Face of Winifred May Davies
Latest topics
» Why Jesus Is Not God
Mon 17 Apr 2017 - 0:09 by Karen

» The Fourth Reich
Fri 14 Apr 2017 - 14:14 by Karen

» Allah, The Real Serpent of the Garden
Tue 7 Mar 2017 - 11:45 by Karen

Sat 4 Mar 2017 - 12:06 by Karen

» Hillary Clinton (Hillroy Was Here)
Fri 28 Oct 2016 - 17:38 by Karen

» Alien on the Moon
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 21:57 by Karen

» Martian Nonsense Repeats Itself
Thu 20 Oct 2016 - 18:43 by Karen

» Enlil and Enki
Fri 7 Oct 2016 - 17:11 by Karen

» Israel Shoots Down Drone - Peter Kucznir's Threat
Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 22:55 by Karen

» Rome is Babylon
Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 21:27 by Karen



Various Victim Info

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Various Victim Info

Post by Karen on Tue 12 Oct 2010 - 23:12

The Bishop of Bedford writes to yesterday's papers to reply to many correspondents who had desired to be informed of the best way to befriend the poor women in Whitechapel, Spitalfields, and the neighbourhood, whose miserable condition had been brought before the public so prominently by the late murders. The Bishop says a night refuge has been proposed, but it would serve no good end, and he earnestly hopes nothing of the kind will be attempted, as it would aggravate the evil. "Another night refuge is not required. It would attract more of these miserable women into the neighbourhood and increase the difficulties of the situation. But what is needed is a home where washing and other work could be done and where poor women who are really anxious to lead a better life could find employment. If intrusted with means to provide such a home I would gladly undertake the responsibility of conducting it in conjunction with the clergy and others, who are only too anxious to see it established. It has oftentimes saddened my heart to be unable to assist the older women and to save those who were hopelessly falling into a life of sin. Such a home would be a fitting addition to the "Court House," the home for younger penitents at Walthamstow, which bears the name of Mrs. Walsham How, and was founded by her in the time of my predecessor, the present Bishop of Wakefield. If anything is to be done it should be done at once. 2,000 pounds would enable the experiment to be tried, and I have no doubt at all of its being a success. Pray allow me space to say to ladies who have been moved to devote themselves for work in these parts that I shall be delighted to hear from such and to advise them where their services are most required, and how they can best give effect to their charitable intentions. It is my bounden duty to use my position and experience to turn to the best account the painful interest that has been excited by late events in the East-end."

A woman had her throat cut by a man at Newcastle, on Saturday. About a week ago, one Margaret Newton, aged thirty, separated from a man named Benjamin Dunhill, with whom she had been living. On Saturday afternoon he sought an interview with her, and half an hour later he was seen to jump from the window of the room on the ground floor, which she occupied in a house in Back Mulborough-street. Fearing something was wrong, a neighbour ran to the door, and finding it locked burst it open. The woman was then found lying on the floor with five wounds in her face and neck. She is in the utmost danger of losing her life. The man was shortly afterwards arrested in a neighbouring public-house.

No advance seems to have been made as yet towards the discovery of the Whitechapel murderer. Several arrests have been made from time to time, but to no purpose; and, as is usual in the case of very notorious murders, several drunken men have given themselves up to the police as being guilty. At the inquests which have been commenced some more details have been given as to the circumstances under which the bodies were found, but nothing appears to have been discovered that suggests a clue. At the commencement on Thursday of the inquest, before the City Coroner, on the woman who was murdered in Mitre-square, Dr. Gordon Brown, police surgeon, stated, what had not previously been divulged, that the mutilation in this case was much the same as in two previous cases, but somewhat more roughly effected. It has been stated by the man with whom the woman murdered in Berner-street lived that she was a Swede, and that she and her husband Stride were on board the Princess Alice when it went down in the Thames, and that her husband was then drowned. It appears that there were a man and woman of the name of Stride in that disaster. It seems, therefore, to be pretty certain that the woman murdered was, as was at first suggested, Elizabeth Stride. It will be remembered that last week a Mrs. May Malcolm said she was quite sure the woman was her sister, Elizabeth Watts, wife of a former wine merchant of Bath. The Central News states that it has succeeded in finding this Elizabeth Watts alive and well in the person of Mrs. Stokes, the hard-working wife of a brickyard labourer living at Tottenham. The police authorities have reproduced in facsimile, and published on the walls of London, a letter and a postcard received by the Central News Agency, and purporting to be written by the murderer. The language is of a brutal character, and is full of Americanisms. The postcard bears a tolerably clear imprint of a bloody thumbmark, which, together with the red colour of the ink and smears of blood, is reproduced in the placard. From the police asking for identification of the handwriting, it would appear that they think that the missives are genuine. After killing Katherine Eddowes in Mitre-square, the murderer appears to have gone to Goulston-street, near by, where he threw away a piece of the woman's apron, on which he had wiped his hands and knife. Within a few feet of this spot there was found written on a wall the words, "The Jews shall not be blamed for nothing."
These words were on the following morning sponged out by a policeman. But some persons state that the handwriting was similar to that of the letter and postcard received by the Central News. Some have thought that the circumstances of the murders are in some respects suggestive of a Malay "running amuck;" and that the scene is not far from the Docks, where Malay sailors are to be found. A petition has been sent by a local vigilance committee to the Queen asking for a reward to be offered by the Government for the discovery of the murderer. This has been laid before her Majesty; but the Home Secretary once more repeats that he has not been able to advise her Majesty that in his belief the ends of justice would be promoted by any departure from the decision already announced with regard to the proposal that a reward should be offered by the Government. A precaution taken by Sir Charles Warren is to make arrangements for the employment of bloodhounds to track the murderer in the event of any further similar crime being perpetrated. An instruction has been issued to the police that they are not to remove the body, but to send notice immediately to a veterinary surgeon in the south-west district, who holds several trained bloodhounds in readiness to be taken to the spot where the body may be found, and to be at once put on the scent. As the double murder took place on the previous Saturday night, fears were entertained by the police that last Saturday night would not pass without some startling occurrence. Accordingly the greatest precautions were taken on that night. Besides the additional police there were large numbers of volunteer patrols throughout the Whitechapel district. Several arrests were made without any foundation; and it seemed at times as if every person in the streets was suspicious of every person he met, and as if it were a race who should first inform against his neighbour.
A sadly remarkable feature in connection with the mutilated trunk of a woman's body that was recently found in a building that is being erected on the Thames Embankment is the number of missing women brought under the notice of the authorities by persons making inquiries about the remains. Apparently very many women leave their friends without communicating with them, and pass entirely out of the cognisance of those nearest to them. Nothing further has as yet been discovered to show who the woman was who appears to have been murdered. At first it was supposed that the bones found at Guildford in August belonged to this trunk. These bones of a right foot and part of a left leg were found on the railway near Guildford station, and were declared by a local doctor to be human. On Saturday they were exhumed, and on being further examined in London they were found to be the bones of a bear. At the inquest, commenced on Monday, it was stated by the doctors that the arms found in the Thames about a month ago, fitted exactly to the body found in the building. The hands indicated that the woman had not been accustomed to do much work. While the vault in which the body was found was being searched by the police on Friday, they had a narrow escape of being killed by a curious accident. As a piece of heavy machinery was being raised by a steam derrick, which stood at the top of scaffolding 65ft. from the ground, one of the "stays" of the derrick broke, and the new machinery fell to the ground. The recoil overset the engine and boiler on the top, and this, a weight of about seven tons, fell also to the ground. There was a great fall of broken staging, and stone work was cast into the vaults beneath just where the body was found. Fortunately no one was materially injured.

Source: The Guardian, October 10, 1888, Page 1498

Karen Trenouth
Author of: "Epiphany of the Whitechapel Murders"
Author of: "Jack the Ripper: The Satanic Team"

Posts : 4907

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum