the Whitechapel murderer has not been caught red-handed. The warning letter from "Jack the Ripper" should have redoubled the vigilance of every inspector, and Mr. Munro is curtly informed that the public expect the police to detect crime if they cannot prevent it. All this has been said before, and will no doubt be said again, for when crime remains undetected the first impulse of human nature is to relieve itself by a hearty flow of strong language. As we cannot reach the murderer let us abuse the police for having failed to catch him - such is the impatient cry of the man in the street, and he will, no doubt, be pleased to see his view of the matter reflected in some of the newspapers. But this view is an unreasonable one. As we have more than once pointed out, such murders as those of Whitechapel are the easiest to commit. They are perpetrated at an hour when very few people are about, but yet sufficient night prowlers to make the appearance of a man and woman quite an ordinary occurrence. They are perpetrated under circumstances in which the woman contributes to her own destruction, by leading her companion to a dark corner, and eluding the observation of the policeman on duty. They are perpetrated by a miscreant who is an expert in the use of the knife, and who does not require more than a few seconds for both murder and mutilation. When once his back is turned from his victim there is nothing to excite suspicion in his appearance, and as most of these atrocities occur in some short street or court he has only to turn round the corner, and he is sure of getting away. The Chief Commissioner of Police, in his latest report, complains that the police have been so concentrated upon Whitechapel that other districts have been left comparatively unprotected; but to satisfy the demands of some of our contemporaries, it would be necessary for all London to go unprotected until the Whitechapel murderer was caught. We cannot plant a couple of constables in every court and alley in Whitechapel; and, if we did, it is morally certain that the miscreant would select another sphere of operations. It is now some months since the seventh murder took place, and in all probability the perpetrator has been absent from London in the interval. Should he ever be caught the chances are that he will prove to be a man accustomed to the sea, whose health has been ruined by a dissolute life, and who, in consequence, is possessed by a morbid passion for vengeance upon women in general.

During this time of the year, hundreds of people sleep in the open air in London, and many of them make beds of the seats on the Thames Embankment. The murder in Whitechapel on Monday night last has moved the police to make more stringent regulations. Now poor people who would sleep in the streets are told to "Move on!" Yes, but where shall they move to?




Alice Mackenzie is the name of the last victim of the fiendish miscreant who has made that quarter of Whitechapel surrounding Commercial-road, Whitechapel-road, and Hanbury-street, his terrible hunting-ground. She was apparently not one of the same class from whom the murderer had selected his previous victims. She was living with a man not her husband - a porter named John M'Cormack - but she cannot, though apparently addicted to liquor, be classed in the same category as the miserable women whose lives the monster had previously taken.


Alice Mackenzie was a native of Peterborough. She was about forty years of age, had been married, and had children, but for the last six or seven years had cohabited with John M'Cormack, a porter. They had lived in the neighbourhood of Spitalfields for the past eighteen months, a part of the time in a furnished room, and latterly as the occupants of a "double" bed, at 8d. per night, in Gun-street, at a common lodging-house. M'Cormack, who is much distressed by the fate which has befallen his companion defends her memory from the imputation that she had obtained her bread by what is known as "a gay life," and, on the other hand, he avers that she worked hard as a charwoman, and was never out late at night. Yesterday it was an exception to the rule when she left him in bed at the lodging-house in Gun-street, with 1s. 8d. in her possession, which he had given her to pay for the bed and to spend the rest as she pleased for necessaries. The couple had had "words" together, which had upset the woman, and she appears to have quitted the lodging-house between eight and nine o'clock, without her bonnet, according to her custom, and wearing a light shawl.


She passed through the kitchen silently and sullenly, giving the deputy the impression that she was much the worse for drink. She did not pay 8d. for the bed, but walked into the street and did not again return. M'Cormack two hours later woke up from his sleep, went downstairs, and asked the woman in charge of the common lodging-house whether his "old woman" had given her the 8d., and, on her replying in the negative, he demanded "What am I to do? Am I to walk the streets, too?" and the deputy replied "No," stretching a point in his favour, as the rule is to pay for beds in advance. Elizabeth Ryder, the deputy in question, stopped up until half-past three a.m., an hour-and-a-half after the place closed, waiting for Mackenzie and another woman, called "Mogg Cheeks," who, curiously enough, did not come back to sleep as usual.


In the meantime the woman Mackenzie must have frequented the public-houses of the locality, for nothing was seen or heard of her in the streets until half-past eleven o'clock, when she was seen by Margaret Franklin. This woman, a plainly-clad, strong, pleasant-featured person, stated she had been acquainted with the deceased for many years. She had always been known to her by the name of Alice Bryant, and she believed that she lived with a man of that name. On that point, however, she is not quite positive. On Tuesday night she was sitting with two other women, named Catherine Hughes and Sarah Mahoney, on some steps in front of a barber's shop at the Brick-lane end of Flower and Dean-street, about half-past eleven o'clock, when the murdered woman passed by, walking hurriedly. Witness shouted out, "Hulloa, Alice!" to which the deceased replied, "I can't stop." She was by herself, and was going then in the directions of Whitechapel. She stopped, although she had said she was in a hurry, and exchanged a few words with them, then leaving them and walking on. The woman then seemed to be in her usual cheerful condition, and, to all appearance, she was not the worse for drink. Nothing more was seen of her until her body was discovered at ten minutes to one o'clock next morning.


The man who was arrested in Commercial-street last night, shortly before midnight, on suspicion of being the murderer, and conveyed to the Commercial-street Police-station, was discharged at half-past one this morning. The prisoner had accosted two or three loose women in Commercial-street, and thereby attracted attention, with the result that a respectably-attired man, of the name of Spooner, who gave an address to the police at Thurlow-place, Wood-street, Bethnal-green, accused him of being "Jack the Ripper," and insisted upon the police taking him into custody. It was soon ascertained by the authorities that the name of the accused was Charles Henry Evison, and that he was a young married man, living at Balls-pond. As to his credentials of respectability there is not the slightest doubt. Amongst other things, a receipt was found on his person, showing that only on the day previous to his arrest he had insured his life for 100 pounds. Another arrest was made in Commercial-street shortly after two o'clock this morning. The individual behaved in a very extraordinary manner, and staggered along the street muttering to himself. When he reached one police-station he was found to be drunk, but as he was not disorderly or incapable he was liberated an hour afterwards, the police having received a satisfactory account of his movements.


One of the men apprehended in the night on suspicion was John Sullivan, an Irish cockney, standing fully 5ft. 11in., and altogether a big, bulky fellow. A constable arrested him in his bed, at 60, Wentworth-street. "Why," asked the officer in charge at the Commerical-road Station, "did you arrest him?" Because, was the reply, on the night of the murder he saw the suspect, who was then wearing a skull cap, in Wentworth-street, at ten minutes past one. He was actually pointed out to him at the time. Here came the point of the controversy, for the deputy of the lodging-house, who had accompanied Sullivan to the station, declared that on that particular night the man went to bed at twelve o'clock, and was certainly still there at two o'clock, when he closed the house. This statement was persistently backed up by Sullivan, who declared that his wife Kate would corroborate the deputy. Besides, added he, the officer would discover at Leman-street Station that, whatever the police would say against him, they would never believe him guilty of such a crime as this. Angry with the officer, Sullivan loudly and vehemently remonstrated with him, but, notwithstanding his remonstrances and his vehemence, he was detained pending the discovery of the woman Kate and inquiries into his statement. There seemed, however, little doubt in the police mind that the man would be released. This took place during the morning.


Dr. Forbes Winslow has stated that nothing has occurred to alter the opinion which he formed last year that the murders in the East-end have all been committed by the same individual, who must be a homicidal lunatic at large. The murderer has apparently had a lucid interval since November 9, when the last crime of the series was committed. During that lucid interval he has probably been unconscious of what he had been doing previously. That this interval has passed off now there can be no doubt, and it is equally certain that there is a dangerous homicidal lunatic frequenting the streets of London.

Source: The Echo, Thursday July 18, 1889, Page 2

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum